What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

JJ

Immortal
We'll see how he goes. Never understood why some thought he was a world beater, he's never looked decent when not surrounded by superstars

Looks like another retirement signing

Cold Roses

Juniors
Well you might need to learn to love him.

Because barring a last minute contract clanger, he'll be here next year.
That probably ensures another move out the door on our end too.

You seem pretty sure it's not for 4 years? I can't see him bothering to move for any less than 3 though. 2 years I could live with.

Penrose_11

Juniors
We'll see how he goes. Never understood why some thought he was a world beater, he's never looked decent when not surrounded by superstars

Looks like another retirement signing
I remember him at Wests several seasons back and he wasn't much chop there without any superstars around him. He was great at Melbourne and when he started out with NZ. Even now with the Bronc's he's more of an enforcer and definitely not a meter eater. I think I'd prefer him at lock forward if with us next year. I don't think he's the type of prop we're in need of.

What do they say - desperate things bring desperate measures.

JJ

Immortal
I remember him at Wests several seasons back and he wasn't much chop there without any superstars around him. He was great at Melbourne and when he started out with NZ. Even now with the Bronc's he's more of an enforcer and definitely not a meter eater. I think I'd prefer him at lock forward if with us next year. I don't think he's the type of prop we're in need of.

What do they say - desperate things bring desperate measures.
Yes him at 13 and Mannering on an edge would be fine. But as you say that doesn't address the middle issue and he doesn't come close to replacing what Mannering does there so I'm left wondering what the point is.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I don't see him providing much benefit for us wherever he plays tbh. If we're going to invest the type of coin Blair will end up getting, I'd rather pay that to 1-2 top quality 21 yr olds with a future. In my mind Blair is wasted money.

He's probably only coming here to hook up a post career position in his home country.

Reactions: JJ

Iafeta

Referee
Quite frankly our forward pack needs a fundamental overhaul of personnel, attitude, and desire. So at the moment I don't really care for the names, in fact, I'm quite happy to look beyond player resumes and stats and focus on whether a bloke will bleed for the jersey. I don't think we have anything to lose in this, because frankly we have nothing, Mannering aside, in our pack that is worth feeding.

If Blair comes, and somehow they land Graham, I'd be quite happy. In hindsight our spine is overly stacked and it hasn't allowed us to address massive fundamental shortcomings in our pack. We need better balance, so I'm happy to invest in experience. Provided it's more than just Blair.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't see him providing much benefit for us wherever he plays tbh. If we're going to invest the type of coin Blair will end up getting, I'd rather pay that to 1-2 top quality 21 yr olds with a future. In my mind Blair is wasted money.

He's probably only coming here to hook up a post career position in his home country.

The problem for me with this is I still think RTS and Shaun are fine players. Shaun though is now getting into mid career territory. We need to start making something happen before we end up achieving nothing with him in the club.

I also think a big part of what we need to change is attitude and commitment. I'm not sure flashy 21 year olds deliver that.

What you won't get from Adam is a shit attitude, which is a good bloody start.

Would he be my first choice? No. But we are going to have to understand that we may have the best of intentions but we aren't able to attract what we need.

If we bring Adam here plus another 2 players then I'll be ok with that.

If any of those two land up being Greg Eastwood I won't be.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It happened so long ago it's easy to forget Harris is a new signing as well, and we've signed Pulu as well as Cherrington and Santo on low value depth deals.

If we get Blair then two players on top of it, that's probably a larger influx of talent in a single season than we've had for some time.

We could potentially have Mannering/Luke surrounded by a whole new starting forward pack if SK selected it that way.

People will still complain, but I don't think anyone can say we're not genuinely trying to fix the issues.

Although the mention of Eastwood makes me fear he's a genuine consideration.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I'm actually a massive Eastwood fan but just not at the 130 kegs that he's currently playing at.

He was a junior star when he started out at Brisbane. A #6 from Manurewa playing centres and wing for the Broncos. Hands like a champion. It's just s shame Des has him on the cream donnut diet.

If he signed with us on the proviso he would only play 1st grade if chiming in under 110kgs I'd take him.

ERLeague

Juniors
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11898310

And while the Auckland-based club is already resigned to losing Foran, the Kiwi international's departure could help them in their bid to sign current Bulldogs captain James Graham.

The former England captain is not among the players Canterbury would prefer to let go. However, Bulldogs management may find it easier to move on a high profile star - and wipe a large portion of their overspend - rather than trying to entice rival clubs to snap up several of their lower tier players.

The Warriors are not putting all their eggs in one basket and are actively trying to recruit players already available, with around 100 players across the completion still unsigned beyond this season.

The club is continuing discussions to entice Kiwis captain and Brisbane front-rower Adam Blair across the Tasman, and are remaining tight-lipped about other options up their sleeve.

BLN2

Juniors
I wouldn't mind Eastwood, if say we got Blair, a Paulo and kept Lillyman. Playing him as a bench forward. I'm not sure what he's like as a leader, that's what we severely lack and is why lillyman hasnt re signed yet.

At the end of the day it all depends on what type of contract he'd be signed on and what his fitness was like (if he came).

We all know Greg HAS been very effective in the past, but hasn't had a great past 2 years. At 30, he's still got 3-4 good years left in him.

But, there's a lot of risk with him.

Either way, there's so much going on at the Dogs who knows what will happen.

JJ

Immortal
Not a Blair fan but he'd have to be geniused to leave the Broncos for this shit

ERLeague

Juniors
JACK Bird’s agent, David Riolo, insists the Sharks’ grand final-winning centre is still heading to the Broncos next year.

We have heard otherwise and it’s a story we’ll be monitoring closely over the next few weeks. The Sharks can’t make Bird an offer to stay because it would be enticing a player to break a contract.

If, however, he can convince the Broncos he wants to stay closer to his family, it might change things. The Sharks could then allow James Maloney to accept a big-money offer to go elsewhere.

Leber

Bench
Blair will be a crap signing, Eastwood is even worst. However when you have been crap for 6 seasons, you have precious few options. We need to take what we can get and right now, it's aging kiwis.

ERLeague

Juniors
https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/95484655/warriors-close-in-on-signing-adam-blair

Kiwis captain Adam Blair has chosen to join the Warriors and will negotiate a release from his contract at the Broncos.

It is believed Blair is looking to sign a four-year contract with the Auckland based NRL club, which would take him through until he's 35

Meanwhile, another player the Warriors have been interested in, Jordan Kahu, has signed a three-year deal to remain at the Broncos.