What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STATE OF ORIGIN 2 GAME DAY

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Wow, Benny Hunt had a shocker and will most probably be dropped. This could either way for us as at least he will be fresh and wanting to prove people wrong but confidence will have to be down. Up the blues, well played and such a gutsy effort to hang in a man down. