What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

To quote one of the greatest football movies ever, 'Attitude reflects leadership'.

The lack of desire comes from Mary, who sets targets like 'win 50% of games' and 'finish with 30 points to make the 8'...he will also find any reason under the sun to avoid accountability, and this trickles to the players.

A good coaches needs to be a good man manager and a good tactician, or they need to be seld-aware enough to outsource one of these to a good assistant. McGregor has no man-management skills for professional sport, poor tactical mind (or at least an inability to coach those tactics into players) and is too arrogant to properly use the skills of those working for him.

Sure, they players attitude and skill set need to take some responsibility, but I guarantee that employing a decent coach would yield better results than upgrading all our poor players. Hell, it was the desire and skill of our players that papered over the major cracks in Mary's ability for the past 4 years.
You correctly describe many of the subjective things that a good coach should bring to a successful team.
They are hard to measure and not always obvious.
Many of us are so focused on recruitment and which players (Hunt and Graham) will come into our roster to change our fortunes.
I also love it when we make good signings but I know that what you describe is actually more important.
It is the platform and starting point for a premiership winning team.
Then the recruitment comes afterwards.
We just don't have that ingredient.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
You correctly describe many of the subjective things that a good coach should bring to a successful team.
They are hard to measure and not always obvious.
Many of us are so focused on recruitment and which players (Hunt and Graham) will come into our roster to change our fortunes.
I also love it when we make good signings but I know that what you describe is actually more important.
It is the platform and starting point for a premiership winning team.
Then the recruitment comes afterwards.
We just don't have that ingredient.
In other words if you have an F Grade coach regardless of the players you are never ever ever going home with the SHIELD.

Life's Good

Coach
McGregor is responsible but so are the players yet they cop alot less flack.

I sure as hell want McGregor gone which I know isn't going to happen but some of the players half the time they look like they don't give to shits.
Totally agree. Mary will just sit on his hands and do nothing. I just hope that Graham & Hunt lead by attitude & bring others along for the ride because they sure as hell aren’t motivated by what comes out of the mouth of SuperCoach.

Last edited:

ouryear

Juniors
I'll go out on a limb and say most coaches would struggle to get the Dragons to actually win games.

The reason being alot of the players are mentaly fragile they drift in and out of games and make the most fundamental errors and alot of this has nothing to do with coaching its about attitude.

Its obvious some of them have an attitude problem some seem happy to just glide through games without making much of an effort and not afraid of being dropped.

Graham should help in that sense with his no nonsense approach.
Everything you describe has everything to do with the coach and his staff. The players are what they are because they are allowed to be. Mary has no idea

ouryear

Juniors
He's clearly nowhere near the top coaches but we have been playing with the worst halfback in the competition. Yes you can say that was his choice to play McCrone at halfback but even still there weren't many better options. Mann should have played the whole season at half maybe but he also seems like a confidence player. Great one week poor the next so not sure he would have been a quality half either.
Lets see next year. Its a win win I think. If Hunt is the missing link and we are playing deep in the finals then thats best case scenario. If even with Hunt at half Mary cannot chalk up the wins then fire him and get someone in in 2019 that will still have a quality side to work with.
Win Win mate![/QUOTE
Crush, there is no win if/when we finish 10th or worse. Mary is well able to suffocate Jimmy Graham and Ben Hunt. The coach rules, sure players like JT. Slater, Cronk, Smith have a big say in their clubs and their team playing style, but they have coaches who are smart, communicate well, and good people skills. Mary has none of those. There is no reason to risk another year.with a coach such as Mary. There is only downside. There is no win win. Life is too short to waste another year

ouryear

Juniors
He's clearly nowhere near the top coaches but we have been playing with the worst halfback in the competition. Yes you can say that was his choice to play McCrone at halfback but even still there weren't many better options. Mann should have played the whole season at half maybe but he also seems like a confidence player. Great one week poor the next so not sure he would have been a quality half either.
Lets see next year. Its a win win I think. If Hunt is the missing link and we are playing deep in the finals then thats best case scenario. If even with Hunt at half Mary cannot chalk up the wins then fire him and get someone in in 2019 that will still have a quality side to work with.
Win Win mate!
Crush there is no win win. Mary is well capable of suffocating Graham and Hunt, we could easily finish 10th or worse.

Coach is the boss, Mary has shown he won't allow players to determine our style of play .....Hunt will have to follow our clueless coach instructions... and Graham will just be a battering ram.

Mary has stifled Widdop, Benji, Aitken, and look how Dufty has to pass as soon as he gets the ball!

And sad to see Nene become a park footballer.

McInnes just passes the ball from dummy half, never runs the ball any more.

All have become Mary's puppets.

There is no win win Crush.

Wasting 12 more months is terrible. Life is far too short to tolerate shit.

Crush

Coach
Crush there is no win win. Mary is well capable of suffocating Graham and Hunt, we could easily finish 10th or worse.

Coach is the boss, Mary has shown he won't allow players to determine our style of play .....Hunt will have to follow our clueless coach instructions... and Graham will just be a battering ram.

Mary has stifled Widdop, Benji, Aitken, and look how Dufty has to pass as soon as he gets the ball!

And sad to see Nene become a park footballer.

McInnes just passes the ball from dummy half, never runs the ball any more.

All have become Mary's puppets.

There is no win win Crush.

Wasting 12 more months is terrible. Life is far too short to tolerate shit.
If we finish 10th or worse there will be a new coach in 2019. Thats a win.

ouryear

Juniors
If we finish 10th or worse there will be a new coach in 2019. Thats a win.
Wasting another season is a ridiculous price to pay for a win. I mean to say one day when Mary is 80 he will be too old to coach, that's a win.

There will always be a win one day, Tigers have a win with Cleary after years of pain, but it should have been fixed years ago.

To simply say we need to suffer a fool for longer so there can be a win in the future is a defeatist attitude in my opinion.

Aim high, get rid of dead wood with no hesitation.

thebigredv

First Grade
It's too easy to get on the bandwagon to say "we've signed an awesome halfback and a bit of leadership up front, we will be up there next year". You must have a short memory or be very deluded to think this.

Whether our team is marginally better next year than this or not is pointless when we have a coach who is out of his depth in first grade, I doubt we will ever finish last with such a team, but McGregor will only ever have us as pretenders in the competition. This has been proven after 3 (and a half) very frustrating almost identical seasons under Mary where he never comes up with any decent tactics.

Crush

Coach
Wasting another season is a ridiculous price to pay for a win. I mean to say one day when Mary is 80 he will be too old to coach, that's a win.

There will always be a win one day, Tigers have a win with Cleary after years of pain, but it should have been fixed years ago.

To simply say we need to suffer a fool for longer so there can be a win in the future is a defeatist attitude in my opinion.

Aim high, get rid of dead wood with no hesitation.
But thats not going to happen. They are not going to appoint a new coach for 2018 so now the best we can hope for is a great year in 2018 with Mary as coach. And if that isn't the case then they will replace him for the following season. I am hoping for a big 2018!

ouryear

Juniors
But thats not going to happen. They are not going to appoint a new coach for 2018 so now the best we can hope for is a great year in 2018 with Mary as coach. And if that isn't the case then they will replace him for the following season. I am hoping for a big 2018!
That's true Crush, but the forum need a to keep it up there, to at least help ease the frustration. If Mary does change and we do finish top 4, I will say well done. But it's a damn long bet.

thebigredv

First Grade

Hope is a wonderful thing, truly, but greatness in professional support is not accomplished through hope alone. Someone sack the coach and take charge of this club!

Crush

Coach
That's true Crush, but the forum need a to keep it up there, to at least help ease the frustration. If Mary does change and we do finish top 4, I will say well done. But it's a damn long bet.
Mate your avatar is "2018 is our year"
Lets hope so!

71saintsimon

Juniors
Sack McGregor now there is no point in carrying on with a clueless losing culture if the dragons fall into 8th position the crap arse management wil extend his contract and prolong the pain quite simply McGregor isn't a first grade coach look no further then that mediocre performance against the dogs when they had the chance to reach the play offs it was a pissed poor effort against a team that was struggling all year , losses Also against Newcastle not once but nearly twice his love affair with mcrone and not giving the young kids ago is disastrous the fact remains also if saints ever fell into the playoffs under megreger what are the chances of this guy hatching a plan to beat the likes of Bellamy and Bennett and green in a High pressure preliminary final ? Sack him now no point in carrying on with him saints fans deserve beter then this rabble going on week in week out year in year out since Wayne Bennett left

And what if we finish, say, 6th and lose first semi?

Not a great year and he won't be sacked.

As some have pointed out already, the only satisfactory measure of a coach is as follows:

1. Is he bringing out the best in the team; and

2. Is he capable of coaching the team to a premiership.

Mary miserably fails on both counts. And any other measure is artificial.

I can say without a shadow of doubt that Storm could not win premiership this year if Mary were coach. But there are many other coaches who could give it a real shake with that exact team.

This constant reassessing Mary's abilities, when there's nothing to reassess, is disgraceful management incompetence.

2018 could well turn out lose-lose. Again.

Straight Shooter

Last edited: