What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
I would also make the point that not only was Nathan raving about the mates here, he was also raving about the resources and the way the rehab staff had treated him. All things that would appeal to a professional athlete. Good signs.

Tom

This is why I don't see him leaving.

MrBlack

Juniors
Also he is just 20.

A 3 year extension with us leaves him plenty of time to hook up with dad later.

It occurs to me that with the Broncos having made clear that they want to replace Bennett, if Bellamy decides to remain at the Storm, Bennett's position at the Broncos becomes untenable at the end of next season at the latest. Griffin has a 60% and rising win record at Penrith, I just wonder if they might try to get him back.

Doubtful Paul White was the one that sacked him. Didn't give him credit either for laying the building blocks for the 2015 grand final appearance either. Hook had his short comings at the Bronco's but he did blood a lot of their younger players before Bennett came back.
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/b...n/news-story/feb40b1c5299d2b7b6c783ee0f5d173a

TheFrog

Coach
Also he is just 20.

A 3 year extension with us leaves him plenty of time to hook up with dad later.
The other thing to consider is that although Ivan is solid as a rock at Wests now, things might be different by the end of next year. Nathan might go to the Tigers only to find Dad no longer the coach soon after.

Kilkenny

Coach
I disagree. His comments were tactful and inoffensive. He had to give a reason why he sacked Ivan and he used an innocuous statement.

As an executive you have to fire people all the time. You cannot divulge the reasons why publicly. That is why people say things like 'left to pursue other opportunities', rather than 'he was an arsehole who bullied staff so he had to go'. I am in no way inferring Ivan left for any reason than what Gus said, but if its true, he was tired, to say so is hardly a damaging statement or indictment of Ivan's ability.

With hindsight, Ivan may realise Gus was right. He needed a change.

100% spot on. The sacking of Ivan Cleary was handled most professionally and it would not have been a pleasant task for Gus, but one that he clearly believed was in the best interests of Ivan and the club.

And its his job to lie. He really shouldn't be on Twitter it can only cause problems. He's also a bitch on there and will close his account when someone calls out his bullshit

He basically said yesterday he’s back on twitter for a specific reason. My guess is it’s to troll the games leadership. He’s pissed off.

Kilkenny

Coach
Personally, I think the thought of playing under your dad would be a distraction rather than an attraction and best avoided.

The West Tigers have just signed Moses Mybe to a four year deal and while most likely signed as a full back he is equally adept in the halves. The Tigers halves in Reynolds & Brooks are signed for a further three years so bringing in Nathan Cleary would require a fair bit of juggling to fit him in not to mention to big money he would command. I think the chances of him going to the West Tigers are virtually zero.

Kilkenny

Coach
I love Nath and I really hope we keep him. That being said I think our succuss this year is off the back of the best pack in the game, I hope we keep that in mind when making tough decisions over the next 12 months.

If there is one thing this season has shown is the importance of depth accross the roster.

I don't know how much Nathan Cleary earns currently but it is likely to be modest in relation to some of the half backs in the NRL who earn $1M plus per season. If he does stay with the Panthers then he too will be in the $1M plus club and that come's at a cost. The cost will be we will have to release or choose not to resign at least a couple of players from our roster which impacts on our depth. I think we have to be sensible in term's of what we offer Nathan. He is SOO player now and sure we will have to pay the going rate. But if the Bronco's or Roosters want to break the bank and are offering to make him the highest paid player in the game at say $1.5M or more per season then we may have to say good bye with our best wishes. If he does go it will be a whole lot easier to retain everyone else we want to keep and I'm sure the next Nathan Cleary may be in the production line somewhere.

franklin2323

Immortal
If there is one thing this season has shown is the importance of depth accross the roster.

I don't know how much Nathan Cleary earns currently but it is likely to be modest in relation to some of the half backs in the NRL who earn $1M plus per season. If he does stay with the Panthers then he too will be in the $1M plus club and that come's at a cost. The cost will be we will have to release or choose not to resign at least a couple of players from our roster which impacts on our depth. I think we have to be sensible in term's of what we offer Nathan. He is SOO player now and sure we will have to pay the going rate. But if the Bronco's or Roosters want to break the bank and are offering to make him the highest paid player in the game at say $1.5M or more per season then we may have to say good bye with our best wishes. If he does go it will be a whole lot easier to retain everyone else we want to keep and I'm sure the next Nathan Cleary may be in the production line somewhere.

$1m would get us a decent half and keep the pack together. $1m on the cap should be the most we offer

tripster

Juniors
I love Nath and I really hope we keep him. That being said I think our succuss this year is off the back of the best pack in the game, I hope we keep that in mind when making tough decisions over the next 12 months.

Very true. For mine, a forward we absolutely have to keep is Kikau.

The guy is a game breaker and emerging as one of the dominant impact forwards in the game (who can also play a full game instead of coming off the bench).

I expect unfortunately that some other clubs are going to throw stupid money at him once he is off contract (i.e if Woods is worth $850k a season, what is Kikau potentially worth?.). I could see a club struggling for impact forwards (like Parra) going all out to sign him.

BxTom

Bench
Very true. For mine, a forward we absolutely have to keep is Kikau.

The guy is a game breaker and emerging as one of the dominant impact forwards in the game (who can also play a full game instead of coming off the bench).

I expect unfortunately that some other clubs are going to throw stupid money at him once he is off contract (i.e if Woods is worth $850k a season, what is Kikau potentially worth?.). I could see a club struggling for impact forwards (like Parra) going all out to sign him.

Yes, but Aaron is special. Not many women make it in the NRL.

Tom.

Here's a difficult hypothetical question. If we had to lose three of our forwards in order to keep the majority of our pack, along with Cleary, who would you reluctantly let go out of the following:

Merrin
RCG
CHN
Yeo
JFH
Kikau
Tamou
Hetheringron

Exsilium

First Grade
Here's a difficult hypothetical question. If we had to lose three of our forwards in order to keep the majority of our pack, along with Cleary, who would you reluctantly let go out of the following:

Merrin
RCG
CHN
Yeo
JFH
Kikau
Tamou
Hetheringron

CHN will be the first to give way.

The rest I couldn’t tell ya

TheFrog

Coach

Merrin
RCG
CHN
Yeo
JFH
Kikau
Tamou
Hetheringron
They seem to let go players who weren't developed at the Panthers, so that would be Merrin and Tamou. I'd be very reluctant to let Kikau go, likewise Hetherington who wouldn't be on big money and has some excellent bloodlines. So maybe CHN for the third one, if it were absolutely essential, but by that time you'd be weighing up how much we want to keep Nathan.

mxlegend99

Referee

Merrin
RCG
CHN
Yeo
JFH
Kikau
Tamou
Hetheringron
Tamou. Merrin. CHN/Hetherington

Purely because the others have a high ceiling and are dirt cheap in comparison.

Not sure on Hetherington or CHN. We don't know how high Hetheringtons ceiling is. Dont think we would need to lose either if we let Mez and Tamou go. That's $1m+ easily.

snickers007

Juniors

Merrin
RCG
CHN
Yeo
JFH
Kikau
Tamou
Hetheringron

Tamou
Hetherington
Harawira Naera

In that order. For mine, Yeo and Reg are the heart and soul of our team. Merrin is the workhorse. Fish is our enforcer and Kikau is the x-factor.

The rest are replaceable, even though I do love CHN's lines and versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.