What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

jack coburn

Juniors
Absolutely - whatever another club actually pays him, the NRL have to apply the value of his Titans 2025 deal as a minimum. It wasn’t just the titans who offered him that sort of money, there were a few clubs willing to pay $1m. And there’s clubs now that would be willing to pay $1m+ (Titans, Dargons, Raiders), so there is his market value. If they allow him to go to a Premiership contender for less than his current deal, that makes the salary cap pointless. (Or should I say even more pointless) as it is clearly not giving an equal distribution of talent.

How much was Ash taylor on when he left the Titans. Pretty sure wasn't on the same . There's plenty of precedent's of players taking less than offered to go somewhere else.
Didn't Canberra offer Whiten over a mill but went to Souths for 800. Same with Latrell. Unfortunately there's probably players at all the top clubs who play for less and always will be. Just as lower clubs will always have to pay over's to get top players.

mxlegend99

Referee
Fifita has an option in his contract. So if he chooses not to extend he has no contract value for 2025.

Choosing that option you would have to say $850k is pretty f**king generous for what he has delivered the past few years still.

If Panthers missed out and signed Crichton instead I think we might be better off to be honest. He’s a consistent performer. Better defender too.

But i fully expect Roosters to get their man and keep Crichton still. I think he is happy at Roosters and wouldn’t actually consider leaving for another NRL club. Only Rugby.

Wb1234

Referee
Fifita has an option in his contract. So if he chooses not to extend he has no contract value for 2025.

Choosing that option you would have to say $850k is pretty f**king generous for what he has delivered the past few years still.

If Panthers missed out and signed Crichton instead I think we might be better off to be honest. He’s a consistent performer. Better defender too.

But i fully expect Roosters to get their man and keep Crichton still. I think he is happy at Roosters and wouldn’t actually consider leaving for another NRL club. Only Rugby.
Chooks were trying to offload chriton to union

he’s had two good games I wouldn’t want him unless it’s a cheap deal and no more then two years

Apey

Staff member
Will Gus Gould sook about Fifita if he goes to the Panthers like he did when Storm signed Coates?

MugaB

Coach
Will Gus Gould sook about Fifita if he goes to the Panthers like he did when Storm signed Coates?
Why would gus care? If anything means there's one less panther playing pantherball that he could poach, he about to get triple yatzee, and we are about to see penrith vs penrith lite this Friday

Woody90

Juniors

meh

transit lounge

There really should be some kind of cap concession for blokes coming to the end of their careers that have spent a lot of time at one club.

Doesn’t seem right for him to finish his career with the mercenaries but we can’t afford to try and get into a bidding war with the Roosters either. Dom Young would be ecstatic as Gagai was responsible for the majority of his tries last year.

nick87

Coach
f**k... i didnt think he'd leave the Titans but jesus if that report is true that's pretty f**king cool

Woody90

Juniors
f**k... i didnt think he'd leave the Titans but jesus if that report is true that's pretty f**king cool

When you have the option of the Panthers success or the Roosters money chasing you the Titans were never going to hold onto him.

age.s

First Grade
There really should be some kind of cap concession for blokes coming to the end of their careers that have spent a lot of time at one club.
There is. It's not a huge amount and it has a cap per club but it is there.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't buy into any of this media talk around looking at Fifita is an un-Penrith sort of move and might disturb the culture and ethos they've had around how they develop players over buying them.

If you get the chance to buy a guy who has Fifita's upside and place him in an ultra high performance, high expectation culture like Penrith's, on the back-end of three straight premierships when you feel like momentum might be waning a bit, that's a no brainer. If it doesn't work out, fine. But gee, it could be exactly what they need to go on and win another three. Especially when his other destination is the Roosters, and they look devastating at present.

Black Panther

Juniors
Not sure if Fifita signs or not, but can’t wait to hear to the whingers if he does. Penrith haven’t really gone to market for years for players of his calibre, yet have lost about 25 First graders in the the last 4 years..

soc123_au

Staff member
I thought it was really small, like less than 10% discount or something.
It is small, but it does exist. Not sure how it would apply to Gagai though, he has bounced around a bit. Finishing at a mercenary club would probably be fitting.

Titans fans if there’s any on here just look at it as a big mistake coming off your books. He hasn’t added any success to your team. How he played against the Storm last week is what you expected from him every week for 1million a season. But we all know he only put that performance on because he was shopping himself around this week. He just doesn’t put in performances like that consistently.

Iamback

Coach
It is small, but it does exist. Not sure how it would apply to Gagai though, he has bounced around a bit. Finishing at a mercenary club would probably be fitting.

Not him but the Saifiti's for example would have part of their contracts covered by this. The extra $200k or what ever allows guys like Gagai to be kept