What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Radradra: The Crystal Ball Thread

Will Semi be back or is he gone for good ? What's your prediction ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gronk

Staff member
It is a pretty obvious statement I know but lets get it out there.
We made several mistakes.
The first was when it became obvious that we had him on massive under's we exploited that rather than adjust it for what he was worth. In 2015 and 2016 it was obvious he was the best winger by a long way in the comp probably the best outside back in the game fullstop.
We should have double what he was on, even though we didn't have to.
Secondly when he was looking to leave we didn't offer him enough to stay. We should have tried to match whatever the french offered. He should have become the first million dollar a year player at our club.

We should offer him 3 year 3 million dollar contract now.

Semi is on 1 million euros taxed at only 8%.

That's $AU1.55m less only 8% or $1.55m less $124k = $1.426m in the hand.

In Australia, he would have to earn $2.7m to get $1.4M in the hand*.

* Source Tax.com

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Semi leaving had nothing to do with the club, it's just bad luck what happened.

If he wasn't on those charges maybe he does sign with us and continues to kill it.

But once he got the big bucks in France he was as good as gone in the NRL, as Pou said no other clubs signed him as well.

T-Boon

Coach
Semi leaving had nothing to do with the club, it's just bad luck what happened.

If he wasn't on those charges maybe he does sign with us and continues to kill it.

It wasn't just the charges.

There had also been rumblings that he wasn't happy with his existing contract. I think he was on about 250k a year from 2015,16,17, which anyone could see was way under his real value.
At the end of 2015 (after his second Dally M winger of year award) we could have increased his contract to 800k a year and extended the term to end of 2019. He possibly would have jumped at that.

Instead we had the short term view that we have him cheap lets just exploit him and hope he doesnt remember.

Gronk

Staff member

There had also been rumblings that he wasn't happy with his existing contract. I think he was on about 250k a year from 2015,16,17, which anyone could see was way under his real value.
At the end of 2015 (after his second Dally M winger of year award) we could have increased his contract to 800k a year and extended the term to end of 2019. He possibly would have jumped at that.

Instead we had the short term view that we have him cheap lets just exploit him and hope he doesnt remember.

Semi Radradra is literally the best (non fly-half) rugby code footballer in the world right now.

You can't afford him when you are competing with codes that have no cap in countries that have very little tax thresholds for "entertainers".

Get over it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Jeez I'm glad someone started a thread about this finally, it's so strange that there wasn't already a Semi Radradra thread on this forum....

T-Boon

Coach
Jeez I'm glad someone started a thread about this finally, it's so strange that there wasn't already a Semi Radradra thread on this forum....

Someone just sent me a youtube of Eels/Semi line breaks which reminded me of Eels line breaks (remember them? we use to do them).

Did the salary cap related events of 2015 and 2016 just pass you by?

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Pretty sure he was topped up in 2016 and 2017, we had money put aside for him this year but that was nowhere near enough to compete with what he is getting now.

Latest posts