What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
We probably won't sign anyone decent but it won't be for lack of money thrown their way. We could seriously be $2mil+ under the cap next year they way things are going
It's looking that way, maybe more depending on cap increase? Pretty remarkable.

PhilGould

Bench
Hopefully we don't panic and throw stupid money at the wrong players (like Stone & Hagan did with Hodko).

Canberra were in a very similar position to us a few years ago, playing a team of young juniors and throwing big money at players (Tedesco, Proctor, JWH, Mansour) and getting rejected. We're going to have to pay overs for a couple of players to get the ball rolling, we just have to make sure they're the right type of players.

perverse

Referee
I've been saying it for years guys... SBW
No thanks. Aaron woods instead.
The problem is neither would come, even for ridiculous overs. We are unfathomably unfashionable.

Everyone is trying to find a path to the top of the table with our signings... but it's just never going to happen that way. Our signings at the moment really should be geared around targeting mid-table... at least we then might be able to attract some top-line talent. I don't think Browns plan is going to work if he thinks he's can get the rep players he needs before we start winning. He's going to need to get us winning playing moneyball a la Brian Smith. At the height of Smithys reign we were starting to look like a team that could attract interest from good players. That's the blueprint for mine.

... and based on the above, I'm really warming to JM's idea of Scott Bolton. A great, unfashionable but serviceable target that would be a lot better in our squad than many others. It's clear the likes of Woods and co. just won't come here... and the more we get knocked back by these players - the more it reinforces that perception. Honestly, I would stop targeting the top of the market at this point, I feel like we're just embarrassing ourselves. The general belief amongst fans is that it's all about the money - but good players are flat out knocking us back for a LOT less money.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
You can earn $100-200k in rep payments a year. Why jeopardise that by coming to the knights to get pumped every week and collect spoons?

Without 4-5 signings it doesn't matter how talented ponga is, we'll pick up another spoon in 2018

Knight76

Juniors
The problem is neither would come, even for ridiculous overs. We are unfathomably unfashionable.

Yeah, I know. It's not like the Knights have even mentioned Woods, or appear to be looking at him at all.

It's a depressing state of affairs.

macavity

Referee
Yeah, I know. It's not like the Knights have even mentioned Woods, or appear to be looking at him at all.

It's a depressing state of affairs.

My mail is he and Teddy are all but re-signed, his manager is just holding back on signatures to try to get some more coin for the halves... hence the "deadline".

macavity

Referee
You can earn $100-200k in rep payments a year. Why jeopardise that by coming to the knights to get pumped every week and collect spoons?

Without 4-5 signings it doesn't matter how talented ponga is, we'll pick up another spoon in 2018

Careful, Caped Crusader will roll his eyes at you

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I saw a list of off contract players at the Warriors and there's quite a few forwards in that list:

Matthew Allwood, Blake Ayshford, Erin Clark, Kieran Foran, James Gavet, Charlie Gubb, Ato Hingano, Ryan Hoffman, Shaun Johnson, Jacob Lillyman, Mason Lino, Ben Matulino, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Ofahiki Ogden, Nathaniel Roache, Ligi Sao, Patrick Sipley, Toafofoa Sipley, Bodene Thompson, Albert Vete

I confess that I don't know all that much about some of these players. Lillyman to me would be the most reliable option but Matulino would have a bigger upside. Does anyone in here knwo a bit more about these guys and does anyone think that we could score a gem or two out of that lot? The Warriors forwards always seem to be big and skilful which is something that we desperately need.

Well not completely true,gagai is a perfect example and still selected,tigers are rubbish and tedesco and woods are selected and the list goes on.it does not help being in low ranking side selectors often see past that.you pay overs on the 2 marquee fowards like woods or klemmer a great half which would be bird .then everybody would get on board with the knights.cant deny if we had those guys that we would be in finals each year.you had that chat to bird and say hey we are gonna get these fowards and ponga at fullback and safitis are taking it up enougher notch he would not be tempted.

perverse

Referee
Gagai was earmarked for QLD greatness well before he got here. He was just about Ponga-level special as a junior.

Knight76

Juniors
and safitis are taking it up enougher notch he would not be tempted.

He would probably laugh his arse off. The Saifitis are great prospects. Time will tell if they take it up any more levels. To me they don't seem to have the drive in them.

Just my opinion on how I've seen them go.

perverse

Referee
He would probably laugh his arse off. The Saifitis are great prospects. Time will tell if they take it up any more levels. To me they don't seem to have the drive in them.

Just my opinion on how I've seen them go.
Totally agree, the Saifitis need to find some aggro in their game. They're very young, but they are pretty ploddish with their massive frames.

They can make careers out of what they're doing now, but if they can find some aggression they can be rep players.

Scar Tissue

Juniors
Couldn't agree more, the big talk in the off season was how they had put on weight & were ready to mix it with the big boys. What good is weight if your not using it, no energy or agression evident, them & most other forwards except Barnett & Buhrer look like they are on tranquilisers, very lethargic & wouldn't bruise a grape. God I hope they don't buy Woods as he is just like that too & won't add the drive, go forward or inspiration so sadly lacking at the moment.

perverse

Referee
Couldn't agree more, the big talk in the off season was how they had put on weight & were ready to mix it with the big boys. What good is weight if your not using it, no energy or agression evident, them & most other forwards except Barnett & Buhrer look like they are on tranquilisers, very lethargic & wouldn't bruise a grape. God I hope they don't buy Woods as he is just like that too & won't add the drive, go forward or inspiration so sadly lacking at the moment.
Yep, Woods isn't going to teach these kids to fire up. Welcome to the forums, too.