What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Pjf04b

Juniors
There must be some plan in place, or I hope there is!
Perhaps somebody should ask Turuva why he is signing elsewhere. Maybe the there is personal reasons for it.

Original Name

Juniors
There must be some plan in place, or I hope there is!
Perhaps somebody should ask Turuva why he is signing elsewhere. Maybe the there is personal reasons for it.
He was desperate to stay. Was probably hoping for an offer anything close and would have taken less.
Don’t pay front rowers who only play 40 minutes for 10 hit ups and 100 metres at best on a good day twice the money.

Lets be frank here , you have suggested JFH at some point in his current deal is or was being paid $950k.

Well I would suggest we have a few front rowers currently who can do the same job at a fraction of the price. Same with Moses Leota, love him but does he deliver week in week out for his reported $600k or more salary.
Rugby League is more than metres made. How often does someone run at a Sorenson or Lindsay Smith and get quick play the ball the ball? How often does someone run straight at Fish and get a good play the ball? The answer isn't the same I would guarantee.

The way Fish and Leota get back into the line then position themselves so they can cut off angles so consitently under fatigue is elite, opposition players are wary of Fish and Leota coming forward in defence and that effects their game. They aren't wary of Sorenson, Eisenhuth, Henry, Smith, etc well and truly hurting them. Well not yet for Henry.

I would much rather they made less metres, played less minutes and put their body through less wear and tear so they can play at an elite level for longer. Look at Tamaulolo. Made all these metres was such an awesome player taking all these runs and look at him now. If Moses is managed right he'll still be an elite prop until at least 33.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
JFH offers amazing speed off the line in defence and is always pushing up no matter the fatigue level.

That is where we have received the value from his contract.

The middles are using their energy smashing the opposition coming out of their end and then we get the ball back out to halfway by tackle two off the kick. At which point regular hitups are less needed.

2022 GF is the case in point. Parra forwards couldn't get out of their 30m.

Would you trade that for an extra 50m from each starting prop?

For me it isn't the potential extra metres. You aren't getting the consistency. So many packs go MIA in big games.

Moses especially lifts several gears every time

Iamback

Coach
Well... the club clearly has a plan.

Casey mclean will jump jesse by next year.

Iongi is a fb only.

Alamonti is a centre.

For mine deaon had the most potential on the wing. Tall and fast. Bit rocks and diamonds but youd like to hope he could fix that stuff.
Shame he isn't playing every week in cup.

I don't believe the 1.3m war chest for a second. But with luai, fish and now turuva going youd like to hope theres 1 mil. If 1.3m is true youd like to hope we could get 2 decent signings.

Prop and a 2nd rower would be what id go after.

May being able to play high quality wing helps

There are plenty in the Jersey Flegg age group that could do a job. Edwards and To'o run 200m a game so we just need someone to not lose ground in that part of the field

Yeah I think people are overestimating Fish's deal, No way he goes to Warriors for less. The $700k that deal works out to be would be closer to the mark

Blues Riff

Bench
In what world does the best player in a professional sport playing in a lucrative competition go to an inferior competition earning far less money so he can live with his girlfriend without her having to sacrifice her status in women's soccer?

Sorry, but that shit just doesn't happen and it'd be a travesty if Nathan chose to tarnish his career by doing so.
A more likely scenario would be Mary pushing a pram around Leonay within 2 years. The lovely Miss Fowler has repeatedly stated that her main ambitions are an Olympic medal and starting a family.

Frankus

Juniors
We replaced the best hooker in the game with a plodder (who has a ton of ticker) and came out alright. Turuva is a good player but he's just a winger.
Some of the emotional shit over the last days over him and Nathan's little brother leaving is unbelievable
Yep, agreed. McLean and Alamoti are both ready for first grade. Wingers are easier to replace than one of the best props the game has seen since Shane Webke or Glen Lazarus.

Girds89

Bench
I think the thing people are missing is.

Tago, tiny, turuva... they all carved up in nsw cup. McLean isnt carving up. The others are probs a few years off. Daeon isn't getting a chance to start.

Anyway no doubt the plan will be

Edwards
Tiny
Tago
Alamonti
Too

Tago and tiny always carved up when they were paired up in cup on the same side.

WestyLife

First Grade

Tago, tiny, turuva... they all carved up in nsw cup. McLean isnt carving up. The others are probs a few years off. Daeon isn't getting a chance to start.

Edwards
Tiny
Tago
Alamonti
Too

Tago and tiny always carved up when they were paired up in cup on the same side.

I don't see it much so have to take tour word for it. Tago mat certainly killed it when paired in first grade.

Iamback

Coach

Edwards
Tiny
Tago
Alamonti
Too

Dude they debuted during Covid there was very little lower grades for the both of them.

If a club can't find a winger from a NSW Cup side who is undefeated then the club has big issues

Iamback

Coach
I don't see it much so have to take tour word for it. Tago mat certainly killed it when paired in first grade.

What we need in a NRL winger isn't tries it is the hard stuff.

Turuva is ave 143m a game.

for comparison in NSW Cup

Alamoti 159m
McLean 142m

Alamoti playing at centre in NRL last 142m

What you need to add to the is the boost they will get because teams will kick to them as opposed to To'o/Edwards.

So they will get a few easy metres across the game.

So for half the price the numbers are similar, hence why the club didn't budge on their offer despite having the cash

WestyLife

First Grade
What we need in a NRL winger isn't tries it is the hard stuff.

Turuva is ave 143m a game.

for comparison in NSW Cup

Alamoti 159m
McLean 142m

Alamoti playing at centre in NRL last 142m

What you need to add to the is the boost they will get because teams will kick to them as opposed to To'o/Edwards.

So they will get a few easy metres across the game.

So for half the price the numbers are similar, hence why the club didn't budge on their offer despite having the cash

Can't argue with that. I said in previous comments it's not disrespect to Turuva as some seem to be getting worked up about.

Pantherjim.

Referee
We replaced the best hooker in the game with a plodder (who has a ton of ticker) and came out alright. Turuva is a good player but he's just a winger.
Some of the emotional shit over the last days over him and Nathan's little brother leaving is unbelievable

Jett Cleary going to the Wahs for three years = talk to the hand. Nowhere near ready to play first grade yet. He will be back at the foot of the mountains once he is ready.

Turuva is a different kettle of fish altogether. IMO There are currently no viable options to replace him for next season. Taylan May? Sure, but quite frankly I don’t think Alamoti is ready to fill in at centre yet to replace May. Sure he had a great game against the Tigpies last week, but they are just that: The Tigpies. Won’t be convinced until I see him against more formidable sides like the Storm, Broncs or Cronulla. The Dogs have found him to be suspect in defence before they released him to us, and this is something that will take time for Ivan and the coaching staff to rectify.

In the meantime, Sunia asking for an extra 50k a season was not unreasonable for a Winger of his calibre IMHO.

Anyway, a bit late now.

MrBlack

Juniors
I agree. In our setup he is a just a winger.

at the Tigers he will be a centre/fullback

He wont be a fullback at the Tigers. They already have a long term one.

He will be a centre, which to me seems strange.

I dont recall Turuva ever passing a ball in first grade.....

Iamback

Coach

Yeah he doesn't have much of a passing game, That is why he is getting after

WestyLife

First Grade

He'll be there back up fullback in case of injury.