What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Illusion

Bench
It's a fail, fail, fail from me. Whatever way you look at things, we really are a deadset woeful team. Yes we try but the total effort isn't there. We should be known as the St George Illawarra Mistakers. Just so bad. At the current rate we look at ending up in either 12th or 13th spot this year. People will say that's alright because the judges said that we would get the spoon but 12th/13th is pathetic.
David did you hear his presser ..... Exactly what I thought he would say ..... He has lost it , soon as you start blaming bad calls he has nothing , they happen all the time but the team is that bad that they cant over come anything that does not go their way .....

jeffdragon

Bench
It's a fail, fail, fail from me. Whatever way you look at things, we really are a deadset woeful team. Yes we try but the total effort isn't there. We should be known as the St George Illawarra Mistakers. Just so bad. At the current rate we look at ending up in either 12th or 13th spot this year. People will say that's alright because the judges said that we would get the spoon but 12th/13th is pathetic.
Yes Agree. .
So I'm not happy where we're were to finishing that low.
No way.
With a new coach brings new beginning a fresh outlook, a plan b, some shoots of improvement.
The grass being greener.
All we are seeing is more weeds.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I am still clinging on by my fingernails to the Hook bus, but it is more through hope for next year then confidence in what I have seen this year. I still remember fondly the round 5 game against the Eels, where the Dragons actually played like a very good team for 80 minutes. What the hell has happened since then? Our defence is poor, our attack is slow and predictable, and Hook's persistence with the myth that is Corey Norman is beyond belief. (I heard a rumour that Corey was nominated by the Penrith players as their "best and fairest player" as he was the player most responsible for securing a Penrith win!)
There is a substantial shake up in the roster for 2022 so maybe ......
Please Hook, give the fans something to cheer for in the next 3 weeks. Nobody expects 3 wins. Just give the club's potential future stars a run to see what they can do instead of persisting with the tired old hasbeens that offer nothing.

Dragon David

First Grade
I am still clinging on by my fingernails to the Hook bus, but it is more through hope for next year then confidence in what I have seen this year. I still remember fondly the round 5 game against the Eels, where the Dragons actually played like a very good team for 80 minutes. What the hell has happened since then? Our defence is poor, our attack is slow and predictable, and Hook's persistence with the myth that is Corey Norman is beyond belief. (I heard a rumour that Corey was nominated by the Penrith players as their "best and fairest player" as he was the player most responsible for securing a Penrith win!)
There is a substantial shake up in the roster for 2022 so maybe ......
Please Hook, give the fans something to cheer for in the next 3 weeks. Nobody expects 3 wins. Just give the club's potential future stars a run to see what they can do instead of persisting with the tired old hasbeens that offer nothing.
Hook knows what these youngsters can do. He wants to make sure that they are developing at the right pace over time. He will let them out with all shackles released next year and we will see them go. Still need one more speedy finisher or interceptor who can run all the way down to the try line like Brett Morris and like Dufty (but with better defence). Our forward stocks are being replenished and hopefully they will be good signings. Another tough hombre would not go astray. Mbye to be a utility but I think he will be used in a position initially for a few games to see how things pan out. We will be much better next year.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Griffin’s team selections this week will be telling. If he persists with Norman & Beale in the starting side then I think we can safely say he’s lost it.

Bird is one of the few players who has a genuine crack every week so of course he’s making a go of fullback. But the persistence of playing Beale at Centre is costing 6-12 points a game plus there’s no threat on the left side edge.

I simply don’t understand Griffin’s sick loyalty to Norman.

I think the answer to your question is neither Beale or Bird is the answer at left centre.

Ramsey is often physically dominated.

Max Fegai has had virtually zero game time and is not in the bubble.

Fuimono and Ford are playing poorly as edge forwards.

In essence, Hook simply doesn’t have a better solution in the squad.

Bird is at fullback because he is very strong and unlikely to be rag dolled. But he is slow, and an easy target for a gang tackle.

Sloan or Dufty should play full back this week.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the answer to your question is neither Beale or Bird is the answer at left centre.

Bird is at fullback because he is very strong and unlikely to be rag dolled. But he is slow, and an easy target for a gang tackle.

I'm thinking Dufty for sure against the Roosters.

Dragon David

First Grade
Curious mate,

Why do you think he will choose Dufty now ?
I think that we lacked someone to provide the attack in the Penrith game. For instance when Rava took the ball off Lomax, I think it was, and he ran to almost scoring but got caught by Naden, if Dufty played, I feel he would have backed up to score and I think there were other times as well. Our attack needs Dufty and even though he is out of favour, we need to be able to score points.

But I might be wrong as Hook will probably leave everything as is - only have Macca replaced.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I just spent a locked down Saturday afternoon rewatching the round 5 game versus the Eels. It was an interesting exercise with the hindsight of the last 20 rounds.

Lomax was massive in defence and Dufty made the team look 100% better in attack. The linespeed was slightly faster but there was a real intent at the point of contact that made all the difference. AM's dummy half service was a lot faster but he was already cooked by the second forty. Norman was doing his best to manage the Eels back into the game and when the team came out in the second half they were ill-disciplined and off the pace.

Fast forward back to the present and Dufty has been banished, AM was showing the fatigue of a full season and impact and intent in defence has vanished.

What hasn't changed though is Norman is still being Norman (with the coach's full support) and deflating halftime speeches have seemingly become Hook's trademark.

The point being, many of the issues so frustrating now were actually present early in the season - just that there were enough positives to paper over the cracks. Now that these positives have been lost (defence) or removed (Dufty), it's difficult to see what Hook has managed to improve over the course of the season.

I never believed he'd solve everything in a year but thus far I'm not convinced he's solved anything much in that year either. With this trajectory, I don't see a lot of upside for 2022.

Illusion

Bench
Curious mate,

Why do you think he will choose Dufty now ?
I would have had Duff playing all games , even with his mistakes ..... It hasn't made any difference without him they still get belted ..... So with Duff at least he can put the opposition in two minds when he is attacking and can score a long range try that no player in the team can do now ..... Still cant get my head around it , you have one of the best attacking and try assist players in the Comp and they don't know how to use him even if its coming off the bench ...... The game is getting quicker with all the changes , surely a good coach would know how to utilize his speed and bring him into the game at the right times ...... Hooks lost me on this .....

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I would have had Duff playing all games , even with his mistakes ..... It hasn't made any difference without him they still get belted ..... So with Duff at least he can put the opposition in two minds when he is attacking and can score a long range try that no player in the team can do now ..... Still cant get my head around it , you have one of the best attacking and try assist players in the Comp and they don't know how to use him even if its coming off the bench ...... The game is getting quicker with all the changes , surely a good coach would know how to utilize his speed and bring him into the game at the right times ...... Hooks lost me on this .....
Sure. If they have decided to not play Dufty, then stop farting around with stopgap measures (Corey Norman for god's sake) and play our future fullback there. Sloan has looked the goods every time he has played. But, if Hook is not playing Sloan, then Dufty is the best fullback option

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Blaming the referee is a sure sign of a desperate coach with no answers. Griffin only has himself to blame for the fiasco 2021 has become.

The Dragons need to be looking beyond Griffin he’s a fraud.

His sycophant with Corey Norman is indefensible, he’s consistently one the worst players every week. Corey is a rare player, he has far more try assists for the opposition than he does for the Dragons. He gave Penrith 2 last night.

We should have kept McGregor & made a big play for Fitzgibbon in 2022.

I have zero faith in Griffin, I think we’re in for a tough 2022. It’s a joke.

Dragon David

First Grade
Maybe Hook doesn't like speed as his eyes see things better when in slow motion?

BLM01

First Grade
I think that we lacked someone to provide the attack in the Penrith game. For instance when Rava took the ball off Lomax, I think it was, and he ran to almost scoring but got caught by Naden, if Dufty played, I feel he would have backed up to score and I think there were other times as well. Our attack needs Dufty and even though he is out of favour, we need to be able to score points.

But I might be wrong as Hook will probably leave everything as is - only have Macca replaced.
The only reason Rava got caught as he was caught off balance when he broke the tackle and Naden was chasing at full tilt. Rava does take time to wind back up his top gear anyway

Norman, Beale & Clune have to go. Start Amone & Sullivan in the halves play Sloan at fullback & replace Beale with Bird at centre. But I’m sure Griffin won’t do any of this. I’m completely done with Griffin he’s a fraud & he’s been exposed as a fraud.
Cause he wont as he does not want to look foolish for bringing Bird back and letting McInness go for the other Mac hooker. Plus continuing to play Hunt out of his best position.

Como Connection

First Grade

Way wrong about Fui, strong game again.
CC