What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Look I’m sure Griffin will see out his 2 year contract and deserves a clean slate in 2022. I’m not so sure about his assistants in Gentle & Elliot, they haven’t seem to added much in the skills development.
If I was the CEO of the Dragons, I’d be making a quiet & discreet play for Cameron Ciraldo to take over as head coach come 2023. He seems the next quality coach in waiting.
I don't think this club can survive another Training Wheels coach.
We should have gone for Shaun Wane in the first place. He was reportedly interested in the gig, too.
Season 2021 could have been a tale of blood, guts and glory - instead we've endured crap selections and a dispirited squad led by a coach with all the personal magnetism of a squashed satsuma.
And BBQ-gate. This is the way season ends - not with a bang, but with a banger,

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I don't think this club can survive another Training Wheels coach.
We should have gone for Shaun Wane in the first place. He was reportedly interested in the gig, too.
Season 2021 could have been a tale of blood, guts and glory - instead we've endured crap selections and a dispirited squad led by a coach with all the personal magnetism of a squashed satsuma.
And BBQ-gate. This is the way season ends - not with a bang, but with a banger,
In what world does a guy who has coached in 7 nrl seasons prior and missed finals once (soon to be twice) get labelled a training wheels coach, yet a bloke who has never even coached a game in the NRL is somehow capable and qualified?

Ordinary season or not, Griffin's record says he can and will turn the ship around, Wane is a completely unknown quantity in the NRL.

In what world does a guy who has coached in 7 nrl seasons prior and missed finals once (soon to be twice) get labelled a training wheels coach, yet a bloke who has never even coached a game in the NRL is somehow capable and qualified?

Ordinary season or not, Griffin's record says he can and will turn the ship around, Wane is a completely unknown quantity in the NRL.
The "training wheels"comment was a reference to Ciraldo. NRL or not, Wane has the points on the board and a personal style that would probably get into players heads.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Absolutely right- Hook is a 60% career winning coach-few and far between-If we get Suli and big George B can get back to his rampaging best, then, on top of our local talent, we'll have some strike power-then we just need to get the vaccination levels up, Covid managed just like the annual flu, players back into their own beds, training at familiar facilities and playing in front of their own fans- then we can judge Hook.

Ted bartolo

Juniors
My opinion is this:
Mary wasn’t a top coach. McGrexit had to happen eventually. I get that. It happened at the wrong time. It should have happened at the end of 2021.
2021 is already a failure.
I originally had faith in Griffin and supported him. Until he made some shocking recruitment decisions.
Grififn has no idea with recruitment. He lost the best player in McInnes. He is going to lose Dufty too. He signed an old dud in McCulloguh. He signed some other nobodies like Alvaro.
He’s recruitment is shit and he has placed faith in the dud Norman over young guns like Sullivan and Clune. Griffin will probably re-sing Norman and let go of Sullivan.
My point is. 2021 is shit. Griffin somehow made it shitter.
Should have kept Mary for 2021 and then got a real coach for 2022 like Flanagan or Wayne or even Bellamy. Grififn isn’t fit to make this club great again.
Just heard Bellamy talk about the how smarter players are suited to the new rules.We have a lot good players but not many smart players.IGriffen coaching job relies on him turning our dumb players into smart players.Not many smart players So far no one improving.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes but he also alluded to how he’s never seen the rules change so quickly, missing the important discussion period in the offseason. There was major rules changes around the magic round this year and players had to adapt so quickly. Really brings into question the right style of player in these new rules; some made mid season….different assessment perhaps than what may have been in February.?

mickeylane

Bench
I think Hook will pull out all stops to succeed next year meaning that he won't tolerate any toilers and will chop and change until he settles into the best lineup..but I think his biggest problem is going to be his support staff, they're are just not up to it (Gentle and Elliott coaches)...you can see the structures are just not in place for either discipline...you can't blame the players...there is no set attacking pieces from basic set scrums (see Penrth, Souths, Roosters, Storm) all have numerous set plays..our defense is also a shambles...I feel Hook will be undermined by these 2 blokes...nowadays signing top-notch attacking and defensive coaches is just as important and as signing the head honcho ..even the fitness coach is getting to be as important...Dragons way behind in all aspects here

BLM01

First Grade
The "training wheels"comment was a reference to Ciraldo. NRL or not, Wane has the points on the board and a personal style that would probably get into players heads.
Why are clubs not or have not entertained Wane as their next coach if he is that good?
Points on the board. Where at SL?
How many SL coaches from their system in England have made a success of it out here in recent memory. Cant think of any!

At what stage will we dragons fans pull out our favourite chant again ….

someone-else-the-simpsons.gif

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
I have pointed to Hook's apparent flaws but I don't feel it makes him a poor coach. This gig was always going to require someone big and brazen to come in and use his influence and connections to upset the trajectory we've been on since a huge sigh of relief in 2010. To make big calls, uncomfortable calls even, put a line in the sand in terms of what will be accepted. That has not happened.

Hook carries himself well but just needs to be bolder. If some of the bigger signings come to fruition I'm keen to see what he can achieve. His vision for this club is not a clear one. It's relatively early days but I think it will get away from him soon if he doesn't make some moves.

Can't place my finger on it but the problem of this club is even bigger than the coach. The standards are low higher up in the hierarchy.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Before the year started, I realistically expected our team would be “bottom 4”
IMO we had a very poor forward pack that had lost Frizell plus JDB still being stood down. We had poor recruitment and a lack of quality back up.
Add to this the season ending injury to Cam McInnes and having to carry the human anchor (Norman) and we were always in for a tough struggle in 2021.
So Hook, definitely deserves a full year ahead in 2022 to show what he’s got…..with the addition of some grunt up front and fine tuning. I do believe he needs some youthful assistant coaching around him to move ahead in the modern game.

Trifili13

Juniors
I think the Dragon's have a similar issue to that of the Tigers (coincidentally the only merged teams) in that good players don't want to come even after offering overs. You always hear that Madge is a hard taskmaster and players don't like that. Yet all are happy to play for Bellamy who most would say is even harder on the players in getting them to a level to perform week in week out.

Oh Griffin.. finally some proactivity on the hooker front with a short term loan deal of the Rooster's Freddy Lussick. Is Nick feeling sorry for us after our sorry season. Not sure tho what the point is with our season almost done and dusted. He needed to do this when McCulloch went down. Dont know much about Lussick. Is only 20 with a mere 9 top grade games under his belt.. Still he he shows us something may be worth having a crack at poaching him from the Chooks.

So Hook, definitely deserves a full year ahead in 2022 to show what he’s got…..with the addition of some grunt up front and fine tuning. I do believe he needs some youthful assistant coaching around him to move ahead in the modern game.
Yeh. But the knives will be out if we are in a similar position come this time next year. He does need tho to jettison our inept defensive coach.. aptly named Gentle, as that is how he is coaching our boys to tackle.

Last edited:
"Cameron Ciraldo a ‘massive asset’ to Penrith’s premiership quest, says Nathan Cleary."

Doubt the Panther's board are looking to offload Ciraldo to any other club. He has already knocked back a Shark's offer evidently.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Oh Griffin.. finally some proactivity on the hooker front with a short term loan deal of the Rooster's Freddy Lussick. Is Nick feeling sorry for us after our sorry season. Not sure tho what the point is with our season almost done and dusted. He needed to do this when McCulloch went down. Dont know much about Lussick. Is only 20 with a mere 9 top grade games under his belt.. Still he he shows us something may be worth having a crack at poaching him from the Chooks.
Mccullough was injured just over a week ago buddy, common sense would say a loan agreement doesn't get drawn up overnight so to secure someone in just over a week is a great outcome IMO.

Figured the injury was longer. Waste of money for only a couple of piddling games that have no bearing on anything. Different if it was 10.
There has been a hooker, a Mackenzie Roche in both the St George 20/21 Ball sides. Anyone seen him play?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Figured the injury was longer. Waste of money for only a couple of piddling games that have no bearing on anything. Different if it was 10.
There has been a hooker, a Mackenzie Roche in both the St George 20/21 Ball sides. Anyone seen him play?

Ah! yes, you're referring to young Muhleisen obviously.

Shame he hasn't played for near on 2 months, and hasn't been able to train either. He's not in the QLD bubble, so even if he were to be suddenly rushed to QLD he'd first have to do 14 fsy quarantine, so waste of time don't you agree.
Getting the Roosters hooker for a few games relieves the pressure on Maguire as the sole "hooking' option. Bud wad never meant to play hooker last week but showed his class. Why risk more injury?

Latest posts