What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Appreciation thread

CGD

Juniors
Not sure if i'll get around to reading all 19 pages so far, but another big vote for running here.

Beginning of 2013 I resolved that I wanted to get fit. I'm one of the lucky who's never been overweight in my life, so my reason was pretty straight forward, I just wanted to get fit. I always hated running. HATED it. I had run for short periods in the past to get somewhat fit for some event, then simply stopped once that event passed.

When I started running April last year, I still hated it. That changed when a mate suggested we run the City2Surf for the first time. So we got run tracking apps on our phones and started comparing ourselves to eachother and that competitive drive was the key for to start looking forward to my runs.

Ended up doing City2Surf, then my first half marathon a couple months later, and another short (8km) local race. Did a couple 21km obstacle races as well, which at that length, being a strong runner is highly advantageous.

So now it's April again, a year since I started, and I now LOVE running. I used to struggle to run for 15 mins, and that seemed to take forever to get through. Now my regular run is well over an hour long and I don't think of the time at all. Running through summer has been a hard slog, and I do live in a particularly hilly area and intentionally set the steepest route I can, but it has done wonders for my fitness.

My racing calender starts this weekend with a short obstacle course, followed by half marathon in Canberra the next weekend. Will do the SMH half in Sydney in May, and other races in the following months culminating in a big obstacle race in Brisbane in September and my first marathon back in Sydney later that month.

After that? I eventually want to run marathons in New York, Boston, London, Paris... And will try some ultra marathons in NSW/ACT.

John_Deacon

Juniors
About to get back into jogging.

Best shoes are ...?

Current joggers are Asics Kayana Gels. Had to sell one of the twins to buy them 4 or so years ago.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
I run in Nike Free 4.0s, find them really light and comfy. Cheap too for runners at around the $120 mark if you don't mind last year's colours

If you used to run in the Asics though I think they are a bit of a sturdier shoe so you may prefer something else.

Last edited: