What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St.George Leader - Jubilee Upgrade

R2K

Bench
Footy park gets a lift

Stage two of the OKI Jubilee Oval upgrade has moved a step closer. Kogarah Council is about to lodge a development application for the works to begin.

Stage one of the upgrade works were completed recently and included new ground lighting and seating, a new gymnasium and training field. New turnstiles were installed in English Street and landscaping work was done for Kogarah Park.

The Federal Government provided $8 million in funding for the works. Another $7 million was secured from the State Government to continue the upgrade works.

There are four major components for stage two of the upgrade.
The existing grandstand will be extended north to replace the existing temporary seating. The stadium will also be refurbished and cantilevered out towards Park Street.

New tiered seating will be built on the Jubilee Avenue hill. The upgrade will include a museum for the St.George Leagues Club.

There will be community rooms, a function room, new changing rooms and a lift.

St.George Leader - 26/10/2006

That's not a very precisely written article. "The stadium will also be refurbished and cantilevered out towards Park Street." is especially unclear. I assume by "stadium" they actually mean "the existing stand" but why and how exaclty they would cantilever the existing stand has me lost.

Strange that the article doesn't seem to mention the southern extension of the grandstand (i.e. over Stoney's slab). I guess we'll just have to wait and see the DA.

R2K

Bench
It is an odd article - no name to it either. I changed a couple of things as it said $8 million from the State and "...the existing stadium will be extended north to replace the existing temporary seating."

That's quite a useful summary.

Highlights:

There are four major components comprising the Stage 2 upgrade:
i) Extend existing stadium north, to replace existing temporary seating.
ii) Extend existing stadium south across existing ‘Legends slab’.
iii) Refurbish existing stadium and cantilever out towards Park Street.
iv) Construct new tiered seating on Jubilee Avenue hill to match existing.

The upgrade will include the following:
a. Museum for the St George club.
b. Rooms available for community use.
c. New corporate facilities and function room with views of the ground.
d. Possibility of the football club administration relocating to the ground.
e. New change rooms and associated facilities.
f. Lift access to upper levels.
g. Architecturally designed façade for rear of stadium facing Park Street.

Architects Tony Owen & Associates Pty Ltd has completed concept plans in conjunction with the Project Managers, Globe Group Pty Ltd. The Steering Committee and sub-group have overseen the development of the concept plans thusfar. The Architects gave a presentation on the final concepts and ‘fly-through’ to the Steering Committee on Monday 16 October 2006.

Timetable is interesting. I take it (I think R2K might've said it over at WORL) that they have no set timetable at the moment. I get the impression that they have no plans to undertake work in this off season. They're obviously still at the planning phase, albeit towards the end of the process. There's still the DA process to go which will in all likelihood take at least another couple of months which puts us into January before any earth is moved.

Someone at another forum mooted the idea of having the Kogarah games early this coming season (a reversal of the last couple of years) and starting work mid-way through the year in order to have everything done for season 2008. This appeals to me although obviously it'd be painful to have yet another compromised year at Kogarah. I just hope a potential change of government doesn't leave us minus the money promised to us.

R2K

Bench
Cheesie, I think that was me on Buzz Boy's site.

In relation to the $, Cherie Burton's Office stated that the funds have already been paid.