What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

matPORTS

Juniors
Agree with that line up and I would definitely be switching the centres back as well and giving them time to resettle.

The caretaker coach needs to come with something relevant behind him if he’s going to make a difference. Apparently we are not yet positioned to appoint a long term coach so I would be putting Soward in if he can be made available. He is a club premiership winner, a smart strategist and knows everything about the all important kicking game - both general play and goal kicking. The players will know him and have respect for him and granted it’s a completely different league, but didn’t he take the womens team to a gf?

Yes - I am also an advocate of having Sowie as our caretaker coach. He's a winner, a good communicator, and I feel this playing group would definitely respect him and respond to him.

Can he start tomorrow?

TheRev

First Grade
If there was an interim it would be Carr or Woolf surely.. the NRLW doesnt start till July, but I think Soward needs to focus on that.. but he actually does help with things like Lomax's goalkicking btw.. he posted during the week iirc..

tbh though Sowie has a lot of work to do to develop his coaching record.. given the womens team we have had... the results weren't wonderful.. we might see a lot about his skills this season with a much weaker squad.. see what he can do to bring them together.

be55

Juniors
Some examples of what a properly coached team can do when they are given shape and structure to attack with...

Watch the depth they set up with. The 15, 11 and 3 only job is to hold up the inside defenders enough to provide the room on the edge. They all know they aren't getting the ball and their primary job is to keep the opposition interested, for that split second, to create the space on the edge

Watch a team that actually encourages the 6 and 7 to link up. Wilton knows his job is to hold up Townsend and then Kennedy comes from outback to create the two on one. Wilton knew exactly what he had to do and that was to keep Townsend interested long enough, and he did, and Townsend couldn't make the tackle in the end. Again the depth and shape creates the space...

And then setting up with depth, like that's where they are going, they choose to hit Wilton on a lead run. Slight variations to keep the opposition guessing

I defy anybody to go back and watch the games we've played the last two and a half years and find where we have been on attack and set up with this kind of depth and shape. I'm not joking when i say that you'd probably be able to count them on one hand. It's no surprise to me that Fitzgibbon, who spent so many years under Robinson, is bringing this to the Sharks. I guarantee if we had managed to sign him as coach we wouldn't be producing the garbage in attack that we are at the moment.

And sure people will say we don't have the speed. But it's not just the speed it's the shape the pulls apart the defence.

There's a reason our edge's get the ball with the defence on top of them and no room to move. Our attack is flat, uninspired and directionless. Even when the opportunity arises we don't set up to strip an opposition edge. We are coached to play "Ben ball". Just get the ball to him, wherever he goes, and cross your fingers.

It's not good enough and the time for Hook to go has long come and gone...

Mojo

Bench
Jesus. How is it still going on? Should have been done in the off season, but I imagine Hunt resigning was dependent on Griffin sticking around a bit longer to “prove” he can coach. That time is long gone now, let’s just bite the bullet and put one of the assistants in for the rest of the year. It honestly can’t be any worse and most likely will see improvements start immediately.
IMO, this is THE issue at the heart of all of our problems, Hook and Hunt have a co-dependent relationship that goes back to their RL formative years, and I think it's glaringly obvious that the rest of the squad are thoroughly aware of it and they fkn hate it!

This great club hitched it's wagon to Hunt years ago. He's a great individual player but in every other respect it's been an abomination. I think it's screamingly obvious what has been going on. I also think it's so obvious it can be turned-around very easily.

I reckon, right now, sack Hook, appoint Woolf as interim head coach (every coach is a punt - stop fkng around - and also use the talent you already have and put the contenders on notice that we're not beggars in the marketplace), take the captaincy off Hunt - give it to blocker or, believe it or not, Lomax (it's got to be a Saints man - not a Qlder!) - select Sullivan at half - every week. That's a start!

PS: Personally, I've always reckoned Lomax is a fullback - he likes some mongrel in defence and he can catch the ball! I'd run Sloan at centre.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Sadly nothings going to change in the immediate future .....Griffin will remain till season end and Hunt will end up at The Dolphins...another futile year drifts bye, 90% of our players have learnt bugger all and gone backwards and our supporter base has endured yet another season of pain, frustration and misery.....end of story

Last edited:

Wolfgang90

Juniors
IMO, this is THE issue at the heart of all of our problems, Hook and Hunt have a co-dependent relationship that goes back to their RL formative years, and I think it's glaringly obvious that the rest of the squad are thoroughly aware of it and they fkn hate it!

This great club hitched it's wagon to Hunt years ago. He's a great individual player but in every other respect it's been an abomination. I think it's screamingly obvious what has been going on. I also think it's so obvious it can be turned-around very easily.

