What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lingard

Coach
Let's not be focused on French vs Gutho.

The point here really is that if French is only talking up a small % of the cap, then why not give him more time to rectify his faults. Mend and grow his body and work on his techniques whilst in possession. This is what the Roosters did with Latrell only he had different issues. They gave him time because he was a worthy experiment.

FMD we are not talking about Bureta Faraimo here.

Fair enough. But how much time and in what position? Because (for instance) this same argument has been put forward many times about Kaysa Pritchard. I like Bevan French. I would love nothing better than to see him develop his full potential here at Parramatta. I just have some reservations on what that potential might be.

lingard

Coach
Again you are focused on French taking Gutho's spot. French needs to work on things. He might play reggies or wing in the meantime. If there is an injury then BA might need to shuffle the cards. You need depth mate and French could well be a GOAT by the time he is 30. Unless he is taking up a huge slice of the cap, then why not have him in your squad ?

The reason I'm focussed on French vs Gutho is that they have both made it known that they want to play fullback. Now, if French was happy to develop himself into a winger with a license to roam, I reckon that could work beautifully.

Stevie

Bench
Let's not be focused on French vs Gutho.

The point here really is that if French is only talking up a small % of the cap, then why not give him more time to rectify his faults. Mend and grow his body and work on his techniques whilst in possession. This is what the Roosters did with Latrell only he had different issues. They gave him time because he was a worthy experiment.

FMD we are not talking about Bureta Faraimo here.

OK I have just watched both these clips and I demand he gets put back in this week hahaha.

Jesus he has scored some great tries! The kid stays!!! lol

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Under normal circumstances (which we are finding out now) that forward pack wouldn't have gotten us anywhere near top four. Without Radradra, without a lot of luck in the draw, we wouldn't have got near it. The fact that Devil"s Advocate kept harping and whining about 29 games and top four, only served to prolong the argument (as usual). Those that continued to argue against his nonsense were then perceived as being extra negative. Happens all the time on here. People who would normally say their piece and then move on, are caught in a cycle of arguing for its own sake. But they are not deathriders in the real sense.
No one is saying that people who can’t help themselves when it comes to Pou’s posts are deathriders.

The real deathriders on here are very capable of spewing forth negativity without being supposedly baited by Pou.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Fair enough. But how much time and in what position? Because (for instance) this same argument has been put forward many times about Kaysa Pritchard. I like Bevan French. I would love nothing better than to see him develop his full potential here at Parramatta. I just have some reservations on what that potential might be.
Let’s give him a chance and if it doesn’t work in the next 12 months we arsehole him.

Given the small amount of cap space he is taking I think there are bigger priorities for our team (like letting BA know he needs some props).

Glenneel

Bench
Did you enjoy the win yesterday @Gleneel?
Yes I did and picked them to win. First time I felt confident about the team winning all year. Wasn't it good to see some offloading from the forwards and the team generally. BA must have read my latest rants about their lack of offloading plus reading my previous posts so is also looking to add bigger skilful forwards to the pack. Just call me Mr 100%. Up yours Hindy!

Glenneel

Bench
Tbh 85% of time I will show up but 15% I more then likely wont.
And if I do turn up I can not guarantee I will do the job . If it is too hard, I am likely to say I have to go get parts and than block your number and f**k off home.
And only do the job so there is an 15% chance you'll be electrocuted.

Glenneel

Bench
No one is saying that people who can’t help themselves when it comes to Pou’s posts are deathriders.

The real deathriders on here are very capable of spewing forth negativity without being supposedly baited by Pou.
Btw what has happened to Pou? Been conspicuous by his absence, has Bazal scared him off?

Happy MEel

First Grade
OK I have just watched both these clips and I demand he gets put back in this week hahaha.

Jesus he has scored some great tries! The kid stays!!! lol
The majority of those highlights were from French playing on the wing. If he bulks up and starts rucking the ball out with some intent then he would make a great winger. However, he still doesn’t displace Gutho in my opinion.

Glenneel

Bench
French may be surplus to our needs, he’s not a winger and a Guth as future skipper looks to have the fullback job sewn up.
Actually I think French has played his best on the wing and I've been disappointed by his efforts at fb. For someone who played fb in his junior days he appears to have a lot to learn in that position, or is our style of play not suitable for him?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
With French, he is obviously young and can see the point we should give him time.

However my concern is, he won't be a fullback with Gutho here (and I rate him as a fullback) and he isn't a centre. So his only real opportunity with us is winger.

And I understand young players need time to develop and during this period we can accept errors and not so perfect games.

However an important requirement for wing is the ability to ruck it out. French has played 30 or so games and probably the majority on the wing and I cant really recall a game where he has shown much that indicates he could develop the ability to ruck it out.

However he definitely can score a try and adds an X factor to our side.

Maybe with some bigger forwards, we will be able to carry a winger like French.

Additionally if he stays on the wing, we probably won't have to make a decision on him anyway as some other club will offer he fullback money to leave.

on French he looks like he is a winger and nothing more at present, not to say he can't become a fullback in the future.
In anycase his best fit for the team now is Wing.
Gutho is the best fullback we have at club and the most consistant player in the team.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The majority of those highlights were from French playing on the wing. If he bulks up and starts rucking the ball out with some intent then he would make a great winger. However, he still doesn’t displace Gutho in my opinion.

The problem is if he bulks up, he probably loses his speed which makes him dangerous.

