What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving the worst for last

Fast Eddie

First Grade
And what halfback should we have bought? Kirmorley!?

Yeah I'd say Fien might be worth a go in a few of the pre season games.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Fien was just as bad as Rovelli

I can't believe we have kept Fien but not Gatis

Also, Crockett is GARBAGE

Seriously, people say forwards win games, but it's amazing how much worse we are without 1 centre and 1 winger

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Because he dropped the ball? A hell of a lot of players did that today.

It just really sucks that we lost Ropati and Vatuvei when we did....

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Crockett made a couple of f**k-ups, but you're blind if you don't see the boy has talent. The only players I'd really take to task today are Rovelli and Lauaki, and in the case of the latter I agree with Gould that he simply couldn't handle the conditions.

Martli

Coach
I honestly think we've peaked this year becuase of poor recruitment. Tate isn't a bad player by any means, but it's obvious that we already have good centres. We could have kept byrne for less than half the price and signed someone like Monahan (Although who knows if he would have come) to fill the area we actually struggle in. Losing Gatis for Henderson could also prove to be a huge step backwards--Gatis has been great in the back end of the season.

My concern is this: since next year is our last with Price and Wiki, it is really our last chance to utilise this exeptional forward pack. Without a solid halves pairing behind them, it's just going to be more of the same. I feel we've missed a golden opportunity.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Wiki is a solid player atm. Not exceptional. He makes up for it with the influence he has over other players though I guess.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Crockett made a couple of f**k-ups, but you're blind if you don't see the boy has talent. The only players I'd really take to task today are Rovelli and Lauaki, and in the case of the latter I agree with Gould that he simply couldn't handle the conditions.

I must be blind then

He is garbage

Rovelli

Bench
Lauaki raised expectations with that game against the Roosters but has really flopped since.

He's become a little more inconsistent, but today he didn't offer much. He was frustrated at the end.

WarriorDog

Juniors
3 important calls went against the Warriors in the first half which I thought took a heavy toll on them...the two so "knock ons" and the blatant forward pass. Warriors could have had a comfortable lead in the first half if it wasnt for those blunders by Archer & his touchies.

BTW, Rovelli & Crockett sucked...Swann still sucks.

Blaze

Juniors
WarriorDog said:
3 important calls went against the Warriors in the first half which I thought took a heavy toll on them...the two so "knock ons" and the blatant forward pass. Warriors could have had a comfortable lead in the first half if it wasnt for those blunders by Archer & his touchies.

BTW, Rovelli & Crockett sucked...Swann still sucks.

I actually agree with this post 100%.

We were getting shafted early.. although it is hard to convince myself that those calls would have made a difference when we were beaten by 37

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dave Q said:
These home ground finals are a farce.

Bad luck lads.

No, the problem was just that the NRL didn't ensure that this one was played at night. Theres a reason there hasn't been a day game in Townsville for the last 5 years.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I am gutted, at the moment. Maybe I'll add something tomorrow.

Good luck to the Cowboys. But I can really see it being a Manly vs Parramatta GF. And there's nothing wrong with that.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Not a great way to finish a season that appeared to have such promise a couple of weeks ago...

On the positive side, at least you guys are making some steps in the right direction after a couple of below average seasons...

I would love to see the Warriors win the comp in the near future and hopefully give the game a real boost in NZ and a second side joining the NRL ..

Maybe 2008 will be the year, and who knows.. some of those bandwagon fans that jumped on for the last couple of home games might buy a season ticket next year..

mean

Juniors
Woeful display of incompetence. Basic errors, no structure, incomplete sets, pitiful kicking and flat player performance.

Now that the season is finally over and George Gatis has played his last game here, I hope that Fein starts watching the rugby world cup and learns from the halfbacks how to pass off the ground. He is the weak link. We do not dominate in our forwards when he is playing hooker. Rovelli gets sacked because Fein takes too long to pass to him. Our yardage is crap because he picks the ball up, takes a couple of steps and hello the d line is there welcoming our forwards.

Rovelli's kicking game is crap not only because he can't kick, but he doesn't allow the chasers time to preempt from where he will kick the ball from because he runs with it before he actually decides to kick it.

I bet that all the Warriors who turn up to teach kids how to play the ball all tell them the importance of quick play the balls, but yet fail to walk the talk. The Cowboys hurt us in the play the ball as it often left a warrior or two still lying on the ground with their speed in playing the ball.

Koopu's future in the 2nd row is going to be short lived if he continues to run across the field. It does nothing for yardage and for set plays other than getting the hookers exhausted and the d line to move forward.

A few things to work on next year and hopefully some young players are blooded.

I can't be too disappointed with the overall season since I never expected the Warriors to finish top four, but that was certainly an awful ending to it. The biggest problem is that I can't see how we can get near a premiership title with Rovelli as our halfback. He just never seems to have any composure in pressure situations and when the games get tight he rarely seems to know what to do. How many times have we seen him get the ball on the last, shuffle around a bit, then throw a desperate pass off to someone in a worse position in the hope that they'll do something? He might well be a useful player as part of the hooker rotation, but unless something drastically changes I don't think he belongs in the halves.

Of course just what to do with the halves is a rather thorny issue even if we decide Rovelli can't be there. I've always wanted to see Hohaia as 7, but I can't see it happening and to be fair apart from a few flashes of brilliance he hasn't really grabbed his opportunities after getting a few games there for the Lions. I suppose Fein could be moved to the halves, but I've never been very impressed with him there and it seems like a backwards step.On the plus side I think that Witt has been much better for us than I expected and it's great to have confidence in a Warriors kicker for once. Not to mention a main kicker who actually has a big boot on him.

I think I'd like to see Witt as halfback next year partnered by someone playing more of a running game, almost like a third centre. My top choice would probably be Ropati with Mannering and Tate in 3 & 4, but given how often Ropati seems to get injured Hohaia might need to play that role too. We won't have all that much depth, but I think that a backline of McKinnon, Crockett (or another winger as I'm not really sold on him), Tate, Mannering, Vatuvei, Ropati and Witt would be a pretty decent attacking unit. Especially backed up by a couple of Fein/Henderson/Hohaia/Rovelli in the hooker position.