What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Parko1310

Juniors
They really need to make a decision on this ASAP. We all know that they'll wait until the next monthly board meeting to discuss the interviews, then it'll be at least another month after that until they actually decide at the board meeting after that. They are useless this mob. We can't recruit any real quality without knowing who the coach is, so what's doing? Who are we getting? There's already slim pickings left on the market as is. Of what's left maybe Hame Sele and Teig Wilton are okay signings, but they're not going to come if we don't have a coach sorted. Those two will be contracted somewhere very shortly. Fletcher Baker and Connor Watson are some other options that could fit in nicely. But unfortunately these guys will also be off the market shortly, and we'll be working our way even further down the list of options. It's just so grim....

TheRev

First Grade
If there are 4 candidates, do you reckon they 'interview' with Webb & co first, and the 1st choice goes through to meet the board? Or do they even meet the board, or perhaps the board gets summarised 3rd hand information from Webb.. Very curious how this would all play out, cause getting the board together is a bit of a PITA, especially if it is required multiple times..

slippery5

Juniors
They really need to make a decision on this ASAP. We all know that they'll wait until the next monthly board meeting to discuss the interviews, then it'll be at least another month after that until they actually decide at the board meeting after that. They are useless this mob. We can't recruit any real quality without knowing who the coach is, so what's doing? Who are we getting? There's already slim pickings left on the market as is. Of what's left maybe Hame Sele and Teig Wilton are okay signings, but they're not going to come if we don't have a coach sorted. Those two will be contracted somewhere very shortly. Fletcher Baker and Connor Watson are some other options that could fit in nicely. But unfortunately these guys will also be off the market shortly, and we'll be working our way even further down the list of options. It's just so grim....
When James Graham arrived he was asked who impressed him the most in pre season training, he mentioned Hame Sele as as looking the goods. So just another one that wasn't given game time in preference to the likes of Latimore etc. Not sure if McNOIDEA or Hook was in charge when we let him go ??

Inisai Toga

Juniors
When James Graham arrived he was asked who impressed him the most in pre season training, he mentioned Hame Sele as as looking the goods. So just another one that wasn't given game time in preference to the likes of Latimore etc. Not sure if McNOIDEA or Hook was in charge when we let him go ??
McGregor i thought; i thought he brought a bit to the table but never seemed to get a crack.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Sele at Souths has become pretty much what LAM was to us.

A professional bench/back up player who whilst not brilliant is very solid.

We tried to make him a starting player and that failed miserably.

Interestingly we tried to make Ford a bench player and that also failed miserably but for mine the jury is still out as to how he will go being an 80 minute starter and unlike others a few games at his new club is not nearly a big enough sample to rule it in or out.

lemnoc

Juniors
Sele at Souths has become pretty much what LAM was to us.

A professional bench/back up player who whilst not brilliant is very solid.

We tried to make him a starting player and that failed miserably.

Interestingly we tried to make Ford a bench player and that also failed miserably but for mine the jury is still out as to how he will go being an 80 minute starter and unlike others a few games at his new club is not nearly a big enough sample to rule it in or out.
I get upset that that our previous coach did not persevere with two St George local juniors in Sele and Host. They were good enough for Bennett and Demetriou is happy to give them plenty of time in his high flying Rabbitohs team. I would rather have kept them than some of the journeymen we have signed... Musgrove, Woods, Fui, etc the list goes on and on!
Sele and Host are honest, hardworking players with no off field indiscretions, but Mary saw no value in them, was it because they were St George juniors?? I would'nt put it past him.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I get upset that that our previous coach did not persevere with two St George local juniors in Sele and Host. They were good enough for Bennett and Demetriou is happy to give them plenty of time in his high flying Rabbitohs team. I would rather have kept them than some of the journeymen we have signed... Musgrove, Woods, Fui, etc the list goes on and on!
Sele and Host are honest, hardworking players with no off field indiscretions, but Mary saw no value in them, was it because they were St George juniors?? I would'nt put it past him.
What is more interesting is that Ben Hornby was coach of the St. George SG Ball team in 2013 & 3 members from that team now play for the Rabbitohs. Add the winger Thompson to the above 2 and it is clear that Hornby must have pulling power & a decent reputation.
As a former club captain and premiership winner with now a 10 year coaching apprenticeship, he is a Leader!

Maybe if he is the chosen one to be our next HC, some South’s players maybe persuaded to follow him.

Old Timer

Coach
What is more interesting is that Ben Hornby was coach of the St. George SG Ball team in 2013 & 3 members from that team now play for the Rabbitohs. Add the winger Thompson to the above 2 and it is clear that Hornby must have pulling power & a decent reputation.
As a former club captain and premiership winner with now a 10 year coaching apprenticeship, he is a Leader!

