What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport and Training Practices

Valderon

Juniors
Hey all,

It often interests me to hear of the many different ways people use their time in training, whether it be through a club controlled environment, of a self-educated progression.

So, what sport do you play? or are you involved in? ... how many times do you train per week? , and what do you generally do during your training sessions? (fitness, skills, etc..)?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
currently my training week looks like this

Mon - Max Effort Upper Body
Tue - Club training
Wed - Max Effort Lower Body
Thurs - cardio
Fri - Repetition Lower Body
Sat - recover from hangover
Sun - Recover from hangover and do a sprint session in the arvo

Following a program from defrancostraining.com

Valderon

Juniors
currently my training week looks like this

Mon - Max Effort Upper Body
Tue - Club training
Wed - Max Effort Lower Body
Thurs - cardio
Fri - Repetition Lower Body
Sat - recover from hangover
Sun - Recover from hangover and do a sprint session in the arvo

Following a program from defrancostraining.com

Cool . Good to see DeFranco accounts for hangover recovery in his programs. Haha.

Red Bear

Referee
At the moment it's cricket season, which involves playing on Saturdays and training on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is generally skill based (we'll do fielding for 45 minutes followed by some batting and bowling). Around that i run anywhere between 1-4 times a week, depening how f**ked i am from working 11pm-6am couple of nights a week. Have an area i run which is full of hills and courses which vary between about 7 km up to half marathon length or further if i want. Usually try and run at a decent pace (about 5 minute km's).

Soccer training starts next week however, which will be largely fitness based early i would imagine for 2-3 days a week, along with my running around it.

Go to the gym a bit but need to get my shoulder checked out due to damage from 12 seasons of cricket. Dont particularly enjoy the gym, find it boring to be honest and prefer either running or training/playing in a team environment, but started going a bit just because i needed that extra bit of strength

Valderon

Juniors
At the moment it's cricket season, which involves playing on Saturdays and training on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is generally skill based (we'll do fielding for 45 minutes followed by some batting and bowling). Around that i run anywhere between 1-4 times a week, depening how f**ked i am from working 11pm-6am couple of nights a week. Have an area i run which is full of hills and courses which vary between about 7 km up to half marathon length or further if i want. Usually try and run at a decent pace (about 5 minute km's).

Soccer training starts next week however, which will be largely fitness based early i would imagine for 2-3 days a week, along with my running around it.

Go to the gym a bit but need to get my shoulder checked out due to damage from 12 seasons of cricket. Dont particularly enjoy the gym, find it boring to be honest and prefer either running or training/playing in a team environment, but started going a bit just because i needed that extra bit of strength

It's likely your shoulder injury would've been exacerbated by the fact you don't strength train much at the Gym. Obviously it's not going to be the primary focus of your training; though I wouldn't neglect it because of boredom either. I'm confident any physiotherapist you see will give you strengthening exercises for your deep rotator-cuff muscles; and likely the superficial deltoid muscles as well. Not to mention, gym work will certainly benefit you in Soccer. Without a doubt, it'll help reduce injury incidence in your legs (soft tissue, or knee injuries).

As for gym boredom; does your team train together in a Gym environment? .. generally speaking, team training in a gym environment is great fun; and very motivational - depending on what your team mates are like though.

Red Bear

Referee
I do the gym work because i neeed it, and i'll do more of it once I know what i need to do regarding the shoulder, although i was doing a bit of rotator cuff strengthening already at the gym. My strength of the rotator cuff is absolutely pathetic!

And no we dont have gym session, although we do alot of fitness work in the pre season, beach work and core strength etc. The gym would mainly be for ethe upper body.

Last edited:

JoeD

First Grade
Its summer so I'm on my bike a couple of days a week and i go for between 25 - 60km rides (1-3 hrs) I also go to the pool at least once a week and knock off 20 lengths. Running i hate, so i haven't started yet this year but i'll work up to a couple of 5km runs a week. I'm planning on doing a couple of half tri's in March (500m swim, 20kmbike, 5km run) and a longer distance bike (100km) in April.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I train with a triathlon club and we have structured sessions from Mon-Sat, and then Sunday is a group ride day (not officially endorsed by the club so to speak).

Monday - Swim (sprints - normally a 1.5 hr session)
Tuesday - Run (1.5 hr session, normally moderate effort)
Wednesday - Swim (1 hr, moderate intensity efforts), Windtrainer (1 hr, threshold work)
Thursday - Ride (1.5 hrs, normally cover about 50ks, about 20-25ks of hard efforts, 10ks recovery, rest is warmup/riding to session)
Friday - Swim (1 hr, endurance), Run (speedwork)
Saturday - Long run (15-20ks, maybe split into loops with recovery, all at a very aerobic pace)
Sunday - Long ride (100ks plus, normally 3-4 hrs, at aerobic pace)

I guess my totals every week are about 8-9k's swimming, 30-40k's running and 200k's bike (I ride to and from most sessions).

At the moment not really concerned with no rest days, if I'm tired I just take it a bit easier. I also crash into bed at about 8:30!!!

