What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Juniors
To think we let go of Klem to keep the Safs will never not be funny. Klem and Leo could be our props. And we’d have plenty of change left.

macavity

Referee
To think we let go of Klem to keep the Safs will never not be funny. Klem and Leo could be our props. And we’d have plenty of change left.

Klem wasn’t the answer either.

for what they are on we would be a better team if we had kept Josh King and Max King (from our area) and let the safs walk. And I say that as someone desperate for the safs to succeed.

Knight Tales

Juniors

for what they are on we would be a better team if we had kept Josh King and Max King (from our area) and let the safs walk. And I say that as someone desperate for the safs to succeed.
Not saying he was. I am saying we are here because we believed the Safs were going to be squeezed out if we did not release him. And now here we are. Making an even bigger error by paying them close to his deal x 2 on an extension. And the very real possibility Leo will get a knock on his door by say ….. Penrith. Who need a JFH replacement. Good luck with that Newcastle.

Apey

Staff member
Alex McKinnon reckons we'll have to move someone on to fit Leo in the cap.

Does this look about right?

DSaf - 800K
Brailey - 500K
JSaf - 700K
KPP - 400K
Friz - 600
Elliot -500

( Start ) Sub Total - 3.5 million

Hetherington - 500K
Leo - 350 K
Croker 200K
Crossland 250K

(Bench) Sub Total - 1.3 million

Total = 4.8 million

10 players with with 42.67% of the cap.

57.33% ( 6,450,000 ) remaining for 20 players (including 3 spine players)
I think Brailey is on 600k.

Apey

Staff member

I know it's apple and oranges comparing us to the Storm but it is seriously embarrassing watching how hard Josh King hits it up at the Storm compared to the Saifitis. He would be on less than half their salaries.

Just to see if the estimated salaries are close to reality

(Adjusted - additional 100K to Brailey additional 100K to Friz )
Pack - 10 players with 44.44% of the cap. (5.0 million)

55.56% ( 6,250,000 ) remaining for 20 players (including 3 spine players)

Ponga - 1,200,000
Marz - 300K
Best - 700K
Gags - 700K
Tuala - 300K
Gamble - 350K
Hastings - 600K

Total - 4,150,000 (7 players)

Remaining - 2,100,000

Remaining 13 players = (rounded figure) average salary = 162,000.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
I was going to start a thread about what players we think we're getting value out of and which we're not, but this one is as good as any.

I don't think Gagai is on 700k, I'd say more like 500k. Someone else can probably give a better guess but I thought he wanted to come back here so he came a bit cheaper. The rest I'd say are pretty close.

I am still a little concerned about Best's contract. We had to fight off other clubs for him. His defence has definitely improved and maybe he will look 700k again if we can ever give him decent ball but it's a lot of $$$ for a centre who can't pass a football.

I was going to start a thread about what players we think we're getting value out of and which we're not, but this one is as good as any.

I don't think Gagai is on 700k, I'd say more like 500k. Someone else can probably give a better guess but I thought he wanted to come back here so he came a bit cheaper. The rest I'd say are pretty close.

I am still a little concerned about Best's contract. We had to fight off other clubs for him. His defence has definitely improved and maybe he will look 700k again if we can ever give him decent ball but it's a lot of $$$ for a centre who can't pass a football.
I agree about Best - I think he's at a stage in his career where he will really fire in a team going well, but not yet able to lift the players around him.

mozza91

Coach
Best has a really good passing game imo. He put Marzhew away a number of times last year and did similar with Edrick Lee.

perverse

Referee
if the estimates are about right then the cap is skewed.

A heap of money spent everywhere except the most important positions - the spine.
I think that's about the sum of it yeah. Regardless of where you think the money is misspent... it's easy to identify that we're 1 or 2 class, well paid spine players short of an NRL team.

To my memory you're right, he took a haircut to come home.

Best is on a very good wicket. He's doing about the maximum he can with what he's given at the moment with one real exception to me. What Bradman struggles with is getting himself involved in a game of football. He's fantastic when the structure works and things are humming along nicely... but he has no instinct on when to go looking for the ball or how to get himself into a game where things aren't humming so smoothly. Gags, being the old head that he is, knows how to find ways to impact a game regardless of whether he's getting good ball. That's experience.

Honestly until last year, Ponga struggled with this too and still does go through periods in games where he isn't sure how to assert himself - and he's much closer to the ball than Bradman is.

It's hard to believe but Best is still only 22 and at least 2 or 3 years off his best football yet. I see enough improvement in him year on year to be comfortable with where he's at.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m not sure where the “Best doesn’t have a passing game” thing has come from. He’s actually got a good pass on him, his tip-ons are accurate and he’s able to offload to his winger one handed whilst engaged with a defender. He’s been on a big upward trajectory for 18 months now and the main issue was always his defence which he seems to have improved this year so I think $700K is about right for him given he just broke into the rep arena and looks like he is a decent chance of keeping that jersey too.

Also given we’re going after his brother, I think Leo will stay. Why leave when your twin is looking to sign with us too.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think as far as our cap is concerned, DSaf is the biggest issue. He’s on massive $$$ and is playing like a reserve grader. I think JSaf has been solid for a couple of years but sometimes gets lumped in with his brother in the waste of space category. The biggest issue is when these guys both came on the scene the game was different and the club clearly decided they were the future and hasn’t really moved on that idea. The game is different now and we can’t really have 2 big lumbering guys in our pack because teams are spotting up every week.

Hetherington has underperformed as well, the bloke looks like a real athlete, and if Gus Gould has spoken so highly of him I trust that he’s a guy that has a lot more potential than what we’re seeing.

Players not value for money - cap killers and I'd move on asap

DSaf - shop him immediately, end of season gone , call France, England wherever - pay freight if necessary, just go already.

Elliot - increasingly important position, middling player at best, waste of coin - we will win nothing with this guy, he's a scrape into the 8 maybe type player.

Hetherington - honestly I see nothing in him, not a thing. He would not make the 17 of any successful club aiming for a Premiership.

Brailey - Critical spine position - sadly he's hardly available and when he is he's just not a threat, no kicking game, no running game, can tackle and pass a ball, he's a serviceable dummy half but at 600K ? I'll pass and spend 600K on another skill set.

perverse

Referee