Maybe if he is the chosen one to be our next HC, some South’s players maybe persuaded to follow him.
Your post is most insightful.

Hornby typifies all things good about our club and had no sense of or perceived entitlement.

Mc Fookknuckle wrecked much more than our playing roster he also decimated the opportunity for young coaches to learn their trade at our club.

Anything good that Hornby & Young did with their juniors and up and coming grade players was ultimately and most times quickly undone by Mc Fookknuckle

SEAT 1A

Bench
Griffin proved he is not an NRL level coach simply by playing Mbye for the entire first half. Unbelievably stupid.

As soon as Liddle come on, he tightened the middle and got the boys to go forward and found heaps of space. Slone and Suli cut them to pieces and that's the third game this season we were in a winning position at different times and Easts aren't going that flash.

Again just my 2 cents worth-
Hook has to go now, not at the end of the year. I would have thought his choice of Mbye last week sealed his complete incompetence. But more to the point, do the board members even watch our games and not see what we see. Its not rocket science and as ive said before i thought we were past this after McGregors constant choice of Norman when everyone could see it wasn’t working.
Secondly- “we’ll wait till the next board meeting” . Is this so unimportant to them theyll wait that long. Surely this meeting could be moved way forward to try and resurrect our season before its too late. The lack of haste to me indicates a board totally out of touch of the team performance or what their loyal fans expect.
Each year lost makes it harder to attract sponsors , and now with the Tigers beating Penrith it makes us and the Bulldogs to be the only duds left. No wonder we dont seem to get prime time TV games anymore- were not worth it. Yet from St George- silence

Dragon David

First Grade
Again just my 2 cents worth-
Hook has to go now, not at the end of the year. I would have thought his choice of Mbye last week sealed his complete incompetence. But more to the point, do the board members even watch our games and not see what we see. Its not rocket science and as ive said before i thought we were past this after McGregors constant choice of Norman when everyone could see it wasn’t working.
Secondly- “we’ll wait till the next board meeting” . Is this so unimportant to them theyll wait that long. Surely this meeting could be moved way forward to try and resurrect our season before its too late. The lack of haste to me indicates a board totally out of touch of the team performance or what their loyal fans expect.
Each year lost makes it harder to attract sponsors , and now with the Tigers beating Penrith it makes us and the Bulldogs to be the only duds left. No wonder we dont seem to get prime time TV games anymore- were not worth it. Yet from St George- silence
Your 2 cents worth is worth more than that Dragonssupporter. You have posted what most here endorse.

I truly think that the people running this Joint Venture are like the three wise monkeys - see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil. In other words blind, deaf and dumb.

How in blazers have they been able to run the circus is beyond me. They are the ones who made those ugly choices to keep Mary on the books and extended Hook to the end of 2023 before the game kicked off last year. Their reasons were - they didn’t want Griffin heading into the 2022 season with the situation weighing over his head and Webby saying -
“The board and I feel Anthony is the right man to continue setting the required standards to return the Dragons back to where they belong.” It's like they have felt sorry for him.

Wow, wow and wow again. Look back in anger and see what you have done you useless lot of morons. No bloody wonder we haven't been successful with you lot running the show these past 11 years.

It is about time that you all faced reality Board members and do something good for a change. Act now before it is too late. Don't dilly dally about. Don't do tomorrow what you can do today.

matPORTS

Juniors
Without getting too off topic...

2016 was actually very pivotal year for us in terms of where the club was going to head in the proceeding 10 years.

We had Jason Demetriou taking our NSW Cup Team to a dominant premiership win, while Mary was struggling and refusing to wield the axe on under-performing players. To top it off - our status as the 'big brother' force in the Southern Sydney / South Coast region was being lost to the Sharks (yes - the effing Sharks of all clubs).

The above alone, not even mentioning the actual piss poor on field results of the first grade team, should have been enough to have had Mary moved on and Demetriou promoted immediately (would he have been successful who knows but it certainly could not have been any worse).

But we kept Mary with the end of 2016 review stating "we feel McGregor has a very positive future as an NRL Head Coach". Demetriou went to continue his apprenticeship under Wayne Bennett.

Fast forward to now - and nothing has really changed all that much... the coach is still indecisive, and while the NSW Cup Team may not be getting the same results, there are players in there who should be getting promoted with players like Mbye and Lomax being sent back. We have Demetriou making sure he is present at his teams NSW Cup games as well (despite being in Brisbane <12 hours earlier).

Really - I'm here letting off steam ahead of the game this afternoon, where I am just not confident at all. Top it off, we will also come up against a galvanised Tigers team next week (in Magic Round where we have a piss poor record and where I believe they have a good record).

The wooden spoon this year is a very real possibility now...