I reckon, right now, sack Hook, appoint Woolf as interim head coach, take the captaincy off Hunt - give it to blocker or, believe it or not, Lomax (it's got to be a Saints man - not a Qlder!) - select Sullivan at half - every week. That's a start.

PS: Personally, I reckon Lomax is a fullback. I'd run Sloan somewhere in the backline.

I don't know if Lomax has the speed (based on this season) we need at FB, could he be a dylan edwards/cnk workhorse type who is safe under the high ball & defensively sound? Yes, tbh that's probably what we need more than what Sloan brings. Think Sloan will eventually move into 5/8th. He has the size (just needs to fill out), speed & passing game. I don't know if he'll improve his catching enough to be a quality fb or improve his defensive judgments at fb. I'm not sold on Amone being 1st grade quality half either, I have a dufty/jai field feeling about him.

Basically out of Amone/Sloan/Sullivan, I think we'll only keep 2. I hope it's Sullivan & Sloan as their skillsets are more valuable imo.

possm

Coach
Yes - I am also an advocate of having Sowie as our caretaker coach. He's a winner, a good communicator, and I feel this playing group would definitely respect him and respond to him.

Can he start tomorrow?
I'd like to know why so many on here would settle for a rookie or untried coach. For me, Hasler is the only available coach that could turn this basketcase of a club around.

since77

Juniors
Not winning the wooden spoon during Hook's tenure has been the real over-achievement
Many including myself sadly predicted that this might actually be the year this happens and it’s now a real possibility. It was obvious to anyone who has watched this stubborn out of touch buffoon “coach” us for the previous 2 seasons.
I laughed when I read Hunt’s comment a while ago that sacking Hook would send us backwards by a few years. Well Benny, if this is going forwards I’d frigging hate to see what going backwards looks like….

Dragon David

First Grade
" Anthony Griffin needs to consider moving Ben Hunt to hooker to ignite the team and bring in Jayden Sullivan at halfback, but history shows that he has been reluctant to make that move. Moses Mbye and Jacob Liddle just don’t offer enough threat out of dummyhalf, but Griffin has been stoic in his commitment to Hunt playing in the No.7 jersey."

The above is from the latest Foxsports News. We know that this will never happen in Hooks final tenure at this club.

Illusion

Bench
Many including myself sadly predicted that this might actually be the year this happens and it’s now a real possibility. It was obvious to anyone who has watched this stubborn out of touch buffoon “coach” us for the previous 2 seasons.
I laughed when I read Hunt’s comment a while ago that sacking Hook would send us backwards by a few years. Well Benny, if this is going forwards I’d frigging hate to see what going backwards looks like….
Benny's lost the plot along with his side kick and I for one have no problem at all if he wants to leave with Hook ......

Illusion

Bench
" Anthony Griffin needs to consider moving Ben Hunt to hooker to ignite the team and bring in Jayden Sullivan at halfback, but history shows that he has been reluctant to make that move. Moses Mbye and Jacob Liddle just don’t offer enough threat out of dummyhalf, but Griffin has been stoic in his commitment to Hunt playing in the No.7 jersey."

The above is from the latest Foxsports News. We know that this will never happen in Hooks final tenure at this club.
This should of happened a couple of years ago , and then maybe we would have a real 7 that can win and close out a tight game .......

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
I don't know if Lomax has the speed (based on this season) we need at FB, could he be a dylan edwards/cnk workhorse type who is safe under the high ball & defensively sound? Yes, tbh that's probably what we need more than what Sloan brings. Think Sloan will eventually move into 5/8th. He has the size (just needs to fill out), speed & passing game. I don't know if he'll improve his catching enough to be a quality fb or improve his defensive judgments at fb. I'm not sold on Amone being 1st grade quality half either, I have a dufty/jai field feeling about him.

Basically out of Amone/Sloan/Sullivan, I think we'll only keep 2. I hope it's Sullivan & Sloan as their skillsets are more valuable imo.
hope it's Sullivan & Sloan as their skillsets are more valuable imo. x2

Mojo

Bench

Agree. I've never rated Amone (I think he's way too slow for 5/8) - except I'd love to see his combo with Sullivan at 7 at 1st grade level - if it works, great; if not, I'd drop Amone. I think Hunt is a 5/8 (I actually don't think he's a great hooker - he's a very good freelancer when he's in a great (e.g.; rep level) footy side). I also agree that what Lomax lacks for FB is speed - but he's a big body, he's a different player when he has an opportunity to hit a gap - he's not evasive enough to break the line; he needs to be put through it or run into a gap. Liddle and Hunt sharing 9 would be fairly deadly too IMO.

Latest posts