What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smackdown SuperThread *Spoilers*

Big Pete

Referee
Awwwww you've got to love it!

Mah man Booker Tee is gunna rag tag SmackDown!

Give me a Hayell Yeah!

Reckon it'll be a very generic run although if he's given creative control it could mean good things for Antonio Cesaro, Prime Time Players & the like.

His Top 5 usually comprises of up and coming talent and he doesn't strike me as the kind of face who panders to them.

Ozzy

First Grade
Smackdown *spoiler*

Big Show loses his title on Friday's episode.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Smackdown *spoiler*

Big Show loses his title on Friday's episode.
Why isn't that coming up on...

http://www.lordsofpain.net/reports/wwe/smackdown/LIVE_SPOILERS_FOR_THIS_WEEK_S_WWE_SMACKDOWN_1_11_13.html

I mean it says Del Rio is new World Heavy Weight champion. That can't be right, it doesn't say the match is for the title.

Source?

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
The match wasn’t originally meant to be for the title but obviously things changed. I can see ADR retaining at RR and then being beaten down by Big Show so Dolph can cash in or perhaps Big Show is injured.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't know if I can buy Del Rio as a face. It's still early days, but I feel like his past has put a glass ceiling on how much success he can achieve as a face and I don't know if they can endear him to the WWE 'Universe'.

Still, his reign comes as a welcome relief. I like Show more than most, he understands how to build a match but his character was doing little for me and his endless series of matches with Sheamus was damn near mind numbing.

Sheamus has to be one of the worst face characters in history.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Show and Sheamus have both suffered from diabolical booking. Sheamus as a take no prisoners, larrikin, Austin-esque face would work but he has been stymied by this prolonged feud with Show.

Show is a great monster and needs to just be dominating all comers until a worthy 'Jack' comes along to act as giant-killer.

Parra Pride

Coach
This is the first time in years I haven't read Smackdown spoilers before watching, so being a Del Rio mark I was pleasantly surprised by what happened.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Taker def. Dean Ambrose.

Take that smarks!

Just watched the match. Taker may have got the win, but he made Ambrose look good in getting there. Sold a beating for a good portion of the match and locked in the Hell's Gate out of nowhere to secure a win. That's how you win a match and make a guy look like a star in the same breath.

Sold that post match beating too. Great segment.

Big Pete

Referee
Aye, I was just poking fun at how people read way too much into the results of a match. Taker put him over pretty huge in that match and it's clear the WWE has big plans for Ambrose and The Shield.

Good episode of SD all-round. ADR/Swagger was a PPV quality match yet it merely opened and we got a host of big name matches in Show/Sheamus & Orton/Henry. Wish they would focus more on angles and giving the lesser acts mic time to get themselves over but that's been a major complaint of Smackdown for years now - probably going as far back as 2006.

Might be a topic for another thread, but I don't really care about seeing quality matches on television. Television should be used to persuade fans into wanting to watch the matches, not to showcase them freely. Considering how many hours free television the WWE gives away, it's difficult to really care about the big PPV they're trying to sell at the end of the day. Especially when they're charging $50+ in the States.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Might be a topic for another thread, but I don't really care about seeing quality matches on television. Television should be used to persuade fans into wanting to watch the matches, not to showcase them freely. Considering how many hours free television the WWE gives away, it's difficult to really care about the big PPV they're trying to sell at the end of the day. Especially when they're charging $50+ in the States.

I'd rather see quality undercard matches and save the big matches for PPV. I'm tired of seeing the many mix and match clashes between Orton/Sheamus/Big Show/Henry etc. Give me a 10 minute Cesaro match and a 10 minute Rhodes Scholars/Hell No match or something.

WCW's biggest draw for me (and many people) was the quality wrestling down low and the quality (?) story-telling up top. The shows these days are the same guys for two hours and then the same guys on PPV as well.

No wonder they can't create any stars.

WYD

Juniors
Just watched the match. Taker may have got the win, but he made Ambrose look good in getting there. Sold a beating for a good portion of the match and locked in the Hell's Gate out of nowhere to secure a win. That's how you win a match and make a guy look like a star in the same breath.

Sold that post match beating too. Great segment.
I'm sure in the twisted logic of WWE creative that is putting someone over but tapping out in the WWE makes you look like a bitch. The Shield looked Aces & 8-esque in that segment. Why couldn't Taker just get a DQ win? Rollins and Reigns should have interfered rather than Ambrose straight up tapping.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm sure in the twisted logic of WWE creative that is putting someone over but tapping out in the WWE makes you look like a bitch. The Shield looked Aces & 8-esque in that segment. Why couldn't Taker just get a DQ win? Rollins and Reigns should have interfered rather than Ambrose straight up tapping.

I would have preferred the DQ finish, but Ambrose doesn't look weak tapping out to arguably the best built up and most protected submission on the current roster. The big names have tapped out to that one. Better he goes out to Hell's Gate than a chokeslam IMO.

Misanthrope

Staff member
But I thought the WWE doesn't build new stars?

Oh my.

Let's be honest; what stars have they effectively built of late outside of the Shield? The midcard is a quagmire of guys who hit the glass ceiling while the the main event is a largely stagnant mix of the same guys who have been there for the last 2-3 years.

It's not a smark argument that the WWE isn't building new stars effectively. The company is aware of it too. I'm enjoying the WWE product quite a bit when the Shield are involved - but the rehashed Henry/Ortom/Sheamus/Big Show stuff, the horrendous treatment of Ziggler's title run this far, the abortion of the tag division, and the stagnation of pushes for guys like Rhodes/Sandow/Cesaro/Barrett etc aren't exactly making for must see TV otherwise.

Latest posts