What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Some may think we need a "big boppa" to be totally dominant up front.

But we have been in 4 and won the last 3 GF's with what we have.

My perspective after watching footy for over 50 years now, tough and mobile forwards are the best option for success, the last 3 premierships will attest to this.

Parramatta, Newcastle, Canberra, and many other not as successful as Penrith clubs, have just had to have the "big boppa" and it just doesn't cut it anymore.

What we got ain't broke, so there's nothing to fix.

Ivan knows what he's doing.

Not really.

We had Spencer for 3 of those premierships.
Had Kiks the 2 of those.

We aren't them same side. It may not be a big bopper it may just be speed but the side needs something different off the bench.

Carrying a 14 who sees no gametime
With 3 forwards who are solid but don't trouble the defence won't be good enough for the big games

MugaB

Coach
Not really.

Had Kiks the 2 of those.

We aren't them same side. It may not be a big bopper it may just be speed but the side needs something different off the bench.

With 3 forwards who are solid but don't trouble the defence won't be good enough for the big games
We don't need another prop this season, not for a turuva swap deal, I mean we still have fish, that's insulting to Sunia and our current squad, maybe we might need a mid season pick up, but not a swap deal, my guess is that alamotti was there for back up for conversions incase, both Edwards and Nathan's injuries flaired up, along with the siging news of turuva this week, he can convert well enough to cover goal kicking duties

Not really.

Had Kiks the 2 of those.

IMO, Spencer was/is not a "big boppa", Kikau played on an edge and very rarely took the dirty, hard, get belted, hit ups.

Having a 14, not carrying a 14, for emergency purposes only, is a testament to the fitness level our coaches have got the club to.

Last night in Townsville, our team played what was put in front of them, they both had the climate to contend with, and we won using pure guts and determination.

Oh, and a bit of skill and talent...

Iamback

Coach
IMO, Spencer was/is not a "big boppa", Kikau played on an edge and very rarely took the dirty, hard, get belted, hit ups.

Having a 14, not carrying a 14, for emergency purposes only, is a testament to the fitness level our coaches have got the club to.

Last night in Townsville, our team played what was put in front of them, they both had the climate to contend with, and we won using pure guts and determination.

Oh, and a bit of skill and talent...

Spencer might of been a big bopper as such but his leg speed and quick play the balls got the side moving forward. As opposed to just holding ground or going backwards.

I am not downplaying how we went but all of our games we have won. There has been a huge amount of luck go our way.

You aren't going to win the comp on luck and defence alone

Spencer might of been a big bopper as such but his leg speed and quick play the balls got the side moving forward. As opposed to just holding ground or going backwards.

I am not downplaying how we went but all of our games we have won. There has been a huge amount of luck go our way.

You aren't going to win the comp on luck and defence alone
Maybe the unfair salary cap is biting us at the moment.

Faith in the system which has been tested 4 years straight now is what we fans have, not bagging the decision of the staff who continually get it done, albeit with some hiccups along the way.

Winning by 30 every week just ain't gonna happen, so please just let the staff do their job, and try to enjoy it.

Iamback

Coach
Maybe the unfair salary cap is biting us at the moment.

Faith in the system which has been tested 4 years straight now is what we fans have, not bagging the decision of the staff who continually get it done, albeit with some hiccups along the way.

Winning by 30 every week just ain't gonna happen, so please just let the staff do their job, and try to enjoy it.

No doubt the salary Cap is biting and I don't expect to win by 30 but look at our results so far.

Storm we were kept to 0

Parra- Injuries forced a back a backline reshuffle which we took advantage of

Broncos - Walsh lasted 4 minutes. We took advantage of them having a forward out wide

Roosters - granted we were going well early on in that one. Ended up winning by 6 after they had that BS call on JWH for obstruction. Followed up by Martin taking out a defender let play on.

Manly we were belted in most areas.

Tigers we were down 6-0. Should of had Schneider in the bin. That happens we likely concede a try or 2. Very different coming back from 12 or 16 down.

Then last night. 2 of our 4 tries they handed to us.

So I don't expect 30 point wins. I will take a good solid win that we can say we earnt on merit not through luck.

No doubt the salary Cap is biting and I don't expect to win by 30 but look at our results so far.

Storm we were kept to 0

Broncos - Walsh lasted 4 minutes. We took advantage of them having a forward out wide

Roosters - granted we were going well early on in that one. Ended up winning by 6 after they had that BS call on JWH for obstruction. Followed up by Martin taking out a defender let play on.

Tigers we were down 6-0. Should of had Schneider in the bin. That happens we likely concede a try or 2. Very different coming back from 12 or 16 down.

So I don't expect 30 point wins. I will take a good solid win that we can say we earnt on merit not through luck.

We were erratic the first two months of last year.
Our whole pack was out of form. Martin was absent for most of the first 10 rounds.
Struggling attack. Losses against Broncos, Souths, Eels and the Tigers.
An ugly win over the Knights.That game was terrible.
TBH I thought over the Origin period last year with a bits and pieces team we finally clicked.
As someone said in another thread. We usually click into gear a few weeks before Origin. Everyone wants to impress.

Iamback

Coach
We were erratic the first two months of last year.
Our whole pack was out of form. Martin was absent for most of the first 10 rounds.
Struggling attack. Losses against Broncos, Souths, Eels and the Tigers.
An ugly win over the Knights.That game was terrible.
TBH I thought over the Origin period last year with a bits and pieces team we finally clicked.
As someone said in another thread. We usually click into gear a few weeks before Origin. Everyone wants to impress.

All good points. As I said we are sitting in 3rd while not playing that well. It is a good place to be and certainly not time to worry yet BUT it does look as though if there is an area to tweak it is the bench

Storm we were kept to 0

You're not saying that we only win by luck I hope!!!

As Jack Gibson once said, "you're only as good as your opposition let's you be"

Sometimes the other teams have a big say in how we play.

Iamback

Coach

Not at all. We have had stuff go against in those games too that is footy. My point was just that we have yet to put in a decent 80 min performance.

Frankus

Juniors

We are defending premiers. Everyone gets up for us and wants to knock us off. That’s why it is so hard to go back to back let alone 3 or 4 in a row. Every side lifts when they play us. The fact we are sitting in the top 4 having only had a full strength side for 2 or 3 of our 7 games is very good. Not to mention we are carrying a number of plodders in the 17 at the moment.

maple_69

Bench
Being 3rd is about what you’d expect from Penrith fumbling along. It doesn’t mean a stack though as we saw last year, the 3rd and 4th best sides were the length of the straight back from the top 2. I’d say Brisbane and Melbourne are the only serious contenders and they’ve been super patchy as well.

Frankus

Juniors
Being 3rd is about what you’d expect from Penrith fumbling along. It doesn’t mean a stack though as we saw last year, the 3rd and 4th best sides were the length of the straight back from the top 2. I’d say Brisbane and Melbourne are the only serious contenders and they’ve been super patchy as well.
The sharks are looking pretty good at the moment too. Probably peaking too early