What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Old dog

Juniors
If he plays strong, Broncos style, and not Tigers then he will be an asset, think it's that comparison/doubt that makes us worry, agreed he is not Graham, but not many are.

perverse

Referee
If he plays strong, Broncos style, and not Tigers then he will be an asset, think it's that comparison/doubt that makes us worry, agreed he is not Graham, but not many are.
Exactly. He's been shown to mail it in in the past. Poor leadership material imo. People do grow and change, although not as much as people would like to believe.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I dunno if it was him or if it may have been a product of the environment the Tigers club was in at the time. They were traveling pretty badly and was revealed later to be a pretty toxic place. Not sure anyone would have been playing their best footy there

I have to admit, his time in Brissy has been reminiscent of his Storm stint. Tough, no nonsense and aggressive. I'm hoping our new found stability and close nit team will foster the same output

perverse

Referee
I dunno if it was him or if it may have been a product of the environment the Tigers club was in at the time. They were traveling pretty badly and was revealed later to be a pretty toxic place. Not sure anyone would have been playing their best footy there

I have to admit, his time in Brissy has been reminiscent of his Storm stint. Tough, no nonsense and aggressive. I'm hoping our new found stability and close nit team will foster the same output
Fingers crossed, I'm unconvinced. He won't make us worse, though... It's hardly the riskiest signing in the world. I suppose if he can inject some more aggression into the twins then he'll be worth it.

PhilGould

Bench
“He was exceptional in his training, he wouldn’t compromise on his training, and some of the other players didn’t like the way he trained because he trained too hard for them,’’ Potter said.

“He was going very good for the Tigers and one thing I told him was not to change his work ethic, and his attitude to training, and his attitude to playing because of the peer pressure. People talk about culture and they talk about work ethic and he was one player that you’d have in your team.

“That’s part of the reason Wayne Bennett grabbed him at his first opportunity because he knew the value he added. That’s why Tim Sheens got him (to the Tigers) and he was there when I arrived but you could see the divide there.

“There was some unjustified criticism that was thrown against his desk at Wests Tigers that was unfortunate but you’ve seen some of the stuff that’s gone on there.’’

Blair paid for some of his teammates to join him doing extra training outside the club, including Bodene Thompson, Martin Taupau and Sauaso Sue. Potter said their attitude differed from others who thought the club’s program was enough to “get them through”.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k=62da3efbf793b9d674701a1e476c3071-1503289287

Direct quotes from Mick Potter, who was Tigers coach while Blair was there, and is now our assistant coach. To me that doesn't sound like a player who mails it in or is a bad leader, it sounds like a player in a terrible environment surrounded by players who don't want to be there and don't want to work hard. If our young squad have shown nothing else in the last 2 years, they have shown that they want to be here and they want to work hard.

macavity

Referee
“He was exceptional in his training, he wouldn’t compromise on his training,

Also sounds like he and Potter have a good relationship.

The Tigers a few years ago were positively toxic - when players get coaches sacked, you know the place has gone to shit - and they did it a few times on the trot.

perverse

Referee
No, all off that sounds great and puts him in a different light for me. I still wouldn't say excited, but I will welcome him.

Spot On

Coach
Very happy with the Blair signing if Brown wants him to carry on the role he has at Brissy in our side. Would have thought it was evident in the ruck v Mlb on the w/e that we are missing that style of middle.

Excited? I wont be overly excited with any of our signings till they show they are here to play and play well for the $$$$ they will be getting.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
“He was exceptional in his training, he wouldn’t compromise on his training, and some of the other players didn’t like the way he trained because he trained too hard for them,’’ Potter said.

“He was going very good for the Tigers and one thing I told him was not to change his work ethic, and his attitude to training, and his attitude to playing because of the peer pressure. People talk about culture and they talk about work ethic and he was one player that you’d have in your team.

“That’s part of the reason Wayne Bennett grabbed him at his first opportunity because he knew the value he added. That’s why Tim Sheens got him (to the Tigers) and he was there when I arrived but you could see the divide there.

“There was some unjustified criticism that was thrown against his desk at Wests Tigers that was unfortunate but you’ve seen some of the stuff that’s gone on there.’’

Blair paid for some of his teammates to join him doing extra training outside the club, including Bodene Thompson, Martin Taupau and Sauaso Sue. Potter said their attitude differed from others who thought the club’s program was enough to “get them through”.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...k=62da3efbf793b9d674701a1e476c3071-1503289287

Direct quotes from Mick Potter, who was Tigers coach while Blair was there, and is now our assistant coach. To me that doesn't sound like a player who mails it in or is a bad leader, it sounds like a player in a terrible environment surrounded by players who don't want to be there and don't want to work hard. If our young squad have shown nothing else in the last 2 years, they have shown that they want to be here and they want to work hard.

Yeah man Wayne Bennett rates him that highly that he agreed to release him from the last year of his contract. Go ask for Milford, Boyd, McGuire, Gillette etc a year early and see what response you get.

You think he will get away with half the shit he does playing for the broncos whilst in a Knights jersey? Good luck with that.

Still Nutty

Juniors

I think there are 2 things to acknowledge here:

Firstly, this certainly doesn't paint a negative picture of the type of player I want influencing our young pack.

Secondly, if that was his attitude in such a toxic environment, I think the influence and culture Brown is trying to foster and would specifically give him a responsibility for embedding that work ethic into the young Knights is another stone in building the foundations of that long term culture we will need to be successful.

On most things happening at the moment, all I can say is....IN BROWN I TRUST!

Scar Tissue

Juniors
Agree with Vic about he won't get any latitude with refs in a Knights jersey, just hope he cuts out the cheap dog shots if he comes to us, thats for the pea hearts of this world i.e the Sims brothers & others who pick their marks (little guys) rather than front up to the big boys head on.

PhilGould

Bench
Yeah man Wayne Bennett rates him that highly that he agreed to release him from the last year of his contract. Go ask for Milford, Boyd, McGuire, Gillette etc a year early and see what response you get.

You think he will get away with half the shit he does playing for the broncos whilst in a Knights jersey? Good luck with that.
Not sure where I said Wayne is devastated to lose him or that I think he'll get away with anything, but ok.

Spot On

Coach
Bennett let Jarrod Wallace go the next season he plays Origin.

He has a factory to choose players from. Blair's done his job for him, now its time to go.

Hopefully next on our shopping list is TPJ.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
The Blair signing probably also has heaps to do with the commitment he shows at training and the way he looks at his own personal health. Blair is one of those my body is my temple type of guys, loves his fitness which is why he and his mrs own fitness businesses.

His work ethic alone with training will
Have a big impact on the younger forwards you would think.

Everything that Blair is, is exactly the blueprint that Nathan brown has been chasing with recent signings like kosty and buhrer. Guys who have come from successful systems and who are above average trainers.