What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Enforcement

papabear

Juniors
It is great to see all the good news about rugby league out and about.

I think for this season to be really great in terms of interest/crowds/members and everything, the game needs its rules to be enforced clearly and fairly.

- Hand on the play the ball or laying on the ruck. Once held is called if there is a defender with a hand on the ball or slowing the ruck down, not rolling away immediately they should be pinged. No telling people to get off or move. Ref calls held and if their isn't immediate effort to get off, blows whistle penalty. Obviously crap wrestle teams like wayne bennet sides or the storm will suffer but so be it, the more enterprising sides will be rewarded.

- Lost ball or strips. If it is a lose carry or no ref including the touchies could see the strip then obviously a knock on should be called. If the ref actually sees the strip then they call it that way. One day in utopia the stripping rule will be put in the bin with all the garbage bought on by qlders.

- Playing the ball off the mark, honestly it is the most annoying thing in the world and the same players do it. If you dont play the ball where you got tackled, ping immediately and penalty to the defending team. If you try and create a dodgy advantage by playing it off the mark or are too stupid to know where you got tackled a penalty should immediately be blown. This is the most under reffed area of the nrl and is so so so annoying.

If those things get reffed well we are in for a very very good season.

eozsmiles

Bench
I think for this season to be really great in terms of interest/crowds/members and everything, the game needs its rules to be enforced clearly and fairly.

Not implying that the refs are involved in some sort of cheating? NRL mafia?

Springs

First Grade
Nah, let's just enforce one rule at a time so it pisses everyone off like we do every year.

Honestly, it has to be one of the most annoying things in our game. One year it's enforcing touching the ball with your foot in the play-the ball, the next year it's enforcing playing the ball on the mark, the next year it's enforcing the flop penalty, the next year it's running behind your own player, the next it's wrestling. And invariably we see these rules fade away and another rule enforced. How many flops did we see last year? Every other tackle was a damn flop. How often do we see penalties for not touching the ball in a play-the-ball these days?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It is great to see all the good news about rugby league out and about.

- Hand on the play the ball or laying on the ruck. Once held is called if there is a defender with a hand on the ball or slowing the ruck down, not rolling away immediately they should be pinged. No telling people to get off or move. Ref calls held and if their isn't immediate effort to get off, blows whistle penalty. Obviously crap wrestle teams like wayne bennet sides or the storm will suffer but so be it, the more enterprising sides will be rewarded.

- Lost ball or strips. If it is a lose carry or no ref including the touchies could see the strip then obviously a knock on should be called. If the ref actually sees the strip then they call it that way. One day in utopia the stripping rule will be put in the bin with all the garbage bought on by qlders.

- Playing the ball off the mark, honestly it is the most annoying thing in the world and the same players do it. If you dont play the ball where you got tackled, ping immediately and penalty to the defending team. If you try and create a dodgy advantage by playing it off the mark or are too stupid to know where you got tackled a penalty should immediately be blown. This is the most under reffed area of the nrl and is so so so annoying.

If those things get reffed well we are in for a very very good season.

That's what they do now. It just doesn't even out perfectly over the course of a game or season and even if it did we as fans have a tendency to remember the bad calls that go against us much clearer than the other ones so we'd still complain.

papabear

Juniors
That's what they do now. It just doesn't even out perfectly over the course of a game or season and even if it did we as fans have a tendency to remember the bad calls that go against us much clearer than the other ones so we'd still complain.
I agree it evens out over the year.

I dont agree that they do it like that all the time now. IMO in some games the refs tend to go on runs where one side because of preconceptions of the ref or whatever, just makes strip/knock on calls all one way, you see it about 5 or 6 calls in a row.

As a fan sometimes these runs go for my team sometimes against my team but its disgusting either way. The refs shouold just stick to the rules and whether they saw the strip or not, not let other things like whether they are a dirty player, good team or whatever get in their mind.

I like the comment about becoming a ref, if my life wasn't so busy and I didn't waste time on forums I would love to be one!!

pHyR3

Juniors
introduce captain's challenge FFS.

they are trialing it for a SECOND year in NYC. Even after it saved the tigers TWICE in 3 minutes in golden point from certain losses, and we went on to win that semi final

LJC

Juniors
Also think that playing or attempting to play the ball with the foot needs to be enforced. After all this is a major RL rule that creates a discipline at the core of every passage of play.
It's very important and should be a major consideration in refereeing the ruck.

Latest posts