What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
Who do you guys reckon will be starting hooker next year? I noticed Mitch Kenny has been out of the team the last couple of weeks
Kenny starting, Luke in a bench role I assume.
Isn't he in jail
No he never went to jail. He's playing for the Sea Eagles reggies team.
I’m not sure what a 94kg back row, fill in centre adds to our roster.

Its only me, but given the loss of strike power in Kikau leaving our club I would have thought it was somewhat important to try and replace with a like for like.

Maybe there are legs to the rumour, but we have half a dozen Luke Garners in our NSW Cup, junior ranks already so if we have signed him I must be missing something.
Disagree. Jordan Riki is strike player who doesn't make metres for a forward but is big and explosively quick. Our bench second rower is on a reggies contract (John Faiumu) so isn't in the top 34. Geyer I think is playing prop, he's talented but raw he needs time to develop. Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jayne, will probably get too big and lose the agility to defend at second row anyway and will move into the middle. The only player sorta like him in reggies is Chris Smith, a reliable no frills player who's played enough first grade to know what kind of player is week to week.

What Ivan gets out of Garner is reliability in first grade. He's a solid toiler week to week. Rookies are often up and down and struggle to consistently get up for games mentally week to week, year in year out.

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
Be in
What we have next season and how I'd go
1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Charlie STAINES
3. Izack TAGO
4. Stephen CRICHTON
5. To'o
6. Jarome LUAI
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. Leota
9. Taylan May
10. James FISHER-HARRIS
11. ???
12. Luke Garner
13. Isaah YEO

14. Salman
15. Scott SORENSEN
16. Spencer LENIU
17. Liam Martin
There is no way Taylan May is our starting hooker next year.

Why would you want to move Martin from the starting side?

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Be in

There is no way Taylan May is our starting hooker next year.

Why would you want to move Martin from the starting side?
I'd prefer him over Kenny or luke. Martin can come on for Impact like Spencer, teams would be outdone and games will be over quick smart.

Original Name

Juniors
I'd prefer him over Kenny or luke. Martin can come on for Impact like Spencer, teams would be outdone and games will be over quick smart.
Hooker is the toughest position to play in the NRL. Making plenty of metres on the wing is easy stuff in comparison to making 55 tackles every week most of them forwards 15 kilos bigger than you and keeping your service consistent doing it every week. then you have to mix that with engaging the markers but knowing when to give straight to your creative players. Playing hooker when he was 14 or whatever is completely irreverent compared to doing it in the NRL. I played hooker when I was like 12 and I made like 5 real tackles all year, it doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
You think so, we don’t have a lot of free cap space, why spend it on Luke Garner. We got Riki, Geyer, Lisati and as yet unknown quantities from Flegg/Ball sides. If true this is a very underwhelming signing. We have issues in other areas .

Can play centre too. Perfect bench forward

Iamback

Coach
What we have next season and how I'd go
1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Charlie STAINES
3. Izack TAGO
4. Stephen CRICHTON
5. To'o
6. Jarome LUAI
7. Nathan CLEARY
8. Leota
9. Taylan May
10. James FISHER-HARRIS
11. ???
12. Luke Garner
13. Isaah YEO

14. Salman
15. Scott SORENSEN
16. Spencer LENIU
17. Liam Martin

A few of those guys aren't re-signed even

Kilkenny

Coach
Far be it from me to question the decisions of people who know better but I just think When you have successful NSW Cup, Flegg and Ball sides surely there are a back rower or two in our ranks who can fulfil the breach. Garner is certainly not going to replace Kikau that is a given.

Kilkenny

Coach
Can play centre too. Perfect bench forward
Can we agree to disagree.

Jaemon Salmon delivers as much as Luke Garner.

we’ve clearly got limited cap space, why were spending some of it on Luke Garner escapes me.

If Garner is in our top 17 in 2023 we have issues.

Crashtest

Juniors
Far be it from me to question the decisions of people who know better but I just think When you have successful NSW Cup, Flegg and Ball sides surely there are a back rower or two in our ranks who can fulfil the breach. Garner is certainly not going to replace Kikau that is a given.
He might be replacing Salmon, who hasn’t resigned yet, as our bench cover for 2nd row and centre.

Iamback

Coach
Can we agree to disagree.

Jaemon Salmon delivers as much as Luke Garner.

we’ve clearly got limited cap space, why were spending some of it on Luke Garner escapes me.

If Garner is in our top 17 in 2023 we have issues.

Salmon covers more positions.
likely has to be back up 9 depending on who starts

You can go Salmon
Garner
Prop
Prop

As your bench and cover any position.

Still need a starter to replace Kikau though

Iamback

Coach
Kurt Capewell was described the exact same way when we were short in the centres. Turned out just fine.

We lack depth in the backrow. The three options you have listed have never played first grade. I'll take Garner on a cheap deal and if the others are good enough they make the 17.

That is it.
Lisati is a beast and close to Kikau's attributes but won't be ready in Round 1.
Garner is perfect to fill in

Panfa

Juniors
Garner is a good hole runner who can score a few tries.He has speed and deceptively strong for his 94kg frame.Hes no kikau but he's not lazy like kiks either.

Kilkenny

Coach
Salmon covers more positions.
likely has to be back up 9 depending on who starts

You can go Salmon
Garner
Prop
Prop

As your bench and cover any position.

Still need a starter to replace Kikau though
I just don’t get it mate.

I just don’t see what he offers over and above what we already have.

Latest posts