What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
Then you will only be happy if we win the comp. If we make the GF and lose in golden point, you will say 'I told you so'. I like being happy at us winning, why complain? That's not the kind of life I want to live. I like being happy. You think that Mary should not be coach because there are better ones out there, but this bloke who can't coach has us 3rd with the best attack. So what do you want? We had Bennett in 2009 and didn't make the Grand Final. Lets see how we go for the rest of the season. We may even go alright.
Funny how some people interpret things.
You see any criticism as people being unhappy which is ludicrous.
Am I unhappy in comparison to last year NO I'm not.
Have I given credit for the better style and methodology employed by the team YES I have.
Do I think it could be better YES I do.
Is Mary doing better YES should it absolve him from criticism NO.
In respect of waiting for the rest of the season that is exactly what I said but the lack of trumpeting from some corners at the half way point of the season induces other people to say we are negative because we are not yet on the Mary bus.
Re your quote
"I like being happy at us winning, why complain"?
If you don't address the obvious poor issues whilst you are winning, then in your world no one has the right to complain when it bites you on the arse when you lose.
If people choose to turn a blind eye then IMO you have lost your right to any criticism and you should sit back and just accept whatever comes your way win, lose or draw.

For me the argument isn't that Bellamy would have us sitting better than 3rd place right now, It's that he'd have us going as good or better right now, next year and the year after that. I was having a conversation with my father-in-law (who is a Storm supporter) this afternoon that went something like this:

FIL: Geez you must be happy with how Dragons are going at the moment?

Me: Yeah we're sitting 3rd at the moment, huge turnaround from last year.

FIL: My boys (Storm) are going good as well, sitting top of the ladder!

Me: Yeah but your team is always going well, to finish 5th would be considered a bad season.

I'm happy with how we're travelling at the moment but still have the painfully inept style of football we've played the previous 2 years burned into my memory, plus the bullshit excuses McGregor tossed up week after week until it literally became comical.

Despite the better performances this year to date, I have no faith in Mary's ability to win a premiership. None. And no one else should. Yet the clowns in charge are seeking to extend his contact by 3 whole years.

Straight Shooter

MilanDragon

Juniors
Mate, it's a little frustrating when certain fans hail the successes of Mary and the board. We are so far beyond the leading clubs in terms of professionalism and a consistent winning culture that's is not funny.

Our club is not improving but continuing to go backwards, despite bright patches here and there. It shouldn't be like this. The self interest which inflicts this club is horrendous.

Straight Shooter

See! There is a post that has sense to it, understanding and logic, instead of just bashing the club or a poster blindly for a different view.

I think there is a middle-ground between where you sit and those 'hailing' Mary/Board etc. I also think you can't blame Mary for the boards mess and they need to be looked at separately, even though they impact each other.

1) the board/operations is a mess and I can't fathom how they've gotten away for so long running a business at a loss to the tune of Joe many millions' debt we now have. Absolutely horrendous business management which I don't agree with, should Doust and co be held accountable? Absolutely yes!

2) the part I believe agitates people is Mary. Are there better coaches in the NRL or ESL? Yes. But has our improved? IMO I believe he has as seen by this years results. That doesn't mean I believe Mary is a great coach it just means I believe he's learning and I hope he continues to do so while delivering results.

We aren't yet a club that others are envious of, we don't have a dynasty. But I don't believe we can wake up tomorrow and all is great, it will take time and be a gradual process with both on-field and off-field results. Fans are getting excited because they can see a change in on-field results (which is key).. but you have a belief that because everything else is so bad we can't get excited about that either.

Gareth67

First Grade
Excellent post , Milan Dragon , you have ticked all the boxes .

The way that I see it is that the Dragons have improved their performances this year . However being in 3rd place , does not mean that we are playing better footy then those teams that are further down the ladder , there is more too it then that . Injuries to other teams , our first decent draw in many years and perhaps a bit of luck going our way .

Mary , the man has improved in both his coaching and also his relationship with the players themselves . However , his selections at critical times in matches , leave a lot to be desired . At this stage he still has a long way to go , perhaps if he can take the team deep into the semi's , I would gladly give him a ' pass-mark ' .

The Joint Venture Board and management , is an absolute joke . Totally agree with those views of others , that these blokes should be hanging their heads in shame for dragging our club to its knees , utter bluudy disgrace .

All in all , very pleased with the efforts of the players this season , Mary is getting there , but unfortunately the Dragons simply cannot afford to ' hope ' that he will blossom into a first-class coach .

Last edited:

Bench
The team has been winning this year but there is still room for improvement, especially in the bench rotation. He needs to use those bench players in such away that they get some reasonable amount of game time. Ten minutes here and their is not a way of exposing the bench players to the rigour of first grade.
Dugan goes at the end of the season and their has been no hint of who will take over that role.
Mary has to make a decision whether it is Field of Dufty and give them time off the bench. Dugan does not deserve to be dropped but moving forward Mary has to make a decision.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Excellent post , you have taken ticked all the boxes .

The way that I see it is that the Dragons have improved their performances this year . However being in 3rd place , does not mean that we are playing better footy then those teams that are further down the ladder , there is more too it then that . Injuries to other teams , our first decent draw in many years and perhaps a bit of luck going our way .

Mary , the man has improved in both his coaching and also his relationship with the players themselves . However , his selections at critical times in matches , leave a lot to be desired . At this stage he still has a long way to go , perhaps if he can take the team deep into the semi's , I would gladly give him a ' pass-mark ' .

The Joint Venture Board and management , is an absolute joke . Totally agree with those views of others , that these blokes should be hanging their heads in shame for dragging our club to its knees , utter bluudy disgrace .

All in all , very pleased with the efforts of the players this season , Mary is getting there , but unfortunately the Dragons simply cannot afford to ' hope ' that he will blossom into a first-class coach .

I'm very pleased that l have managed to impress you ............. without making a post.
Thank you Sir.

I think the club is pointing in the right direction, finally, but time will tell as to the whether we a become stagnant or we continue to shape in the direction we are all hoping.

It is all a matter of perfecting the blend of old and new, coach and player, coach and board.
We fans get to pick up the pieces from whatever happens up above.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm very pleased that l have managed to impress you ............. without making a post.
Thank you Sir.

I think the club is pointing in the right direction, finally, but time will tell as to the whether we a become stagnant or we continue to shape in the direction we are all hoping.

It is all a matter of perfecting the blend of old and new, coach and player, coach and board.
We fans get to pick up the pieces from whatever happens up above.

Just don't go jumping into my coffin ! At least , not for a while yet .
By the way , classic post , on the Klemmer thread :innocent:

Last edited:

Bench
A coach like Bellamy and such would know that the Grubs were going to come out firing and developed a game plan accordingly.
Mary should not have been given that extension till the end of the season.
His appointment and the situation with Millward is not going to go away.
When Hunt gets here how will Mary handle that.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
A game I was watching with interest as the pressure has now been lifted on mcidiots coaching career:

I was always against the very astute and smart move by club management renewing mcidiot mid season. Clearly all other 15 clubs were circiling to sign this juggernaut of a coach.

Pressure is off him and the players now and if we start to find old habits he can say "we had a good start to the season and then we got tired".

Sadly, we often looked like 2016 again. We let the opposition dictate the game day style and we were limp and tryless yesterday when we had a chance to prove to our critics we are the real deal but hey "we haven't seen the best of this team yet". Also Mcidiot has the A back where he wants it. Juniors also once again ignored.

Club management have us completely back on track to self collapse.

What a disgusting club whose values are "All for the boys and one for themselves".

monsterkev

Juniors
What happened to waiting till late in the season to review mcgregors contract
Rushed in to early again
If we fail to make the top eight were stuck with him cause we won't be able to afford to pay him out

St Georgio

Juniors
Peter Doust should resign incompetent f**k, they need to appoint a proper CEO that has some coach ability to help coach our super coach, when it comes to preparing for big games and teams that desperate like the dogs yesterday

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The only criticism I have of Mary's selections for this year is the No.7. I just don't get it. I would love to see Mann and Widdop given just 1 game to prove they can be a much better option. Against the competition leaders Mann had a blinder and set up 2 or 3 tries. We may have been behind by a fair margin and the Storm clocked off but Mann was able to find holes and execute some tries unlike McCrone.I think Widdop is having a say in this to be honest and Mary should just bite the bullet and give it 1 go. Only thing is if Widdop does not buy into it then he can make Mann look ordinary.

Against the Sharks (game 2) McCrone literally won the game for the Sharks with his pathetic kicking game. If Man can get hooked during a time when the team is leading 2-0 for his defence and McCrone doesn't to a loss against a team the Dragons totally dominated against I don't get the logic.

All other selections are fine. In terms of Juniors, Sele is getting a run, Aitken got blooded last year, Host/Leulia played some footy last year as well. Field has been given a run? What is this fuss about not giving juniors a run? I think he is doing OK in this department.

The tries dogs scored were lucky bounces etc. Saints should have closed them down I know but it it was nit by a lucky bounce it could have gone the Dragons way. If Saints are awarded the try they score under the sticks off the scrum it is a different ball game. That decision really killed the Saints. They hardly saw much ball after that set.

Latest posts