What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Michael Matral

Juniors
There is more to a prop than metres gained.
How fast does he play the ball?
How hard does he hit the line?
How hard does he hit in defence? do rival forwards avoid him?
How many defenders does he draw in?
How long in a stint before his output drops?
Does he have any 2nd phase play in him?
What is his lateral movement like?
What is his one-on-one defence like?
Can he grind out the metres when we are struggling on our 10 metre line?

I have no idea if Stefano is a target of ours, but I do know his best is yet to come, and he is different style of prop to Huth.
I agree, his best is not yet realised..do we take the punt that it will be with us? At $400k maybe? At $8-900k..not so much.

I have no idea if Stefano is a target of ours, but I do know his best is yet to come, and he is different style of prop to Huth.
I think people forget that Fish wasn’t the Fish we love now until 5 years ago. I think Stefano is ahead of him at the same age.

That doesn’t mean that he will be better than Fish, but he has huge potential.

Iamback

Coach

You are also looking at the player in our system.

Not having to carry the ball some sets means his line speed is going to improve. As will has energy for when we need a middle to get over the advantage line

MugaB

Coach
You are also looking at the player in our system.

Not having to carry the ball some sets means his line speed is going to improve. As will has energy for when we need a middle to get over the advantage line
Why are we looking at stefano anyways, we have lumbering guys to play prop, a realistic replacement for fish is a mobile lock/backrower, we have big guys to play prop, Leota, Smith, even the great god Yeoweh is very rangy, JFH might be big and muscley but he is very agile, athletic and powerful, he was never your standard prop, just turned into one, probably the best example of human physiology for that position, his tackling and power is all due to him NOT being a lumbering oaf like prop...
We should be looking at another Liam Martin like player, but on the cheap, we'll never find another Fish, nor should we settle for mediocre lumbering tigers props, just coz they are available on the market

Why are we looking at stefano anyways, we have lumbering guys to play prop, a realistic replacement for fish is a mobile lock/backrower, we have big guys to play prop, Leota, Smith, even the great god Yeoweh is very rangy, JFH might be big and muscley but he is very agile, athletic and powerful, he was never your standard prop, just turned into one, probably the best example of human physiology for that position, his tackling and power is all due to him NOT being a lumbering oaf like prop...
We should be looking at another Liam Martin like player, but on the cheap, we'll never find another Fish, nor should we settle for mediocre lumbering tigers props, just coz they are available on the market
Nice way of putting it.

I'll add, we don't buy other clubs shiny toys, they buy ours.

I'll also add, we create the players to suit our system, which has been somewhat successful, then put a notional value on each player for our system, and pay them what our system allows.

This is when ALL our players become "shiny" and the other clubs pay overs for the new "toy".

Iamback

Coach

Because we have a few Martin type players in lower grades.
What we don't have is a big beast of a human that can bend defences back.

Iamback

Coach
Nice way of putting it.

I'll add, we don't buy other clubs shiny toys, they buy ours.

I'll also add, we create the players to suit our system, which has been somewhat successful, then put a notional value on each player for our system, and pay them what our system allows.

This is when ALL our players become "shiny" and the other clubs pay overs for the new "toy".

Because we can't develop NRL ready players they take time.

Whether we get Stefano or not. That is the sort of player we need if we going to limit Fish's loss.

23 now. Will turn 25 in year 1 of his deal.

So you are looking at the player hitting their peak while here - that part for me is key. We have really young guys and don't want to bring in a old guy

62 NRL games now. Over that magic 50 game to become a FGer.

Had an Origin game.

No where near the resume of Fish but who in our system can beat that?

Iamback

Coach
Leota martin and Yeo say hi, do you want more

We are losing the best prop in the game on top of those guys.

Yeo is 30 this year
Leota 30 next year

over the next 2-3 years they will start to decline. You want to replace Fish with someone that is a regular FGer now but will be coming into their peak as those guys decline.

It is how you make the best of Fish leaving by extending the premiership window

Chins get the wins

First Grade
We are losing the best prop in the game on top of those guys.

Yeo is 30 this year
Leota 30 next year

over the next 2-3 years they will start to decline. You want to replace Fish with someone that is a regular FGer now but will be coming into their peak as those guys decline.

It is how you make the best of Fish leaving by extending the premiership window
Haas is the best prop in the game