What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoonwatch 2017

Vic Mackey

Referee
Don't get the hype around the spoon. We've finished 2nd last a few times and it certainly didn't make me feel any better about our season finishing a win ahead of another shithouse team. Will be the same this year if we come 15th.

Admittedly in my time following them Balmain or the wests Tigers have never finished last so I can't really speak from experience knowing what it feels like.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Don't get the hype around the spoon. We've finished 2nd last a few times and it certainly didn't make me feel any better about our season finishing a win ahead of another shithouse team. Will be the same this year if we come 15th.

Admittedly in my time following them Balmain or the wests Tigers have never finished last so I can't really speak from experience knowing what it feels like.

As a fan it still sucks to come 15th your team has still be terrible and its nothing to celebrate, but the major difference is history always remembers the team that wins the spoon. No one really looks back and cares who finished second last.

Once you win one other fans will be sure to remind you...Us Parra fans know it, Newcastles turn at the moment but they will get out of it.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
To me, the spoon can be a great thing for a club to collect as long as it leads to wholesale change that is sorely required.

I think if we'd 'won' it in 2015 (we were a loss off it with a woeful points diff) McFadden would've been fired, and then that sort of sliding doors moment could've led to a whole different amount of circumstances. For a start, Matulino would've come off a powerhouse 2015 into a new coach, rather than being benched and demotivated to the point he's now gone. Maybe we get a better coach than Kearney. Another year of unprofessionalism and underperformance may not happen.

Maybe it would've, but a spoon could've definitely done more for us than coming '13th' and pretending we weren't absolutely shithouse.

Valheru

Coach

This

It's never nice to finish last but anywhere from 13th-16th represents a horrible season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
A stat on Twitter just showed the tigers have played more games against top 8 teams this year then anyone else. Whilst it doesn't excuse our shitness it shows that you can't really judge a ladder until the end of the year.

davi

Juniors
NRL forced to apologise to Tigers and Knights on their marketing of the game.

NRL apologises to Wests Tigers and Newcastle after advertising clash as “the battle for the spoon’’

RED-FACED NRL officials have been forced to apologise to the Wests Tigers and Newcastle after bizarrely advertising Sunday’s clash as ”the battle for the spoon’’.

An email was sent to Tigers and Knights supporters from the NRL late on Wednesday, encouraging them to buy tickets and support the Voice for Mining Family Day.

The message then advised fans to “get there early to soak up the battle for the spoon!”

Tigers boss Justin Pascoe and Knights counterpart Matt Gidley were contacted hours later by the governing body.

It has been a tough year for both clubs who are anchored at the bottom of the ladder and been forced to pay big money to lure players for next year.

Newcastle great Matt Johns is known to enjoy a laugh, but did not see the funny side about the NRL alert.

“The NRL should be worrying about other things rather than trying to predict who will get the wooden spoon,’’ Johns said.

“Those blokes in the Newcastle team have been busting their arses all year, they’re young, and they’ve had some really close results. That’s not on. Leave that sort of stuff to the sports betting agencies.

“To have it from the governing body?

“I’ll be going to the game on Sunday, and I’ll be there to support the Knights. That’s what I’m going for. I don’t appreciate the governing body taking a cheap shot.

“Some marketing person has got a bit carried away. It’s not what you’d call a great selling point. Put it this way, I wouldn’t want them selling my house.’’

Newcastle great Matt Johns is known to enjoy a laugh, but did not see the funny side about the NRL alert.

“The NRL should be worrying about other things rather than trying to predict who will get the wooden spoon,’’ Johns said.

“Those blokes in the Newcastle team have been busting their arses all year, they’re young, and they’ve had some really close results. That’s not on. Leave that sort of stuff to the sports betting agencies.

“To have it from the governing body?

“I’ll be going to the game on Sunday, and I’ll be there to support the Knights. That’s what I’m going for. I don’t appreciate the governing body taking a cheap shot.

“Some marketing person has got a bit carried away. It’s not what you’d call a great selling point. Put it this way, I wouldn’t want them selling my house.’’

An NRL spokesman confirmed an apology had been sent to the Tigers and Knights. “Clearly both clubs are working hard to climb the ladder in the coming weeks so the reference to the spoon was not appropriate,’’ the spokesman said.

“It was an error of judgment and we have now put in place additional checks to prevent it happening again.’’

Knights officials are banking on around 20,000 fans heading to McDonald Jones Stadium.

The Knights have won at home twice this year, and the Tigers are hoping to avoid an eighth straight loss."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/012cee81e480d6effcac60069d727884

Lambretta

First Grade
I really, really want to see the Knights win some games
How bloody unlucky were they against the Dragons?

Come on Knights - dig in lads

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Going to be an interesting last few weeks

I think we will most likely get it unless we can some how get two wins against Parra and Canberra

Wests don't exactly have an easy run home but should beat the warriors in round 26

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So, when you go to nrl.com to look at the ladder they have a column for wins, losses, draws, for, against, competition points and then f**king sportsbets odds. This is the official site of the game and their official ladder features gambling odds, what a great look.

Anyway, will be a tight run thing but the knights will probably still get the spoon for the last time in a while.

Latest posts