What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Kasiano Took Pay Cut

possm

Coach
IT’S not every day you hear of a Test star taking a pay cut while still under contract but that’s exactly what Sam Kasiano has done.
The Canterbury giant’s manager, Mario Tartak, confirmed to the Fox Sports Market Watch podcast that the 26-year-old will leave the kennel at season’s end for a fresh start in Melbourne.

He also revealed that the man affectionately known as ‘Dogzilla’ has taken a hit to the back pocket to do so and he wasn’t short of suitors.

With the Dogs under financial pressure following the pricey signings of Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran for next season, Kasiano was one of the players to receive a tap on the shoulder.

It was an opportunity he embraced with the chance to start in the front row the driving force behind his decision to leave Belmore.

While the 196 centimetre big man attracted interest from the Dragons, Eels and Warriors, it was over a coffee with Storm coach Craig Bellamy that Kasiano decided to take a pay cut and make the move to the Storm next season on a three-year-deal.

“I can announce that Sam Kasiano has definitely signed with the Melbourne Storm for a three year deal,” Tartak told the Market Watch podcast.

“That’s going to start from next year — 18, 19 and 20. Craig Bellamy flew us down. (Sam) and his wife and they were ecstatic with how the club was run and Melbourne itself. Sam’s looking forward to making the switch.

“We had offers from, I’ll give you an idea, the Dragons, Parra and the Warriors.

“Sam actually took a pay cut to be at the Melbourne Storm. That’s how much he actually liked it.”

Kasiano is the latest Bulldog to head for the exit as part of the club’s signing spree which also saw Josh Reynolds take up an offer with the Wests Tigers from next season.

It’s likely at least one more player will be forced out of the Dogs who have recently re-signed fullback Will Hopoate, winger Marcelo Montoya and backrower Adam Elliott all until the end of 2020.

Speculation continues to run rife around the future of James Graham despite multiple denials that the skipper will leave at the end of the season.

But it’s certain Kasiano will.

Market Watch first broke the news of the Storm’s interest in Kasiano in May, earmarking the big bopper as the ideal candidate to replace North Queensland bound prop Jordan McLean.

With his Bulldogs deal worth $700,000 next season, the Dogs are expected to contribute to his pay packet in 2018.

So why the pay cut? And how did Craig Bellamy beat the other clubs to his signature?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/a04cc25e22853d53cb3113658f2baded

It's too bad Millward could not pull this one off, Kasiano would have been a great addition to our forward pack. He would have not been a direct replacement for Packer, but add to our prop forward rotation.

I still feel we need to employ a professional negotiator to assist with recruitment.
Millward Mess.

Reactions: Qdf

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Honestly Possm I think you must just go looking for things to be wrong sometimes.

I'm glad we didn't get Kasiano, he's a complete flop. Let's not forget the Eels and the Warriors missed out on him as well. You can't help that Sam fell in love with Melbourne, it's his choice in the end. He's taken a pay-cut to go there so that's completely out of our control, has nothing to do with Millward.

BankstownDragon

Juniors
The point bieng simply that, if reports are true, Millward/Dragons have missed out on another potential target.

Irespective of whether we agree he would be a good replacement, its another Millward failure.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I'm sure Millward tried his best. Played down Kasiano's ability then offered him a below par deal which Millward no doubt considered reasonable. You know, the standard Dragons recruitment approach to anyone bar Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop.

ALSGI

Bench
Yeah, I have no doubt he took a a pay cut.
The talk of other clubs chasing him is BS imo (at his current value) and there's no way any club would sign him on what he's on now - even McMillDoust.

Latest posts