I think someone mentioned previously the club got him to bulk up during his under 20's days and it didn't really work, so he "slimmed down".

Glenneel

Bench
It didn't exactly hit a nerve, Gaz. It's just that a bit of a culture has developed whereby any fan (and that's all we are) who vents when things are going bad, is labelled a death-rider or whinger. I hate that (even though maybe I'm not being labelled with that myself). A lot of these 'whingers', though reactionary (and who of us isn't at times), are very loyal and knowledgable fans.
To call them deathriders and whingers is indulging in a form of political correctness that I hate.
I have another interesting observation.
I put Pou Pou Escobar on 'ignore' about a month ago. Since then I have been able to think far more objectively about the situation Parra find themselves in (since the forum ceased to be fans just venting and processing, him arguing against them, and them coming up with more 'whinging' arguments to counter him). Because of that I've become far less reactionary in my thinking (and maybe less of a 'whinger'). From what I can gather, I needn't have bothered 'ignoring' him, since he seems to have taken a break from here himself. And there's the funny thing. MOST posters are now taking a more philosophical view of things lately (and I don't just mean since our first win; I mean over the past few weeks). Have you not noticed there are now fewer 'whingers'?
Pou encourages 'whingeing', sadly. He encourages people to argue that the coach is f**ked, long after they would have normally mellowed following an initial dummy spit. He did it with Kearney and he's doing it with Arthur. That's why I say there aren't many 'whingers' on this forum; because there aren't.
Imo there are very few whingers on here, after all we are all passionate supporters, and rant and rave when things are not going well. Just because you call a team poor, as I have, doesn't mean you're death riding the team, its stating your opinion. And this is a site to state your opinion isn't it? Although some on here take offense to any opinion contrary to their own and then try to bully them along with a few of their fellow hangers on.

84 Baby

Referee
Under normal circumstances (which we are finding out now) that forward pack wouldn't have gotten us anywhere near top four. Without Radradra, without a lot of luck in the draw, we wouldn't have got near it. The fact that Devil"s Advocate kept harping and whining about 29 games and top four, only served to prolong the argument (as usual). Those that continued to argue against his nonsense were then perceived as being extra negative. Happens all the time on here. People who would normally say their piece and then move on, are caught in a cycle of arguing for its own sake. But they are not deathriders in the real sense.
You've got no idea what would have happened under different (I'd hardly say normal) circumstances, but any reasonable person can look at the fact we did make top 4 last year with a largely similar pack to this year and think that a) outside circumstances can't/won't actually change that much, and b) even if they do how could we make squad changes to not be disadvantaged by the different circumstances WHILST also balancing the salary cap. They may not be deathriders in the real sense but f**k they love playing in the shallow end of what they think they are geniuses of. The ones who say their piece and move on are usually then ignored for that piece. It's the ones who harp on and on about all the perceived problems and don't come across with any productive argument other than "Tepai is shit" or "Fisher-Harris is better than Alvaro" or of course "fatter props" that I'd consider deathriders. Although in the real sense probably one is just some weird troll and the other two are senile old fools

84 Baby

Referee
Imo there are very few whingers on here, after all we are all passionate supporters, and rant and rave when things are not going well. Just because you call a team poor, as I have, doesn't mean you're death riding the team, its stating your opinion. And this is a site to state your opinion isn't it? Although some on here take offense to any opinion contrary to their own and then try to bully them along with a few of their fellow hangers on.
Some people do take offense to any contrary opinion, some try to produce counter arguments, some probably troll the contrary opinion and some, probably a f**king lot, get tired of the non-stop, negative, f**king ill-conceived, often self-indulging contrary opinions that some people try to put across with no thought to relevant counter arguments

Gronk

Staff member
Some people do take offense to any contrary opinion, some try to produce counter arguments, some probably troll the contrary opinion and some, probably a f**king lot, get tired of the non-stop, negative, f**king ill-conceived, often self-indulging contrary opinions that some people try to put across with no thought to relevant counter arguments
Shutup.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Two points: 1. It's not French's fault Parramatta don't have the right team to suit his style - but (I believe) it is the reality.
2. Maybe Gutherson is somewhat of a project player as well. Maybe has the potential to be a stand out fullback. He has said that it's his favourite position. He had a stand out game there for City against Country. Do we let his utility value hinder his progress in that area and potentially see him move to another club to play fullback? We've seen that French has some weaknesses in his game. Gutho has very few. Do we accomodate someone who could become very good, at the expense of someone who already is?
It’s simple. We do what is best for the team. Not what is best for the individual.

emjaycee

Coach
With French, he is obviously young and can see the point we should give him time.

However my concern is, he won't be a fullback with Gutho here (and I rate him as a fullback) and he isn't a centre. So his only real opportunity with us is winger.

And I understand young players need time to develop and during this period we can accept errors and not so perfect games.

However an important requirement for wing is the ability to ruck it out. French has played 30 or so games and probably the majority on the wing and I cant really recall a game where he has shown much that indicates he could develop the ability to ruck it out.

However he definitely can score a try and adds an X factor to our side.

Maybe with some bigger forwards, we will be able to carry a winger like French.

Additionally if he stays on the wing, we probably won't have to make a decision on him anyway as some other club will offer he fullback money to leave.

FYI - 33 games with 16 on the Wing and 17 at Fullback.

I think he may already be on 'young spine money' - i.e not $500k+ but not minimum either.

Latest posts