I've found since doing most of my running at aerobic pace (HR under 150; only 5min k's) I've had significant speed increases when I first started running at a HR of 150 I could barely hold 6 min k's. The improvements I've had in these last 4 months of having a structured training program have been phenomenal, I used to just go and thrash out 7-8k runs 3 times a week trying to break 5min k's every time.

Snoochies

First Grade
Thought I might start a thread where everyone can list their training schedules because if you are like me, you would like new ideas and extra motivation. Obviously different people have different goals so here we can share our training routines and also let us know what goals you are trying to achieve.

Here is mine.

Weight :103kg
Height: 183
BF%: 23%

My goal is to get down to around 15% BF and hopefully around the 95kg mark.

My new routine is as follows:

Monday (Weights)

3 sets of everything 12-15 reps
  • Barbell Incline Bench Press
  • Dumbell Bench Press
  • Dumbell Shoulder Press
  • Cable Upright Row
  • Dumbell Shrugs
  • Tricep Kickbacks
  • Raised Leg Crunches to Failure
Tuesday (Cardio)
  • Half hour boxing session (Bas Rutten 2 min rounds)
  • 20 mins sprints
Wednesday (Weights)
  • Leg Press/Squat
  • Leg Extension
  • Lying Leg Curls
  • Seated Clf Raises
  • Close Grip Lat Pulldown
  • One Arm Row
  • Dumbell Bicep Curls
  • Seated Leg Lifts to Failure
Thursday (Cardio)
  • Same as Tuesday
Friday (Body Weight Exercises)
  • Bas Rutten All Round Workout (Half hour routine incorporating pushups, situps, lunges, jumping squats, shadow boxing, knee lifts. Youtube it, it's a killer.
Saturday
  • Boxing and sprints
Sunday
  • Day off, maybe golf :D
So hopefully I should be able to shed a few pounds provided I can eat well and reduce the beer drinking, very hard when the footy is on.

Be interested to hear what routines you undertake.

Cheers

Dogs Of War

Coach
How long have you been doing that? Seems quite a bit to chew off if you are just starting out again. You would have more luck building up to all that over the next 2 months.

Anyway, I am a similar size to you. I do 2 days with a personal trainer (wed/sat), and 2 days on the pushbike riding around Homebush (around 25Km ride)(Thur/Sun), I try to get in an extra ride if I have the time.

Red Bear

Referee
Its summer so I'm on my bike a couple of days a week and i go for between 25 - 60km rides (1-3 hrs) I also go to the pool at least once a week and knock off 20 lengths. Running i hate, so i haven't started yet this year but i'll work up to a couple of 5km runs a week. I'm planning on doing a couple of half tri's in March (500m swim, 20kmbike, 5km run) and a longer distance bike (100km) in April.
Being a kiwi have you ridden in le race?

Garts

Bench
Try and get to the pool just after lunch 2 or 3 days per week and do about 20 to 22 laps. Run for about 25 to 30 mins 5 days per week. Plus the odd walk thrown in. I try and play 9 holes of golf once a week but thats not really much exercise.

I need to get back on the bike. I have a wind trainer but they bore the sh!t out of me.

Snoochies

First Grade
I was weight training last year 3 times a week but lacked the cardio. I'm not a big fan of running and lost motivation very quickly, but I love hitting the bag, so even though it's cardio I actually enjoy the activity. I have only recently bought a new bag and am loving it.

Good job with the riding, another activity I haven't been able to get into. How long have you been doing that for?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm training to get in shape for League season. Last time I played was 08, under 19s, was too small and not particularly fit or strong. Next year I want to play u21s or A reserves.

Gym 3-4 times a week. I bench twice a week, squat once a week, bicep curl once or twice a week, and do a range of db and machine stuff including back and shoulders. Stomach and a short run most days.

In approx a year i've gone from 66kg to 71kg, bicep curl has gone from 12.5kg to 20kg, bench from 50kg to 75kg, squat i forget where i started off the top of my head but im currently on 110kg. Looking forward to footy season...

JoeD

First Grade
Being a kiwi have you ridden in le race?
No its a bit far away but it looks like a good one.

This is the one i do http://www.100kflyer.co.nz/

Me at about the 95km mark - clearly delirious

3242_1072219963921_1178814738_30186266_6343174_n.jpg

Garts

Bench
I'm training to get in shape for League season. Last time I played was 08, under 19s, was too small and not particularly fit or strong. Next year I want to play u21s or A reserves.

Gym 3-4 times a week. I bench twice a week, squat once a week, bicep curl once or twice a week, and do a range of db and machine stuff including back and shoulders. Stomach and a short run most days.

In approx a year i've gone from 66kg to 71kg, bicep curl has gone from 12.5kg to 20kg, bench from 50kg to 75kg, squat i forget where i started off the top of my head but im currently on 110kg. Looking forward to footy season...

If I can get fit enough I am going to play rugby again after a 10 year absence. I just want to play for the social aspect of it. Wonder if my 30 year old body will be able to handle it.