What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Tweed Titan

Bench
Good riddance. He only plays on the offensive side of the ball anyway. Time to rebalance our cap and stop spending $1 million plus each on forwards.

Hopefully Laffrancchi gets sacked though for these comical mid season clauses.

Nealo 12

Bench
Ha ha called many pages back it was all a distraction to take the scrutiny away from the roosters ... funny even the media bought into the sham Lolz

Colk

First Grade
And more people tune out. The salary cap is a f****** joke and the player transfer system is an embarrassment and it will never be sorted.

Probably a good move for all parties. Fifita is a downhill skier which a top team can afford to carry but under delivers for a bottom team.

That said, it’s always laughable when you hear how the cap is supposed to distribute talent across the clubs yet apparent marquee players go from bottom teams to top teams.

Only morons say this.

If we choose to believe morons, that’s our own fault.
I would agree with this. It’s there to stop clubs going broke trying to compete with the big 3 (Broncos, Roosters and Storm). See without it these three clubs between them would have contested in all 27 grand finals in the nrl era.

With a cap that 27 goes down to 20.

gerg

Juniors
It still very much applies
Without a salary cap it would be a free for all, and clubs like the roosters and broncos would be able to pay substantially more. Payroll would be pushed beyond the nrl’s grant and teams would go broke trying to keep up with the Jones’s

the existence of a salary cap is what prevents wages scaling out of control and allows the nrl to manage payroll costs at a level that is sustainable for the entire league
Yes I'm a nincompoop to some degree. Would not having a salary cap change the top 4, which seem pretty consistent in the NRL era?

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
Probably a good move for all parties. Fifita is a downhill skier which a top team can afford to carry but under delivers for a bottom team.

That said, it’s always laughable when you hear how the cap is supposed to distribute talent across the clubs yet apparent marquee players go from bottom teams to top teams.

For less money of course. Maybe it is time for the game to actually have notional values on players and stick to them

Colk

First Grade
It still very much applies
Without a salary cap it would be a free for all, and clubs like the roosters and broncos would be able to pay substantially more. Payroll would be pushed beyond the nrl’s grant and teams would go broke trying to keep up with the Jones’s

the existence of a salary cap is what prevents wages scaling out of control and allows the nrl to manage payroll costs at a level that is sustainable for the entire league

Sure but that is a p*** poor outcome in reality. I’d rather any club die (that’s including mine) than have no chance of success.

In essence if the ARLC actually care about the quality of the competition (btw even more so considering they are wanting to expand) they probably try and think of something better than a salary cap - I did hear V’Landys talk about it but if he gets a draft through or any other better system than that would be a great accomplishment.

nick87

Coach
Yes I'm a nincompoop to some degree. Would not having a salary cap change the top 4, which seem pretty consistent in the NRL era?
Not having a salary cap would essentially turn the game into an ESL situation where short of some Liecester mircale, only 3-5 clubs a year would go into the season thinking they are a real chance at a premiership because of talent disparity

Now id say that is roughly the case in the NRL too, except a key difference, the 3-5 club can and does change over time. It doesnt without a salary cap. To quote someone i saw earlier, with a cap - The rich get richer and the poor get the picture. A club like ours, run the way ours is, probably wont win another premiership in our lifetime... without a salary cap... you might as well put us in the dirt, we have NO HOPE.
Hope is pretty important for fans

Last edited by a moderator:

nick87

Coach
Sure but that is a p*** poor outcome in reality. I’d rather any club die (that’s including mine) than have no chance of success.

In essence if the ARLC actually care about the quality of the competition (btw even more so considering they are wanting to expand) they probably try and think of something better than a salary cap - I did hear V’Landys talk about it but if he gets a draft through or any other better system than that would be a great accomplishment

Brother, i ask you google the ARU and it's downfall and consider how dying clubs impacts a competition.
No competition benefits from their organisations dying,

I agree we need more than a salary cap and some form of draft or other mechaism for parity of player talent is required, especially as we expand out to an 18th team... but killing off clubs is absolutely not the answer.

Latest posts