What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SL France-watch

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm kind of interested to see how French internationals and potentials go in SL this year. Figured others might be too. ping
@Albert Rosenfeld ...

Theo Fages pulled Man of the Match honours for St Helens vs Leeds with a huge defensive performance for a five-eighth (38 tackles or so)

Hopefully he's managed to get the French coach onside after last year's tiff. Looks quality every time I see him play.

adamkungl

Immortal
France's last start squad (as best I can find... positions might be wrong?):

1 Gigot (Catalans)
2 Pala (Catalans)
3 Garcia (Catalans)
4 Duport (Catalans)
5 Arnaud (Avignon)
6 Robin (Toulouse)
7 Barthau (London)
8 Navarrete (Wigan)
9 Da Costa (Catalans)
10 Casty (Catalans)
11 Simon (Wakefield)
12 Jullien (Warrington)
13 Bousquet (Catalans)

14 Pelissier (Leigh)
15 Goudemand (Avignon)
16 Springer (Castleford)
17 Larroyer (Hull FC)

18 Negre (Saint-Esteve)
19 Bonnet (Lezignan)
20 Perez (Catalans)

Unnamed

Albert (Catalans)
Fages (St Helens)
Yaha (Catalans)
Bosc (Catalans)
Baitieri (Catalans)
Seguier (Catalans)
Maria (Leigh)
Escare (Wigan)
Boudebza (Hull KR)
Nzoungou (Melbourne)
Maurel (Toulouse)
Ader (Toulouse)
White (Toulouse)
Boyer (Toulouse)
K Bentley (Toulouse)
Canet (Toulouse)
Planas (Toulouse)
A Bentley (Toulouse)
Kriouache (Toulouse)
Puech (Toulouse)
Ferret (Toulouse)
Denis (Toulouse)
Maguerite (Toulouse)
Sangare (Toulouse)
Marion (Toulouse)

Are there any other French players currently in Super League squads? Will update list as the season goes on/people remember more

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Current French players in SL squads outside of Catalans:

Fages (St Helens)
Springer (Castleford)
Pelissier, Maria (Leigh)
Escare, Navarrete (Wigan)
Jullien (Warrington)

Also Larroyer currently training with Hull FC but without a contract.

In the Championship outside of Toulouse AFAIK it's just Barthau at London currently.

jim_57

Staff member
Would be good to see a bit more Toulouse representation in the World Cup, assuming they do ok in Championship, but the trial against Catalans definitely shows there is talent there.

As for French players at English clubs, off the top of my head:

Escare & Navarrette - Wigan
Pelissier & Maria - Leigh
Julien - Warrington
Springer - Castleford
Fages - St Helens
Barthau - London

Probably some I've missed.

Edit: beaten to it. And is Nzoungou at the Storm?

Storm13

Juniors
Lets hope this Gigot fiasco can be resolved. Be a shame to see him rubbed out amid the reports that have been made public.

http://www.rugby-league.com/superle...ringer-agrees-two-year-cas-contract-extension

CASTLEFORD TIGERS' FRANCE INTERNATIONAL GADWIN SPRINGER HAS AGREED A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION THAT WILL KEEP HIM WITH THE BETFRED SUPER LEAGUE CLUB UNTIL THE END OF 2019.
The 23-year-old French Guiana-born prop forward, who is the first South American to play in Super League, has become a crowd favourite since joining Castleford from Catalans Dragons halfway through the 2015 season on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

Tigers coach Daryl Powell said: "Gadwin has worked exceptionally hard since he has been at the club to develop all aspects of his game.

"He is a big physical specimen whose ball carries are a real threat to opposition defence. I have no doubt he will continue to improve and develop into an all-round outstanding front rower of the future and I'm delighted that he has agreed to extend his contract at the club."

Springer said: "I feel very happy to be staying at Castleford for two more years. Since I have come here I have improved a lot and I think of Cas as my second home now.

"I think it is great that the fans chant for me and I appreciate how they support the team. I just love playing at Jungle! We have a great side and I hope we can win something soon. I think that if we go through the season with no injuries we can achieve something great here at the Tigers.

imagesource.php

jim_57

Staff member
I've always thought he was too small but Escare didn't look out of his depth in the WCC

Apparently he has packed on a few kgs pre-season. It's a bit sad, but a think a few players would be best to get away from Catalans at present.

Would be good to see a French player finally crack it at NRL level. The young guy at Melbourne has a world of potential by all reports.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Apparently he has packed on a few kgs pre-season. It's a bit sad, but a think a few players would be best to get away from Catalans at present.
Plenty of young French guys who need to get away from Catalans to progress. There are good prospects struggling to get a game for their reserves ATM because they are hoarding players.

Sad to see Antoni Maria needs an operation and will be out 4 months after a solid debut for Leigh on the weekend, guy has no luck after being held back for years at Catalans.

jim_57

Staff member
Plenty of young French guys who need to get away from Catalans to progress. There are good prospects struggling to get a game for their reserves ATM because they are hoarding players.

Sad to see Antoni Maria needs an operation and will be out 4 months after a solid debut for Leigh on the weekend, guy has no luck after being held back for years at Catalans.

Definitely, by all reports all French players are on peanuts even regular first graders, would be good to see their Academy prospects getting snapped up by other SL clubs, instead of having their development stifled in years of reserves behind the turnstyle of past-it Aussies.

Seeing players like Springer, Escare, Pelissier etc carve it up in England might be a good wake up call for the club, but I won't hold my breath.

adamkungl

Immortal
2 Super League clubs and French players scattered throughout English and NRL clubs would be ideal in 5-10 years.

Yep. By all reports the french age restricted teams, u23s and stuff, perform well.
Need money to keep them in the sport and getting top coaching.