What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

brokendigit

Juniors
Packer is operating under the coach's instructions. Our fullback, wingers and centres often take the first 3 hit ups coming out of our red zone.

Agree that the team works under those instructions - but there is always a forward (De Belin, Ah Mau) to take one or two of the 5, and it is virtually never Packer.

Old Timer

Coach
James Graham will render Hunt and Widdop unless because he plays as a second 5/8.
That is exactly what has happened to several halves pairings at the Dogs and they have become sterile in attack.
Exactly the reason why Halser is going for a ball playing prop so as to invigorate their attack.

possm

Coach
James Graham will render Hunt and Widdop unless because he plays as a second 5/8.
That is exactly what has happened to several halves pairings at the Dogs and they have become sterile in attack.
Exactly the reason why Halser is going for a ball playing prop so as to invigorate their attack.
A good coach would instruct Graham to take it up and offload if the opportunity is there.

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer to depart Dragons at season's end

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

16 May 2017, 1:30 p.m.
r0_0_2990_1993_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DEPARTING: Russell Packer: Getty Images

RUSSELL Packer will always owe a debt of gratitude to St George Illawarra, but the chance to secure his family’s future by way of a lucrative four-year deal with Wests Tigers from next season, was simply too good to pass up.

The Tigers confirmed the deal on Wednesday, meaning the next chapter of one of rugby league’s best redemption stories will continue at Concord from 2018.

Having rebuilt his life and career in Wollongong, Packer said the decision to part ways with the Dragons at season’s end was a difficult one, but ultimately the right one for his family.

“Like any contract negotiation you’ve got to weigh up the pros and cons and the ability to look after my family for fours years there was a massive pro,” Packer said.

“When you make these decisions you don’t rush into the them, you take your time away and decide what’s best for your family.

“It’s going to be sad to leave the club but in the nature of this game you've got to make those decisions and it’s probably a cliche but you do have to put your family first and the ability to provide for them for four years was something that I just couldn’t pass up.”

The Tigers deal, that will take him past his 30th birthday, comes just a fortnight after making a return to the Test arena, six years after debuting for New Zealand as a 21-year-old.

It’s a long way from the dark days of a 12-month prison sentence following an assault conviction in 2013 and Packer said the red v will always hold a special place in his heart.

“It means a lot to me under the circumstances of coming to this club and having the ability to, not only rebuild my career as a rugby league player, but also my life with my family,” Packer said.

“I’ve got the utmost respect for everybody involved in this club from [CEO] Peter Doust all the way down. There’s too many people to thank.

“There’s been a lot of people here who’ve really helped, not only myself, but my family, my children, for the two and a half years we’ve been here.

“I always believed in myself and my ability as a rugby league player. Obviously I’ve been in trouble and I’ve paid the price but I just believe if you put in the hard work, you’ll end up getting the results and I’ve been able to do that at this club.

“It’s something that I’ll always treasure, the memories that I’ve had here so far and I’m hoping to add a few more good memories before I move on.”

While his future is now secure, Packer said he is determined to ensure his time at the club ends in finals action.

“It’s good to secure my family’s future but that’s in 2018,” Packer said.

“I’m currently at the Dragons this year so all my energy is here. I’m not the kind of bloke who thinks too far into the future anyway, you never know what’s around the corner. As a rugby league professional these are the things that you do.

“You have to forward-plan your career but my sole focus is on this year with the Dragons, trying to get this club back into the semi-finals where it deserves to be and doing something special in this competition.”

The news of Packer’s end-of-season departure came on the same day the Dragons confirmed in-form front-row partner Paul Vaughan has extended his stay with the club, signing an extension that will keep him in Wollongong until the end of 2021.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4665503/family-comes-first-for-packer/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer a graduate of school of hard knocks

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

17 May 2017, 10:51 a.m.
r0_0_4625_3083_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

DEPARTING: Russell Packer will leave the Dragons to link with Wests Tigers in 2018. Picture: Adam McLean

IT was a cold night in a wet Kogarah dressing shed last season when Russell Packer came and pulled up a seat next to your columnist.

It wasn’t for an interview, Kick-off just asked how he was after a tough loss – one of several the Dragons endured in 2016.

“I’ve had better days,” he said, “but I’ve had worse.”

It’s a small anecdote that says it all and illustrates why Wests Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has said Packer can turn around the culture at Concord when he arrives next season.

Cleary’s comments raised eyebrows in some quarters, but not from anyone who’s had anything to do with Packer at the Dragons.

It’s easy for players to be absorbed by the professional rugby league bubble but speak to any young player at the club and, to a man, they will cite Packer as the most influential leadership figure.

It’s why he’ll leave the club on good terms. No one knows more about the tough times Packer and his family endured than Dragons insiders.

They put the club's faith in him and have been repaid in spades. That’s why they could not begrudge him the opportunity to provide for his family with a lucrative four-year deal.

It’s business, but it’s good to know that even in the rough and tumble of modern rugby league, it can still be done with class.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4668318/kick-off-tough-times-shape-packer/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer determined to make more Red V memories
Thu 18th May, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra prop Russell Packer isn't worried about 2018 in the slightest, as he looks to depart the Dragons with a bang.

Packer signed a four-year deal with the Wests Tigers on Tuesday afternoon but shirked any talk of his move by reaffirming his commitment to the Red V until season's end.

The New Zealand international said he believes the Dragons can give the competition a shake once they put their current three-game losing run to bed.

"It's good to secure a future for my family and I, but that's in 2018. My sole focus is on this year with the Dragons," Packer said.

"We've had a couple of tough losses in the past few weeks so I'm hoping we get back on track in New Zealand.

"Under the circumstances that I came to the club, having that ability to rebuild my career as a rugby league player but also my life, I have the utmost respect for everybody involved at the Dragons," he added.

"There are too many people to thank for the almost three years I've been here."

Packer's well-documented past hasn't hindered his progress at the Dragons over the last few seasons.

Ticking boxes on and off the field – considering his return to the Kiwis side a fortnight ago and his successful tertiary studies at the University of Wollongong – Packer said there's more memories to be made before he leaves.

"I always believed in myself and my ability as a rugby league player. I paid the price for my past troubles, but I've always believed that if you put in the hard work then you'll end up getting the results," Packer said.

"I've been able to do that at the Dragons. It's a great environment and I treasure the memories I've had here so far. I'm hoping to add a few good memories before I move on."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/18/packer_determined_to.html

Bench
It's always great to see someone like Packer overcoming adversity in his life and taking a hold of his future.
We all like to see the underdog do well and I wish him all the best for the future.
That is untill we play the tigers