What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Souths go?

Red Bear

Referee
Good to see support for Souths here. I agree they really need halfback, more so than a coqach. They have some decent outside backs like the Mcdougal brothers and a good pack also with fletcher, minichello, harrison, stringer. Kearny looks a good player and he should be 5/8.

Foz

Bench
Souths shouldnt go.
What some of the Sydney sides should do is look at merging but I dont think it will happen in a hurry.
I think this will only be an option to clubs as the finances run out. A natural death.

Johns Magic

Referee
No, Souths shouldn't be kicked out.
Success comes in cycles, and their time will come soon. What if the NRL got rid of every team that was struggling? There would hardly be any teams left.
Give Souths time, and eventually, they will pull through.

Biglance

Bench
honestly u bloody queenslanders dont deserve a gold coast team uve had two teams in that area and both have failed

t-ba

Post Whore
Yes they do. There's enough Queenslanders in the NRL to fill 3 sides and probably another sides worth of Players in the QLD cup. Super league Killed the Chargers and the That and Poor (Woeful, Woeful) Management killed the Crushers. 4 teams is the future for Queensland.

Dragon Fanatic

Juniors
Why kick them out for? Because they are struggling you are kidding. They are a new club. They have had to restructure the whole place. Why not kick out NQ same principle havent been in the 8 ever, but because they are semi new its ok. Souths have only been back in the comp for 3 years now and you want to punt them! Never forget where you came from. Getting rid of Souths will do this!!!

Red Bear

Referee
Cowboys have never made the top ten except for when Super League was around(ten team comp n i think they came tenth). Souths were playing decent footy in 99 with ten wins before they were kicked out, they have had to start all over again and it is bloody hard, plus they can't atract any quality players except for Fletcher and Harrison but more importantly quality halves which is what they need.

Bib

Juniors
well at the end of 2002 everyone would have been calling for the end of the tigers. Well we are now 6th, and had a record home crowd, Things change, give the bunnies sometime

GAME FIRST

Juniors
Souths have to relocate or do something new without money or without redfern any longer- move to central coast or merge because they are going nowhere fast in every way from management to vision to results on field- too long like this means they are not growing any support- thay will self destuct in this climate-no doubt if one more year of these results-no excuses now!

good luck to them but that might not even save them this time !

GAME FIRST

Juniors
Tgers have a modern fast growing area as well as Leichardt, so they have had vision fir their future -growing soth-western sydnet fan base and junior base.

Well done to them they have secured their future with this only-if they continue to win on field- they will be top4 side for several years.

Rabitohs do not move forward through Piggins narrow mind and thinking- they have self destructed by being stubborn!

Goodbye to souths we may hear soon.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
Phillips said:
the topic of this thread is a joke, souths should have never been punted in the first place

I started the thread and I'm glad it's created some healthy discussion. The reason I asked this question was not because Souths are losing but because I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for them (know matter how great their history) in this day and age when league needs to take some rapid steps forward. I grew up in Townsville and have spent almost all my 34 years in QLD with the exception of a few years spent working interstate (and yes, I have a soft spot for the Cowboys in case you're wondering!). In this time I have seen AFL grow (shite game but very well marketed) and Rugby (ditto ... most of the time at least) make major inroads across the country. I still believe League is the greatest game of all and don't want to see it became all about Sydney and Brisbane. I too can reminisce about the days when the Brisbane Rugby League was full of internationals and so on but that was then and no matter how sad I am that those great teams are mostly overlooked these days I understand that we needed a Brisbane Broncos for the good of the game. I'm not sure if a second SE QLD team is a good idea or not as we've had a couple of cracks at it and neither has worked well. The Broncos are so strong here it would be hard for this new team to garner major support from the public initially. A Central Coast team is a must as those people will support a team no matter how often they win or lose (e.g Cowboys fans). Most of the posts seem to be like this - if you're from NSW you want them to stay or if you're from QLD you're not keen to see them stay (I'm generalising but that's the gist of the posts). Forget where you're from or what team you support and ask yourself what the game needs!

Nice to see some great support from fans from a wide range of other teams :)

The simple fact is though, if Souths dont get things into order on and off the field very soon you wont have to worry about punting them, because in my opinion they will die on their own.

And next time there will be no marches.

It's time to get some professionals to run the club

chooky

Juniors
Dragon Fanatic said:
Why kick them out for? Because they are struggling you are kidding. They are a new club. They have had to restructure the whole place. Why not kick out NQ same principle havent been in the 8 ever, but because they are semi new its ok. Souths have only been back in the comp for 3 years now and you want to punt them! Never forget where you came from. Getting rid of Souths will do this!!!

a new club? that's a joke right?

get rid of them

Anonymous

Juniors
*SIGH* as much as I hate to say it they probobly will get booted again, and this time there will be no recourse.

Their big problem that I can see is that they're junior area, fan base and stadium are all the same as Easts. This creates a problem as when there are such wide open areas screaming for a team, why should one pocket of Sydney have two?

fatshark

Bench
How the hell do South Sydney, St George Illawarra, Cronulla, Cantebury, Sydney City, Parramatta, Penrith, Manly, Newton, North Sydney and Wests all fit in to the NRL?

:roll:
honestly what sort of a stupid question is that. They are/were the roots of the league you goose.

Latest posts