What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
So $11.5m cap

Backline goes

Edwards $850k
??
May $500k
Tago $600k
To'o $600k
??
Cleary $1.2m

$3.75m

So 1/3rd of the cap on a backline with still a 6 to find.

Again why would we add Turuva if someone can do the job for 1/3 of the price? Alamoti, McLean and Iongi are already contracted so we have budgeted them anyway

That is what the salary cap does
Do the same job.

Why not release Iongi and Jesse McLean and keep Turuva.

We have a couple of other fullbacks coming thru in reserve .

You have said yourself Casey McLean is a couple of years off NRL. I’m not sure that is true but we have either failed to retain or allowed to leave another fine locally produced NRL quality player for a lousy $50-$100k a season.

If we move May back to the wing next season he is going to be earning $500k which seems odd given so many here promote this notion you can’t overpay for wingers.

Jack Cole is yet to truly provide a convincing argument in NSW Cup he is NRL quality either as a centre or a five eight. Trent Toelau is arguably been playing better and he is just train and trial deal.

I think it is a shame, I really do, to have not retained Turuva For a lousy $150k over three seasons.

Iamback

Coach
Do the same job.

Why not release Iongi and Jesse McLean and keep Turuva.

We have a couple of other fullbacks coming thru in reserve .

You have said yourself Casey McLean is a couple of years off NRL. I’m not sure that is true but we have either failed to retain or allowed to leave another fine locally produced NRL quality player for a lousy $50-$100k a season.

If we move May back to the wing next season he is going to be earning $500k which seems odd given so many here promote this notion you can’t overpay for wingers.

Jack Cole is yet to truly provide a convincing argument in NSW Cup he is NRL quality either as a centre or a five eight. Trent Toelau is arguably been playing better and he is just train and trial deal.

I think it is a shame, I really do, to have not retained Turuva For a lousy $150k over three seasons.

Because you need 30 players. Those guys you mentioned would be on minimum wage or close to it.

So there is no savings by doing that. You are spending $150k per player atleast.

Luai is perfect example.

$850k offer.

Cole is contracted already.

But we need a player. Even a minimum wage leaves $700k left.

That likely was the extra for Kenny, Tago and May

Cole would be the cheapest 6 in the comp. That is the trade off for keeping those guys

Kilkenny

Coach
Happy to have the discussion. What position are you taking the money from to give them the rise?
Don’t pay front rowers who only play 40 minutes for 10 hit ups and 100 metres at best on a good day twice the money.

Lets be frank here , you have suggested JFH at some point in his current deal is or was being paid $950k.

Well I would suggest we have a few front rowers currently who can do the same job at a fraction of the price. Same with Moses Leota, love him but does he deliver week in week out for his reported $600k or more salary.

Kilkenny

Coach
Because you need 30 players. Those guys you mentioned would be on minimum wage or close to it.

So there is no savings by doing that. You are spending $150k per player atleast.

Luai is perfect example.

$850k offer.

Cole is contracted already.

But we need a player. Even a minimum wage leaves $700k left.

That likely was the extra for Kenny, Tago and May

Cole would be the cheapest 6 in the comp. That is the trade off for keeping those guys
You get what you pay for.

Don’t pay front rowers who only play 40 minutes for 10 hit ups and 100 metres at best on a good day twice the money.

Lets be frank here , you have suggested JFH at some point in his current deal is or was being paid $950k.

Well I would suggest we have a few front rowers currently who can do the same job at a fraction of the price. Same with Moses Leota, love him but does he deliver week in week out for his reported $600k or more salary.
Yes because there’s part of their game which stats alone cannot quantify. They are leaders, their professionalism and setting of standards during the week is just as important as their stats after games.

For these reasons they are worth the amount they are paid. It takes 10-14 hours a day, 7 days a week to prepare for 80mins. Just because we don’t see all the background work doesn’t mean it isn’t factored into their worth.

Kilkenny

Coach
Frankly, no complaints at all not paying overs for Jerome, $750k probably reasonable and his true value so happy for him getting ridiculous money at the Wests Tigers.

JFH great player, great servant but good business in my opinion freeing up his money, he is no longer the player he once was and certainly not an $800k or more front rower.

So in respect of Sunia Turuva established in our top side, performing very well, we can’t find a measly extra $50k or so a season because we have cheaper options who may or may not deliver anywhere near the same.

Ill miss his passion, love for the jersey, it is a real shame and it is a shame more don’t feel the same way.

WestyLife

First Grade
You get what you pay for.

This conversation is a bit frustrating to read. People are going all in on emotion to make arguments for salary cap management. You have to spend a minimum amount of your cap and you need 30 players. If you don't cheat you will inevitably lose players you want to keep more so a club like Penrith who are going so hard on developing players. Also api is his cousin probably had some part to play.

Iamback

Coach

If the $950k figure is correct.

It still puts him behind

AFB
Tino
Haas

As far a contract amount. He is atleast the 4th best prop in the game. He and Moses for that matter always turn up in big games.

Not sure a $600k prop is giving that certainty when it comes to those games.

So while the contract seems high it seems just under market value for his standing in the game

Iamback

Coach
Has there ever been a club like ours ripped apart by other clubs and the salary cap as much as ours, if there is I can't dam remember it

No team has been this good. Storm were good but had the Roosters matching them so both sides got picked apart.

We are by far the best side this decade. No one comes close number wise so hence we feel it most

Kilkenny

Coach
This conversation is a bit frustrating to read. People are going all in on emotion to make arguments for salary cap management. You have to spend a minimum amount of your cap and you need 30 players. If you don't cheat you will inevitably lose players you want to keep more so a club like Penrith who are going so hard on developing players. Also api is his cousin probably had some part to play.
I don’t agree Westy. It is not emotion.

As I have said wish Jerome well, offer too good to turn down. Glad we didn’t break the bank for him.

JFH obviously family issues at play leading to his request but at the same time it actually does work out well for us purely from a salary cap perspective.

In respect of Sunia Turuva however I find it unfathomable that we couldn’t somehow of not upped our offer sufficient to retain him. I watch a lot of the juniors and NSW Cup and I’m not persuaded the alternatives are anywhere near the same level currently.

betcats

Referee
Our success has been built of the back of the back three.

I think our wingers deserve a pay rise!

The back three for all our success has been edwards too and insert winger. Literally a different winger with edwards and bizza every year. We have given edwards and biz pay rises and locked them up. They are by far best and most consistent of our back three performers since 2020.

Munky

Coach
JFH offers amazing speed off the line in defence and is always pushing up no matter the fatigue level.

That is where we have received the value from his contract.

The middles are using their energy smashing the opposition coming out of their end and then we get the ball back out to halfway by tackle two off the kick. At which point regular hitups are less needed.

2022 GF is the case in point. Parra forwards couldn't get out of their 30m.

Would you trade that for an extra 50m from each starting prop?

Girds89

Bench
Well... the club clearly has a plan.

Casey mclean will jump jesse by next year.

Iongi is a fb only.

Alamonti is a centre.

For mine deaon had the most potential on the wing. Tall and fast. Bit rocks and diamonds but youd like to hope he could fix that stuff.
Shame he isn't playing every week in cup.

I don't believe the 1.3m war chest for a second. But with luai, fish and now turuva going youd like to hope theres 1 mil. If 1.3m is true youd like to hope we could get 2 decent signings.

Prop and a 2nd rower would be what id go after.

Pjf04b

Juniors
As good as the back 3 are, it is the forwards who do the front line defence and keep the opposition where they have to kick to the advantage of the back 3.

Kilkenny

Coach
The back three for all our success has been edwards too and insert winger. Literally a different winger with edwards and bizza every year. We have given edwards and biz pay rises and locked them up. They are by far best and most consistent of our back three performers since 2020.
That’s true I don’t disagree but Turuva has stepped up and has been an important player this past 18 months.