What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Question

Hawkins

Juniors
Dear St George

I am trying to work out why your club is called St George.

Forget Illawarra (god knows you have) but the Eels club is in Parramatta, Warriors New Zealand, Townsville is a part of North Queensland and Sydney Olympic Park is tots in South Sydney lol.

But New South Wales doesn't have a suburb called St George and in all seriousness I was wondering where you got your name?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dear St George

I am trying to work out why your club is called St George.

Forget Illawarra (god knows you have) but the Eels club is in Parramatta, Warriors New Zealand, Townsville is a part of North Queensland and Sydney Olympic Park is tots in South Sydney lol.

But New South Wales doesn't have a suburb called St George and in all seriousness I was wondering where you got your name?

Just to throw one back to you Hawkins, why are you guys called the "Raiders" and why you have a Viking as your club nickname? I mean my history is a little vague but I can't recall any Vikings landing in Canberra.

_Johnsy

Referee
Just to throw one back to you Hawkins, why are you guys called the "Raiders" and why you have a Viking as your club nickname? I mean my history is a little vague but I can't recall any Vikings landing in Canberra.
My wife grew up in Canberra, she said a very very early sheep farmer named his property Woden the Norse god of war & patron of learning (She reckons in the 1830's). It took up a massive chunk of the land in the Woden Valley, before Canberra was Canberra. They obviously named the Woden Valley after his property name, and that link has stayed to this day.

Not sure about the accuracy of the above.

Father Ted

First Grade

The Vikings never made the southern hemisphere , didn't wear horned helmets. and certainly wouldn't have supported a team called Canberra.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Maybe referring to the politicians of Parliament house. ................. they've raided and bled everything dry over the past couple of hundred years.

Slackboy72

Coach
It's a strange one as the raiders originated over the border in Queanbeyan (the city of champions apparently).
They had nothing to do with the Woden valley or the Tuggeranong Vikings (the rugby club that ate the world).
I strongly suspect they jut thought it sounded cool.

Old Timer

Coach
Establishment[edit]
In 1981, the New South Wales Rugby Football League (NSWRFL) decided to expand the number of teams in its Sydney-based premiership for the first time since the 1960s. This time it would venture further out into the state of New South Wales by introducing two teams from outside Sydney. The Canberra franchise was accepted as the 14th team to compete in the NSWRFL premiership for the 1982 season, beating bids from Campbelltown, Newcastle and the Central Coast. They were admitted along with the Illawarra Steelers, of Wollongong. Thus the Canberra club, being in the Australian Capital Territory, was the first team ever from an Australian state other than New South Wales to compete in the premiership.

The initially unnamed team decided to adopt the name "Raiders", which was coined by the media in reference to the team being the first based outside Sydney since the old Newcastle team left the League in 1909.

Establishment[edit]
In 1981, the New South Wales Rugby Football League (NSWRFL) decided to expand the number of teams in its Sydney-based premiership for the first time since the 1960s. This time it would venture further out into the state of New South Wales by introducing two teams from outside Sydney. The Canberra franchise was accepted as the 14th team to compete in the NSWRFL premiership for the 1982 season, beating bids from Campbelltown, Newcastle and the Central Coast. They were admitted along with the Illawarra Steelers, of Wollongong. Thus the Canberra club, being in the Australian Capital Territory, was the first team ever from an Australian state other than New South Wales to compete in the premiership.

The initially unnamed team decided to adopt the name "Raiders", which was coined by the media in reference to the team being the first based outside Sydney since the old Newcastle team left the League in 1909.

Yup.

100% that they were coming to raid the Sydney league.

Just as the Steelers were coming to steal the Sydney league. Obviously that one's a double play on words with the steel industry in full swing in the early 80s.