Sport Accord recognition

Discussion in 'International' started by Lockyer4President!, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Lockyer4President!

Lockyer4President! First Grade

Sounds like it might actually be happening this year. A big round of applause for Rugby Union, almost half a century of blocking the RLIF's entry. Didn't quite get the 50 but they put in a good knock.

9's at the Commonwealth Games here we come.

http://thesportdigest.com/2016/03/e...-membership-but-esports-and-parkour-rejected/

titoelcolombiano likes this.
  2. yakstorm

yakstorm Bench

Here's hoping the recommendation goes through... from a funding and government recognition aspect this is significant for a number of developing Rugby League nations.

Credit deserves to go to the RLIF for finally getting this through (assuming that there are no last minute surprises)

3. langpark

langpark First Grade

I heard a few months ago that Sport Accord was going to become redundant in the near future and that an other body would be replacing it. So I wonder if this is too little too late?

Also: International Federation of Poker (IFP) ???? Seriously!?!??! 'Sport'??

4. Craigo

Craigo Juniors

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. How the hell could they choose poker over Dodgeball?? The American Dodgeball Association of America will be extremely disapointed...

5. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Moderator Staff Member

Great and long overdue news but the presence of RL among the other 'sports' in that article really shows how badly the previous RLIF administrations have been f**king up. Seriously, what have these people been doing all these years? It's shameful. Even the likes of Cheerleading, Draughts and Tug of War have Sport Accord.

6. latingringo101

latingringo101 Juniors

Glad that this is finally being sorted out. Should have been done 50 years ago!

7. Lockyer4President!

Lockyer4President! First Grade

Rugby Union still trying their best to keep Rugby League out. Instead of today/tomorrow it will now be November at the earliest.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...clusion-postponed-until-new-president-elected

8. ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL Moderator Staff Member

Wish that mob would start worrying about itself than worrying about Rugby League.

And the Unionites wonder why we despise them so much :crazy:

9. East Coast Tiger

East Coast Tiger Coach

Vagina wigs

10. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

Haha.. merkins

11. taipan

taipan Coach

Bloody union,Vichy tactics in 2016.Nothing's changed.I played their game for 5 years,and as I get older the more I detest the officials that are involved,and the game.

12. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

I'd love to know what was written in the letter...

13. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

It still shits me how stupid our sports name is....

I know Yawnion would keep up the attack regardless of the name, but im positive one of their "official" complaints in that letter (and in every attempt to block RL bodies) is the claim to owning "Rugby".

Why do we keep bashing our heads against a wall, latching onto a brand that isnt even valuable to us?!?!?! Can we please stop riding RUs coattails and just believe that our sport can develop in its own right, based on its own merits.

It would put us in a much stronger position for the time that Vichy lot come at us...

14. Pig Champion

Pig Champion Juniors

I really, really, really hate rugby ****ing union. Hate it.

A name change, good in theory but getting a good, new name and consensus may prove somewhat difficult.

15. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

topball

16. Knownothing

Knownothing Juniors

Quod erat demonstrandum.

17. CC_Roosters

CC_Roosters First Grade

What is sport accord and what does being a member of it mean for the sport?

How long before "world rugby" unilaterally declares ownership of rugby league?.

18. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Its not like our brand is all that consistent now...

In England, its just called Rugby which is even more confusing and in France its Game-of-13/Jeu à Treize. So moving the RLIF away from "Rugby League" is really the focus of what i am suggesting.

They wont need a consencus on the name because no one that cares will be effected imediately. In the areas RL is boutique at best, the sport would be established from the begining with the unique name.

On the other hand, areas where RL is already established (Aust, UK, NZ, Pacific) the name doesnt need to change (at least not in the short run). In the long run, the name may naturally filter through to overtake "Rugby League" as the common brand.

I would never suggest the RLIF just stand up and announce "X is our sports new name, you will use this and nothing else". A change would need to be gradual and incremental, beginning with organisations such as the RLIF and flowing from there to the branding in developing organisations......

Didnt they already do it in Saudi Arabia??? (based mostly on the fact that anything "rugby" is considered to belong to them)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  19. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

20. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

bloody union... bunch of tosses