What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane Club

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Perth should be a definite expansion team. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a d&$khead. If a Brisbane team is next. Redcliffe is a suburb. Western Brisbane Jets isn't a suburb. By 2022 it will be ~300,000.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So we bring in a one city Perth club with a 12,000 average,sounds reasonable.

Yeh the difference between Perth and (to pick a team purely at random) the Sharks is that the 12k fans turning up for the Perth game have no other opportunity to go to an RL game. Those sharks fans on the other hand have 8 alternatives within an hour.

Talk about wasted resources....

taipan

Referee
Or we start at 12k and gradually build to a realistic 20k that big cities should be capable of. Something outer suburban teams are never going to reach.

Start at 12,000 and build up ,like you did 1997.Yep that'll do me LOL

taipan

Referee
Yeh the difference between Perth and (to pick a team purely at random) the Sharks is that the 12k fans turning up for the Perth game have no other opportunity to go to an RL game. Those sharks fans on the other hand have 8 alternatives within an hour.

Talk about wasted resources....

I am not against Perth included in a NRL comp,I'm against PR's constant bagging of Sydney teams and wanting one of them to die or be dropped.
Whilst he continues carrying on like a nimrod, I'll return serve.

8 alternatives for "Shark's at random fans within an hour)" only someone from outside Sydney or little regular use of Sydney's infrastructure f...up )weekdays in particular would make such a comment.
Let's see Penrith to Cronulla 1 hour must have the Tokyo bullet express, ditto Manly ditto Parramatta,Canterbury,West Tigers,Souths.
Only ones I would agree with ,Dragons and Easts.
I've been driving Sydney subs for ages and the congestion is far worse each year, that includes weekends.

"Wasted resources".Buying large quantities of merchandise,the only Sydney club this year to grow their juniors, one of the few who have pushed for women's rl teams,after all these years becoming self sufficient relying on SFA poker machine monies, owning ground and development.

Wasting resources is also dropping a club with their fan base and juniors ,and putting in another.Those fans look for alternatives,and the vast majority of the time it's not another NRL club.

The rl fans in Perth (should be if they are that keen) spelling it out via regular TV ratings.Perth fans will get the opportunity to show their support this year with NRL: matches.If they really want a side, the NIB stadium should be a regular sellout.

I'll tell you what's a waste of resources ,not having a weekly NRL game in Brisbane,leaving their competitors a free go.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Start at 12,000 and build up ,like you did 1997.Yep that'll do me LOL

You think we are going to have another SL war anytime soon? Or are you just so dumb you don't realise what impact 96-97 had on the game? By the way our crowd drop off during that crazy unique period was not as low as many other established clubs.

Outer Sydney suburb clubs are stagnant and going nowhere fast, at least big city clubs have a stack of unrealised potential, look at how storm are growing under their new ownership.

taipan

Referee
You think we are going to have another SL war anytime soon? Or are you just so dumb you don't realise what impact 96-97 had on the game? By the way our crowd drop off during that crazy unique period was not as low as many other established clubs.

No I just know if the team had a bad year, those numbers would be similar.

I have a far better idea than you what impact the war had on the game.I attended the famous meeting at the club, when Meninga,Ribot,Quayle,Gow et al were at the front and the club went over to SL.Meninga made the famous comment"What has the game done for me."

Your mob even though in for less than a couple of months, had no qualms in joining SL.
Plenty of my hard earned went into helping the club, and I had the displeasure of seeing and meeting former fans ditch the code.IMO the game has still not fully recovered the gains made prior.Losing $25m from the ARL bank account was the first example.And your telling me about being dumb.You have little idea of the impact in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Neither did yours lol reality both our clubs were screwed if they didn't, both were on the bones of their arses.

But back to today, any future expansion has to be into big city markets, not Gosford, Rockhampton or outer Brisbane. Too many small clubs holding the game back as is.

taipan

Referee
Neither did yours lol reality both our clubs were screwed if they didn't, both were on the bones of their arses.

But back to today, any future expansion has to be into big city markets, not Gosford, Rockhampton or outer Brisbane. Too many small clubs holding the game back as is.

My club has been in the comp since 1967,not last minute Luigis .Yes the Sharks would have had the arse out of their trousers, but Perth Reds had the backing and lack of debt (and been in for 2 months ) no debt hanging over them like the Sharks.Only of late the debt has shrunk considerably.

I agree Gosford and Rockhampton are out of the question now.
I don't know enough about the Brisbane landscape ,except to suggest a rl loving city of 2m needs a 2nd side, for weekly NRL matches.Doubt there would be many who would disagree.
The trouble is ATM,Greenberg is spending valuable time and effort, fronting the media, and no doubt sponsors,to stick by the nRL.even though some dipstick players and officials are doing their best to dismantle it with their dumb acts.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The business model was screwed from day one, the warl board were crazy for agreeing to the arl's conditions. There was only so much money thencash convertors guy was going to pump in. Like the broke arse sharks the $'s dangled i. Front of the board was too good to resist given howmthey could see the ARL future playing out. But that's history. Perth is a different city, nrl is a different organisation and our solid crowds over the last 7 years would suggest a different outcome this time.

Brosbane2 and Perth are absolute no brainers and hopefully will be announced prior to negotiations for the 2023 tv deal.

taipan

Referee
Ok what was Saxon's comments re his recent visit to NRL headquarters?Any hints?
The business deal of SL was indeed hopeless.
Ignoring the possibility that ARL clubs would not toe the line.
Ignoring the fact the ARL had $25m in the Bank plus Packer's big pocket.
Ignoring the fact that rl fans would hardly be happy chappies,rationalising in a flash.
Ignoring the salient theme tribalism.Eg The Rabbits.
The SL sides were watered down in many instances .
News got what they wanted Pay TV set up,and the code is still behind the 8 ball compared to fumbelball which got a huge leg up from 1995-2000.
I'm in two minds SL saved the sharks that I have no doubt, but dragged the code back years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No arguments there and WA, and Bears, paid arguably the highest price. But you have to see why clubs jumped, especially clubs like yours and mine that were in dire straights and could see writing on wall. Everyone goes on about the ARL $25mill money in the bank but they set up expansion on a shoe string and it meant reds, and warriors, were screwed from day one. Warriors got lucky, reds did not. The only good thing to come out of the whole mess was a presence for the game in Melbourne, which has reaped dividends.

But that's water under the bridge and we need to look to the future and getting the comp make up back to a stronger national footprint and Brisbane to be an even stronger heart of the game than it is now.

taipan

Referee
No arguments there and WA, and Bears, paid arguably the highest price. But you have to see why clubs jumped, especially clubs like yours and mine that were in dire straights and could see writing on wall. Everyone goes on about the ARL $25mill money in the bank but they set up expansion on a shoe string and it meant reds, and warriors, were screwed from day one. Warriors got lucky, reds did not. The only good thing to come out of the whole mess was a presence for the game in Melbourne, which has reaped dividends.

But that's water under the bridge and we need to look to the future and getting the comp make up back to a stronger national footprint and Brisbane to be an even stronger heart of the game than it is now.

The biggest problem was, the intention by the ARL to expand to two only clubs in the 1995 season.Then Arko in his wisdom then said apparently what the heck let's go for 4 teams, as they have valid arguments and backing.

Water indeed under the bridge ,but stagnant water still hanging around ,thanks to the resultant 1/2 control by News ltd, which cost the code hundreds of millions in revenue,by selling the product to itself.

Just imagine where we'd be if the code had $200m plus in the Bank now before the 2018 Tv deal.We'd have grassroots funded, expansion underpinned as well as Sydney clubs needing loans.

We had incompetence with Gallop,big spender Smith and timid Greenberg who is spending/wasting his time putting out cocaine grass fires..

taipan

Referee
Yes we have been blessed with some outstanding leadership over the years :)

I'm ready to fire up :mad:to fill the gap.
1) Ram into the TV stations,better scheduling.
2) Bring in urgently weight for age junior rl.Get back the younguns afraid to tackle the big guys in the juniors.
3)Reduce insurance costs for kids. Get 9s into GPS and Asscoiated private schools, and other schools.
4)Aggressively promote the code.
5) Reduce GA prices at grounds for families.
6)Get the crap off the back pages where Massoud Flushfield,Kent,Scooper et al have a field day, further promoting negativity.
7)Sell the friggin Titans and Knights pronto to the interested parties.
8)Do more school development work, and more often.
9) Expand to Perth and Brisbane (Banana 2).
10) bring in a Fiji side to the 2nd division.
11) promote the women's game.
12) Suck up to Govt Fed and State more ,to achieve better facilities.Lick politicians' boots if need be.
13) Out of the extra 30% grant from the NRL ,clubs to contribute at least 1/3 toward better facilities.IOW if the cap is $9m and the extra 30% means $2.7m,I'd insist at least $700,000 be set aside each year toward infrastructure improvements.
Now that I've solved the code's problems, I need to spend 5 minutes at the desk to bring the Australian budget into surplus.I recommend a 30% turnover tax on fumbleball,seems fair in my book.

T-Boon

Coach
Thaiday is about to resign with the Broncos for under market value. I guess because - if he wants to live in Brisbane there is no other club for him to pay for and earn what he is worth. It is not fair on Broncos players.

Need Second Brisbane club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When you look at ratings on fox for nrl, Brisbane viewers are way down on Sydney viewers compared to fta comparison. In spite of conflict of interest with broncos ownership you'd think fox sports would be desperate for a second Brisbane team to drive up subscriptions. Some shty qland show clearly not doing it.

T-Boon

Coach
When you look at ratings on fox for nrl, Brisbane viewers are way down on Sydney viewers compared to fta comparison.

Good point. Why would Brisbane league fans bother with Fox when their team is on free to air most weekends. A second Brisbane team and a commitment that 2 Qld teams play Fox only games each weekend. $10mill.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Redcliffe is a suburb yes, but I'm telling all of you on here lol , Moreton bay as a region is exploding and lots of people in northern Brisbane would support them. Just like people in the west would support the jets in Ipswich . People in Sydney are scared... that Brisbanes second team will end up another small surburan club, you don't understand the Brisbane landscape, and there is a clear difference, Sydney has 8 clubs ? Saturating the market, Brisbane is a long way off that lol, so either the jets or Dolphins will have the backing of large areas, not just a small suburban club like some would like to claim, anything playing out of Suncorp will hurt the broncos and not really take off as Brisbane 2. Sydney's problem is too many teams in the one city, so sticking a second team in the bronco heartland would be a mistake in my books and water down both the new brand and the bronco brand. Why not start a team in booming areas who don't class themselves as Brisbane ? But are close enough to be a true rival ?.