What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Todd Carney be allowed back in the NRL?

Its an interesting one. He hasn't really been banned from the NRL its just that no club has offered him a contract which you can understand. If his recent sackings are to do with alcohol related incidents, then no club is willing to take the risk of signing them and have their reputation tarnished by one player.

Having said that, if the likes of Lodge and Packer are allowed to get another chance, then Carney should be given the opportunity.

Lodge has been sacked by how many clubs, 2 or 3?

Lodge only played first grade at one club, the Wests Tigers from mid 2014 to 2015. Prior to that, he spent 2013 and the first part of 2014 playing Holden Cup for the Storm (they released him to the West Tigers mid-2014) and before that was playing Holden Cup for the Panthers in 2012. Only the Tigers sacked him, and that was after the incident in New York.

Packer had his contract with the Knights terminated before he played a game for them in January 2014 after the assault charge, of which he was subsequently convicted.

In the scheme of things, yes what Packer and Lodge did was much worse than Carney. The thing is, to date, they seem to have learned from what they did wrong and are moving forward. Unlike Packer and Lodge though, Carney is a repeat offender who has not shown he has learnt from any of his incidents. That is why I doubt anyone would sign him cause I doubt he can be self disciplined enough to behave.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What are the charges Todd Carney has?

Negligent driving and driving while disqualified. Played NRL after that.
Vandalised a car. Played NRL after that.

Caught being a dickhead on social media --> discarded

Meanwhile, Coaches get drink driving charges, no problem.
Beat your wife, no problem.
Almost kill a dude, no problem.

Moral to the NRL story, break the law, no problem.

Be a dickhead on social media, f**k off and die.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Self correction,

Take steroids, peptides all is forgiven.

Take a line of coke in your spare time, Walker, Salior, Barba, also never been charged by the correct authorities f**k off and die.

And if a Bronco it did not happen.

Life's Good

Coach
Plenty of others have done worse.
It really boils down to a club making a formal application to sign him. Why the f*ck they would want to (and someone will) shows a distinct lack of creativity & b*lls by a club to develop new talent.
Good luck to him if he can get a gig.

Eion

First Grade
Plenty of others have done worse.
It really boils down to a club making a formal application to sign him. Why the f*ck they would want to (and someone will) shows a distinct lack of creativity & b*lls by a club to develop new talent.
Good luck to him if he can get a gig.
This. Add in the hammys of an 80year old to the certainty he will derail your club off the field and have at it I say. Buyer beware

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Very good reasons.

Player reasons, suspect as player, no issue.

I maintain Andrew Walker is the most duded player ever.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If a club is willing to sign him i wouldnt care. Yeah he is an almighty drongo but its not like he is a wife beater or a head stomper

They let grubs like Adam McDougal,Russell Packer (same crime,both on video),the Fafita grubs,Lodge and Inglis play

He's committed a crime,but so did Watmough and he was allowed to play on,then retire with a pre-existing injury allowed under the radar by Todd Greenberg

Bring in Jamal Hopoate too

RazorRam0n

Juniors
i'd like to see manly pick him up,...so he can help tear up any remaining corporate interest they have left after the cap breach findings are handed down

davi

Juniors
Sounds like it's more like Carney trying to find a club which will take a punt on him...

Exactly. The NRL isn't standing in the way of Todd Carney for his past indiscretions its more due to the fact that

1. NRL haven't been offered a contract of Carney's to register for 2018.

2. NRL refused to register the Dragons offer for Carney a couple years ago because Carney and the Sharks hadn't resolved their unfair dismal case. Carney has acknowledge this himself, but a lot of people have taken this refusal as why the NRL have banned him for his past discretions when it isn't the case.

This article hasn't really acknowledge this and until Carney gets an offer there is no point trying to pin this on the NRL as "should the NRL give him another chance?". The clubs are the one's that are not offering Carney another chance not the NRL.

Life's Good

Coach
They let grubs like Adam McDougal,Russell Packer (same crime,both on video),the Fafita grubs,Lodge and Inglis play

He's committed a crime,but so did Watmough and he was allowed to play on,then retire with a pre-existing injury allowed under the radar by Todd Greenberg

Bring in Jamal Hopoate too

Toovey should not have tried to tackle MacDougal face first. Anyway, 20 years ago, time to let go.

Todd Carney is a former Dally M Medal winner (in 2010). He is obviously a player with great talent. Unfortunately he is an alcoholic and cannot realise his potential. That is why he has been sacked by every club he has played with in Australia, France and the U.K. (who all said when they signed him that they were giving him another chance).

T-Boon

Coach
The answer to this question is yes. I can't remember why he got banned in the first place. We need to stop pandering to a hypocritical society that thinks it is holier than thou when it is not.

Raiderdave

First Grade
of course he should if a club wants him. He'd be subject to the code of conduct again & should he step out of line again , he'll have his contract torn up again.

if i were a club however , I wouldn't be speding too much on him , he is a risk. Maybe as an incentive to keep out of trouble , a portion of his payments could be put aside as a bond that he gets back at the end of his contract should there be no mis behaviour.