What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Question

grouch

First Grade
Thanks guys, normally people just tell me to go to hell on this forum. You are all very helpful.

Go the Dragons!
This might blow your mind:

Forest Rd, which runs through much of the St George district, when it was first built was called Illawarra Rd. So from about the mid-18th century onwards, the area was known as the "Illawarra Suburbs". This still lives on in the Illawarra Suburbs Lawn Tennis Association - based in Rockdale! So, in the early decades, the St George rugby league team were often referred to as the Illawarra men, or Illawarraites

BringTheNoise

Juniors

Forest Rd, which runs through much of the St George district, when it was first built was called Illawarra Rd. So from about the mid-18th century onwards, the area was known as the "Illawarra Suburbs". This still lives on in the Illawarra Suburbs Lawn Tennis Association - based in Rockdale! So, in the early decades, the St George rugby league team were often referred to as the Illawarra men, or Illawarraites

It's almost as if the merger between 2 clubs was fulfilling a prophecy.

Old Timer

Coach

Forest Road
In 1839 a dam was constructed on the Cooks River at Tempe with a roadway on top of it, thus providing a direct route to Sydney. In 1843 Mitchells Line of Road to the Illawarra was cut through the forest, and today is known as Forest Road. A hand winched punt was established at Lugarno, and the road carried over the Woronora River, opening up a settlement at Bottle Forest, now know as Heathcote. The road did not generate much traffic as it was only suitable for travellers on horseback from Woronora to Wollongong, and no suitable descent to Wollongong was made, however the road was important in opening the Hurstville district up to settlement.

LINK: http://www.hurstville.nsw.gov.au/preview.aspx?PageID=179

Hawkins

Juniors
Just to throw one back to you Hawkins, why are you guys called the "Raiders" and why you have a Viking as your club nickname? I mean my history is a little vague but I can't recall any Vikings landing in Canberra.

Well as near as I can tell in 1982 the club joined the league. In late 2016 two weeks before the finals that we hadn't made since 2012 someone in marketing came up with a Viking Clap, then we all agreed to pretend that we'd been clapping like that since the 1982 and since its the Viking Clap = Raiders.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well as near as I can tell in 1982 the club joined the league. In late 2016 two weeks before the finals that we hadn't made since 2012 someone in marketing came up with a Viking Clap, then we all agreed to pretend that we'd been clapping like that since the 1982 and since its the Viking Clap = Raiders.
They pinched the viking clap from soccer fans in Iceland.

I'm guessing the Icelandic Vikings do it better.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

I think you mean the mid 19th century. Mid 18th century was pre-invasion.

Back in the 1800s it was a timber getting area. And you're quite right about it being referred to as Illawarra. It seems that everything south of the Cooks River was called Illawarra. There's strong evidence of this in street names in Arncliffe (eg Wollongong Rd) and in Marrickvlle there's Illawarra Road which leads down to the river.

The Parish of St George was becoming densely populated in the early 20th century and the district was simply known as St George, and that naturally became the name of the football team. I've only ever been able to find one written reference to the team nickname 'the Illawarraites' - if it's true then the name didn't stick and the 'Saints' nickname simply rolled off the tongue better.

But there's enough there with the history of the area to support the notion that the new Rugby League club could have been called Illawarra. And if that happened, everything would have been very different indeed.

One thing we do know is the St George club has had strong ties with Rugby League in the Illawarra, dating back to the early days of the NSWRL. Perhaps it's a coincidence but the Illawarra RL comp began in 1911, the same year that St George juniors were formed and the district starting competing in the NSWRL third grade competition.

OurRedV

Juniors

So, no vikings in Canberra?

Divine

Bench
No significant artefacts have been found since 1994. They've have survived however while other species such as the North Sydney Bears and the Gold Coast Giants are now extinct.
The oldest Viking relic was unearthed in 1989.
f27ck7.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
Did that just actually happen.

Old Timer

Coach
No so Hawkins been around a long time I fear

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
images
Not sure what you blokes are talking about but st George is a fine cotton growing area in south western qld. Plenty of pigs and cold beer. :p

St George in Queensland no doubt has cold beer but the beer that Kogarah Hotel used to serve was known for being the coldest on tap.

On a hot summers day, the first schooner wouldn't touch the sides but by the end on the second schooner, your nose had frostbite!

I wonder if it's still as cold nowadays?