What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and More Crap V

Status
Not open for further replies.

natheel

Coach
i'm just still stoked we managed to get Will Hoppa to the club while running close to last, last year when he won the comp.

anyone else is a bonus!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
They'll tell you that Jarrad Hickey left 3 years ago but was on a back ended contract
Graham would be on over 400k and so is Pritchard,Tolmen wouldn't have come cheap and neither would have Eastwood throw in Ennis and that is by far the most expensive pack in the comp. But yes you are right Hickey and Sherwins back ended deals will finally have finished and you have to remember Sonny Bill has left them as well :crazy:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Graham would be on over 400k and so is Pritchard

No f**king way. My guess is about $300k-$350k each. About the same as Poore, Hindy and Fui would be getting.

Tolmen wouldn't have come cheap and neither would have Eastwood throw in Ennis and that is by far the most expensive pack in the comp.

Tolman and Eastwood would both be on less than $300k. I doubt Ennis would be on much more than $300k - he's not a superstar.

Agreed they're all on good money but no more than most teams' starting packs. And forwards don't get as much as spine players anyway - the best forwards in the game (Gallen, Blair, Thaiday) are on about half a million whereas plenty of halfbacks and fullbacks are on $500k+

The best ones are on well over that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hodko
Pritchard
Barba
Morris
Ennis
Graham
Eastwood
Tolman

I doubt any of those guys would be cheap.

I reckon they'd all be on less than $400k with Barba, Morris, Eastwood and Tolman on less than $300k.

Seriously, are any of them elite players to deserve elite money? Most of them are just good first graders. Similar to the Manly squad last year.

bartman

Immortal
The Manly squad that won the premiership...

Throwing cash after elite players - and hence upsetting the salary balance and depth of the rest of your squad - is a desperation tactic imo. It is a tactic that coaches who simply don't have the confidence and ability to get the best out of whatever players they inherit often fall victim to.

Throwing cash after elite players - and hence upsetting the salary balance and depth of the rest of your squad - is a desperation tactic imo. It is a tactic that coaches who simply don't have the confidence and ability to get the best out of whatever players they inherit often fall victim to.

Every coach has splashed the cash don't delude yourself. Brian Smith was the king of that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

That's why I mentioned them. Also, the Dragons of the year before - once again no superstars. Just good players across the board.

That's why I'm glad we didn't end up throwing overs at an edge forward.

We've got Hayne, Sandow and soon Hopoate. That's all the stars we need. Any other roster shortfalls can be solved by good first graders bought at a reasonable price (i.e. $250k-$300k rather than $450k-$500k).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Every coach has splashed the cash don't delude yourself. Brian Smith was the king of that.

I dunno about that. He took over a very expensive squad but how many big names did he bring to the club? There was Dykes but he wasn't exactly a star - he hadn't played Origin or won a premiership. Taylor was unwanted anywhere else. Hodgson and Drew were both considered potential stars but were just first graders when Smith signed them.

Our main issue while Brian Smith was coaching us was lack of quality halves, which repeatedly f**ked us in finals football. I suspected no quality halves wanted to come here while Smith was in charge, which made it all the more surprising when he took the Roosters to the grand final with Pearce and Carney in the side.

Then again, Pearce was already there, and Carney was on the career scrapheap. There's also the fact that Carney couldn't get out of there quick enough.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I dunno about that. He took over a very expensive squad but how many big names did he bring to the club? There was Dykes but he wasn't exactly a star - he hadn't played Origin or won a premiership. Taylor was unwanted anywhere else. Hodgson and Drew were both considered potential stars but were just first graders when Smith signed them.

Our main issue while Brian Smith was coaching us was lack of quality halves, which repeatedly f**ked us in finals football. I suspected no quality halves wanted to come here while Smith was in charge, which made it all the more surprising when he took the Roosters to the grand final with Pearce and Carney in the side.

Then again, Pearce was already there, and Carney was on the career scrapheap. There's also the fact that Carney couldn't get out of there quick enough.

I thought the roosters punted Carney? I like your story but.

Status
Not open for further replies.