What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
He'd still probably be behind Whare, Hiku and Edwards.

given he was horrible when he played in 2015. No surprise he wasn't a re-signing priority. Even when he scored 5 tries in the game against Warriors none were really him more so Cleary or Edwards putting him over

betcats

Referee
Yeah he has plenty of potential but there were much bigger priorities to keep in that nyc side. Given how keen Shane Richardson was on him it would of been far to expensive to keep him as someone with 5 or 6 guys in front of him for a spot on the wing let alone in his preferred centre or FB positions.

Kilkenny

Coach
Watching Brayden Burns in our NYC side I never got the feeling the guy had NRL quality stamped all over him. Yes he scored a few tries, in a very good side, but he had his defensive issues and was never fully convincing. My opinion only and probably will be proved wrong but time will tell. It is interesting he appears to have got the jump on Robert Jennings already. I did think Robert had the potential to be the best of the Jennings brothers but he really hasn't quite kicked on, has certainly had his share of injury and I suspect isn't quite up to it.

mxlegend99

Referee
Watching Brayden Burns in our NYC side I never got the feeling the guy had NRL quality stamped all over him. Yes he scored a few tries, in a very good side, but he had his defensive issues and was never fully convincing. My opinion only and probably will be proved wrong but time will tell. It is interesting he appears to have got the jump on Robert Jennings already. I did think Robert had the potential to be the best of the Jennings brothers but he really hasn't quite kicked on, has certainly had his share of injury and I suspect isn't quite up to it.
Burns was clearly the standout centre for us last year... in a side that ripped teams to shreds Rob Jennings wasnt really that dangerous.

He seemed to go backwards following his NRL debut. Not sure why. But up until then he did look potentially the best of the bunch.

The Mole has finally caught up. I posted this news 2 weeks ago.

Watene-Zelezniak set for Panthers extension
By The Mole
March 1, 2017

STAR Penrith winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is close to signing a new long-term deal with the Panthers.

RLW has learned that Watene-Zelezniak – who is out until round three with a knee injury – is about to sign a rich three-year deal.

The signing is a major coup for the Panthers, with several clubs interested in signing Watene-Zelezniak.

The Kiwi international comes off terms at the end of the season and the Panthers have been keen to get him under lock and key before rival clubs begin making form offers.

Born in New Zealand, 21-year-old Watene-Zelezniak moved to Australia at the age of five.

He made his NRL debut as a teenager in 2014 and brought up his 50th top grade game late last season.
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/watene-zelezniak-set-panthers-extension/

mxlegend99

Referee
Once that happens we have kept everyone we needed to. Amazing really.

Especially with Tamou coming on board.

Panther91-03

Juniors
We are set perfectly for the next few years. The only thing I worry is that we did all this by following the eels salary cap playbook. It just seems too perfect to be to true that we have all these high quality players inside the salary cap.

I don't know maybe I'm thinking crazy its been a really long off season I just want round 1 to finally kick off dammit!

soc123_au

Staff member
I think the advantage we have now is players want to be here. It's pretty well documented Sauce has taken unders twice now to stay. Maybe the others are seeing the benifits of being a Panther as well.

MrBlack

Juniors
I think the advantage we have now is players want to be here. It's pretty well documented Sauce has taken unders twice now to stay. Maybe the others are seeing the benifits of being a Panther as well.

agree - this is where we want to be.

Also I cant remember the last time we had a player in the papers for the wrong reason!!

betcats

Referee
agree - this is where we want to be.

Also I cant remember the last time we had a player in the papers for the wrong reason!!

The worst thing that happened last year was Peach being dropped for showing late to training. Player behaviour has been great the last couple of years outside of James Roberts. There was that Carty/GF trouble not long ago but that doesn't count.

betcats

Referee
Ive said this before but we really did get lucky with this batch of young players, not just for their talent level but for their personalities and how well they all seem to get on. There seems to be very little ego between them and they all seem humble and well behaved off the field. From the 2013 bath through to the batch from last season they seem like fairly high character young men. That is from an outsiders perspective, they might be different behind closed doors but I haven't seen anything to suggest that.

TheFrog

Coach
It just seems too perfect to be to true that we have all these high quality players inside the salary cap.
Did anyone catch that Telegraph journo (didn't catch his name) on NRL360 last evening suggesting we might have a salary cap problem at the end of this season due to resigning players too early on the basis of what the cap might be?

I just wonder what the legality of any sanctions against a club under these circumstances (where the governing body has been tardy in announcing next year's arrangements) might be. Or do our players who've been resigned have clauses that outline a scale according to what the cap turns out to be. That would seem to be the logical solution.

maple_69

Bench

Junior nursery finally being managed well also. Our spine outside of Moylan would be on bugger all for their quality. We are also in the position where we can let guys go if they are proving too expensive as there are 3 young young blokes with a world of talent waiting to do the same job for 100k. Throw in wanting to play with their mates, great facilities and a better shot at winning premierships and rep jerseys over the next few years and it looks pretty different to Parra who had just bought established players for their whole spine (Gordon, Norman, Foran, Peats).

maple_69

Bench
Also forgot DWZ is still so young. Debuted at 18. Hasn't hit his prime yet. I think he's in for a big year outside Blake.

Did anyone catch that Telegraph journo (didn't catch his name) on NRL360 last evening suggesting we might have a salary cap problem at the end of this season due to resigning players too early on the basis of what the cap might be?

I just wonder what the legality of any sanctions against a club under these circumstances (where the governing body has been tardy in announcing next year's arrangements) might be. Or do our players who've been resigned have clauses that outline a scale according to what the cap turns out to be. That would seem to be the logical solution.

I did see that but I don't see how we can get in trouble based on the NRL's own issue.

Kilkenny

Coach
Phil Gould is too astute to leave himself open to issues with the salary cap. Fear not we will have no issues and they can audit us till the cows come home. We will have no issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.