What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Glendale

Juniors
I think I got more excited about this one than I should have. It was the feeling it was a bit of a perfect storm recruitment wise - the Mooney Sharks connection, Ponga already over the line, offering him his preferred position, lots of cash to make it happen, Brown at least looks like he has a plan unlike previous coaches we've had throwing money around. It felt right for once.

But nope. The nice things and the not having them and all that... what was I thinking?

Jack Bird is a great footy player. But for someone who loves to rip into our attacking structure, I'm not sure why you're so set on the idea of adding a guy who is a centre who can't kick or organise to play 5/8 for a $1million... Not gonna say it's a dodged bullet or anything, because I'd like him to come, but it's not the be all and end all. We don't actually need a playmaker that badly, we can stick with Lamb and be absolutely fine. Ts the forwards that we need much more.

Glendale

Juniors
Also, notice how Ponga had virtually no hesitation signing with us first time Brown/Mooney had a meeting? They have had a few meetings with Bird and offered him overs to play in the position he wants to (a position he isn't proven to be good at) and he still isn't sure wether he wants to come. It's dissapointing but no massive loss.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Baz writes today on the James Graham rumour. Not surprising, but a lot of it is dependant on Bulldogs & Des agreeing etc etc.

But get this! In 2012 James Graham had agreed to sign with us due to a deal brokered by Matt Gidley from his time at St Helens. Due to Tinks intervention we instead signed Kade Snowden.

What a sliding doors moment.

F*ck you! I was having a good morning. Why did you need to tell us that....

macavity

Referee
He will stay at the Sharks IMO. Not expecting any big signings. We will keep rolling cap over. All the money in the world and can't spend it on anyone.

K-Man

Bench
Jack Bird is a great footy player. But for someone who loves to rip into our attacking structure, I'm not sure why you're so set on the idea of adding a guy who is a centre who can't kick or organise to play 5/8 for a $1million... Not gonna say it's a dodged bullet or anything, because I'd like him to come, but it's not the be all and end all. We don't actually need a playmaker that badly, we can stick with Lamb and be absolutely fine. Ts the forwards that we need much more.

That's fair, I do hate it. But it's a Hodko / fullback / coaching issue as much as anything. Hodko should already be that organising half, but since he can't do it we might as well at least have quality. I'd go 6. Bird 7. Lamb and hope Brown can get them playing smart.

That said, every opinion any of us have is surely through a filter of realising most elite players are not possible for us. Bird is not my absolute number one choice, but I don't think we can do better.

Would I prefer a proven rep half with organisational skills or an absolute gun like Cleary or Taylor? Yes. But Bird is a gifted player and we need something, anything in our team that currently has nothing to scare anyone in attack.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Daily Telegraph reporting Bird will finalise a deal with Brisbane this week

It was actually a Courier Mail article from a redneck northern journo. Does this sound familiar?

I want to play under Wayne and I am prepared to take a pay cut to do so.......

Also says if it doesnt work out they will raid Ash Taylor or Elgey for 2019 and just move Bird somewhere else on the park.

macavity

Referee
It was actually a Courier Mail article from a redneck northern journo. Does this sound familiar?

I want to play under Wayne and I am prepared to take a pay cut to do so.......

Also says if it doesnt work out they will raid Ash Taylor or Elgey for 2019 and just move Bird somewhere else on the park.

Easy for some.

Noname36

First Grade
I'd completely understand and not be too disappointed if Bird chose to stay at the Sharks/in Sydney.

I'll be pissed if he signs with the Broncos though. f**k them.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I can see he and Milford not working so well and him being pushed into the fwds in 2 years. If that happens he will have no one to blame but himself.

But to give him the benefit of the doubt it is a News Ltd report and 2.days ago they had him coming to Newy.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'll be really annoyed if Bird signs with the Broncos. The info we've been getting for so long now is that he's reluctant to move away from his friends and family (which I totally understand) so given how hard it is to convince him to move a 3 hour drive from where he is now it seems ridiculous that he would entertain the idea of moving to a different state.

Obviously the Broncos are a much better team than us so I get why that would be attractive to him but then why not just stay at the Sharks?

I'm getting the feeling that we may need to put a deadline on him. I don't know when they first kicked off these conversations but it feels like he's been stuffing us around for a couple of months now. We've made a very reasonable offer to him and everyone knows that we're paying overs, even Bird knows that we're paying overs. We're set to make this guy one of the highest paid players in the history of our game and he's only played one game for NSW. I like him and he would make our side better but if he continues to muck us around I reckon we pull the pin and go after Widdop or find someone else who is serious about playing for our club.

Noname36

First Grade
The Broncos offer doesn't even make sense. Bird and Milford would not make a good halves combination at all or alternatively they'd be paying him a ridiculous amount as a centre.

Whats Doing

Bench
If Bird signs with the Drongoes (which would be a further joke of the salary cap considering all the upgrades they have done including Milford for $900k per year), go after Nikorima and his brother. Very good players with speed to burn

Yosh

Coach
I think we can put a bit of faith in our management. If Bird does go, then he goes. I think management did all they could. There's gonna be more opportunities and many halves changing in the next season or two. I believe that the strategy our management is taking is correct and if/when they drop Hokko, a lot more people will be on board. It'd be stupid to drop Hokko now as there any immediate alternatives.