What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make enquiries by all means, but all it will do is force his price up at the Storm.

Munster has had a difficult relationship with Bellamy, I’m not so sure that a good offer wouldn’t be tempting to him.

Of course we wouldn’t have the money for both Munster & Cleary.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
We need to do whatever we can to sign Taupau. That's the sort of player we need.
I think part of the reason Merrin has fallen so far below being an Australian prop is because acceleration for a guy his size was his biggest strength. Acceleration starts to drop in your late 20's whereas strength starts to drop around the age of 40. Part of it, no doubt his weight but I don't think Merrin's strengths were ever going to result in a long career like Gallan has. He could delayed his decline by keeping ripped (keeping in mind he was injured during pre season last year and there isn't much you can do then) but he could never going to be close to Australian prop form at that age. The props you see performing well into their 30's are guys who's pure physical strength is one of their primary assets, like Tapau.

Last edited:
Jane, with respect, you never offer anything up to back up your opinions.

What is it specifically that gives you confidence that Nathan Cleary can control the team? When did he last really create a try through a kick or a pass?

Luia showed more in attack in the game against the warriors than Nathan ever has, he was putting on passes & little deft kicks. He showed the complete repertoire of a first receiver.

If anything there’s an argument for Luai to be the main man & for Cleary to be a second receiver with more space.
It is called having an opinion, that is all.

Exsilium

First Grade
I don’t see premiership winning qualities in Nathan Cleary.

He’s good but he’s not that good. In fact, what does he have?

Vision? No.

Control? No.

Kicking game. Do bombs count?

Running game? Yes.

Composure? Yes.

Given our poor form of late I believe every player is open to criticism. Nathan offers very little right now.

Why don’t you flesh your opinion out though?

My opinion is actually backed up with some data & observations, yours is just “it’s my opinion”

It honestly baffles me.
It honestly baffles me that you can't, or I should say won't, accept that I have my own views. I don't care about statistics at all. Also, I do watch the game. Let sleeping dogs lie, and enjoy the remaining hours of the weekend.

OldPanther

Coach
It honestly baffles me that you can't, or I should say won't, accept that I have my own views. I don't care about statistics at all. Also, I do watch the game. Let sleeping dogs lie, and enjoy the remaining hours of the weekend.

I think he's just trying to understand your loint of view and why you hold it. It's a good way to connect with people.

I think he's just trying to understand your loint of view and why you hold it. It's a good way to connect with people.
I know, however, I am sick to death in having to justify myself. Yes Nathan has been below standard, however, he can improve. I blame the poor coaching.

OldPanther

Coach
In the spine yes, the Storm move forwards all the time. You can't keep messing around with the spine though.

Panthers roster management.

giphy.gif

maple_69

Bench
I think the main difference in Cleary pre and post Origin is we watched a kid with huge potential pre and now expect an Origin winning half post. The other is, nobody in our side can hold onto the ball.

Exsilium, go ahead and add half of the game (defence) to your list and he is close to the best half in the league.

Cleary has always struck me as a Cronk type. Not a natural footy player but precise, well drilled and consistent. If we had a quality structure (and hooker) I think Cleary would really start to reach his potential.

I think the main difference in Cleary pre and post Origin is we watched a kid with huge potential pre and now expect an Origin winning half post. The other is, nobody in our side can hold onto the ball.

Exsilium, go ahead and add half of the game (defence) to your list and he is close to the best half in the league.

Cleary has always struck me as a Cronk type. Not a natural footy player but precise, well drilled and consistent. If we had a quality structure (and hooker) I think Cleary would really start to reach his potential.

Defence may be half the game but it’s not integral for a 7.

Give me a below average defender at 7 that can create tries any day over a high quality defender who rarely creates opportunities.

The problem Cleary has is he’s not good at either attacking kicking or passing, his short kicking game hasn’t been almost non existent this year. You need something in your arsenal to get your teammates over the line. There’s no X factor there.

Ok, maybe he improves under a better structure & a better hooker. But why would you risk $1 million per season on a maybe? Particularly if it’s his dad coming back to coach us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hook is where x-factor goes to die.

In 7 years as head coach not a single half has played their best footy under Hook. Not to say they havent been decent under him. But like clockwork they go and improve under a new coach that lets them use their ability. Corey Normsn is onr of the best examples of that. He looked to have no vision or x-factor under Hook. 12 months away from him and he's actually a decent player. Scummy human. But decent player.

Nathan is only 20 years old and until a fortnight ago had spent his entire NRL career under a coach who didnt want his players backing themselves.

In 2 weeks he has already began running more and having a variety of kicks up his sleeve. We still have no game plans or set plays as such to execute though. He's a player who will do exactly what his coach wants. Put him under a Bellamy or Bennett and he goes on to have a Cronk like career. Bennett would do wonders for a number of our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts