What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Appreciation thread

African Monkey

First Grade
I've done 4 marathons since November last year. 4 hrs 20 was my best time which was my 1st one funnily enough so nothing to brag about with my times lol.

I'd like to break 4 hours next year but I have a long way to go tbh but heres hoping lol.

Diesel

Referee
Has anyone strained or teared a calf muscle and know how long you couldn't run for?

I've run a little on it the last two days but I don't want to aggregate it further incase it gets worse

Danish

Referee
Thankfully I've never had a calf tear, although from what I hear they are a bitch to get back running on.

The main thing with tears is you can cause clots if you aren't careful. Is it a diagnosed tear or just a twinge that you can tell is some damage?

Diesel

Referee
Twinge, I haven't had it checked out. It's fine to run on but when I stop or start running for a minute or so it's painful and tender during the day

Danish

Referee
Sounds like a minor tear or something then. I would try to rest it for a week or so then get back into it.

A good tip when coming back from injury to running is to try and do the first couple weeks back on softer ground e.g. grass, dirt, sand. Just running on the nature strip instead of the footpath or road is usually enough.

The softer ground gives a bit less impact on your legs and can make a world of difference.

Diesel

Referee
Today I tried out the calf and I'd say its 80-90% healed. I pretty much took a week off and any pain I've had has mostly gone.
I'm avoiding too many hills until I get back into it and am running about 80% speed.
I was amazed without running for a week how quickly it all came back and I wasn't tired after the run

I tried where I could to run on grass and it was amazing how much easier it was for the muscle compared to the footpath.

Utey

Coach
How good is the couch to 5K & 10K apps. After a trip to Malaysia and another big trip up north for 5 weeks, my fitness lapsed, but with a bit of HIIT, I am getting back on track much faster than I thought I would.

Joely01

Bench
Today I tried out the calf and I'd say its 80-90% healed. I pretty much took a week off and any pain I've had has mostly gone.
I'm avoiding too many hills until I get back into it and am running about 80% speed.
I was amazed without running for a week how quickly it all came back and I wasn't tired after the run

I tried where I could to run on grass and it was amazing how much easier it was for the muscle compared to the footpath.

Run on flat grass tracks for the next couple weeks. avoid hard/ concrete areas and hills.

Do you run for comps or just fitness?

Game_Breaker

Coach
Is there a ball park figure to what constitutes a normal loss of fluid after a run?

I measured my weight before and after a 20 minute run on the treadmill and got a difference of 800 grams, sounds excessive.

Diesel

Referee
Run on flat grass tracks for the next couple weeks. avoid hard/ concrete areas and hills.

Do you run for comps or just fitness?

I run for fitness.

I ended up going to the doctors and they said it was a minor strain, if that was a minor strain is hate to know what a major strain or year is like. I was given anti-flamitories for 10 days and it worked, I was even running the day after first taking them and it seemed to fix the issue.

I've consigned myself to grass where I can now and dropped the running from 5 to 4 days, I feel so much better for it

Diesel

Referee
Is there a ball park figure to what constitutes a normal loss of fluid after a run?

I measured my weight before and after a 20 minute run on the treadmill and got a difference of 800 grams, sounds excessive.

Not sure, and I assume everyone is different but I can lose over 1 & a 1/2 kg some days.

I normally have 1-2 glasses of water before I start exercising

Game_Breaker

Coach
Not sure, and I assume everyone is different but I can lose over 1 & a 1/2 kg some days.

I normally have 1-2 glasses of water before I start exercising

Yeah, I guess it also depends on the intensity of the run, distance and weight.

It was the first time I properly weighed myself before and after, so wasn't too sure.

_snafu_

Immortal
Recently I had soreness just below the knee joint (especially the left) and had very tight hamstrings and lower back pain when not running. The pain was such that I found it very difficult to get enthusiatic about running and found myself not running as much.

I decided to get it checked out by a sports exercise guy who filmed my running technique and he determined that the most likely cause was the severe pronation I exhibited when running.

I was recommended some shoes with appropriate support and after about a week of running in my new shoes, I feel absolutely fantastic and enjoy running again.

Danish

Referee

That sounds like a fairly reasonable fluid loss in summer to me, particularly if you are going at a reasonable clip. I generally lose about 1kg per 30-40 mins of running depending on weather and effort so you sound about right to me.

If you want you can just weight yourself before and after runs then drink some water to compensate. Don't worry about drinking the exact amount that you lose though, I usually find drinking about half of what was lost to be more than sufficient. The rest you'll replace over the next few hours naturally.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Recently I had soreness just below the knee joint (especially the left) and had very tight hamstrings and lower back pain when not running. The pain was such that I found it very difficult to get enthusiatic about running and found myself not running as much.

I decided to get it checked out by a sports exercise guy who filmed my running technique and he determined that the most likely cause was the severe pronation I exhibited when running.

I was recommended some shoes with appropriate support and after about a week of running in my new shoes, I feel absolutely fantastic and enjoy running again.

Sounds awesome

Would you have gotten the same advice if you did that walk over test they do at the Athletes Foot?

That sounds like a fairly reasonable fluid loss in summer to me, particularly if you are going at a reasonable clip. I generally lose about 1kg per 30-40 mins of running depending on weather and effort so you sound about right to me.

If you want you can just weight yourself before and after runs then drink some water to compensate. Don't worry about drinking the exact amount that you lose though, I usually find drinking about half of what was lost to be more than sufficient. The rest you'll replace over the next few hours naturally.

Thanks

I find I can easily drink a 600mL bottle of water after I run in one hit

Danish

Referee
Thanks

I find I can easily drink a 600mL bottle of water after I run in one hit

Yeah I generally smash a 650ml water bottle when I get back from a run just out of habit.

Just have met a lot of people who get up in their head about fluid loss to the point that they think they need to drink as much water as they lost after every run to the point that they'll sit there and drink a couple litres of water after a long run... then spend the next couple hours having to pee every 20 minutes :lol:

The bigger thing IMO that needs replacing after runs is salt, particularly if you sweat a lot. You can get tablets for it but I find just making sure to eat something savoury after a run does the job.

_snafu_

Immortal
Sounds awesome

Would you have gotten the same advice if you did that walk over test they do at the Athletes Foot?

A good question. Rightly or wrongly, I avoided places like the Athletes Foot, Rebel and the like because I do not know if the sales people are qualified to recommend shoes. Also, I was concerned that they may try to sell the most expensive shoes that may not be suitable.

Anyway, it's great being pain free. I am also noticing that it takes much longer to fatigue during my runs.

Diesel

Referee
I went to the Athletics Foot once, I got some sound advice and they recommended Brooks running shoes, best and most expensive shoes I have ever bought.

Was the sports exercise guy like a podiatrist?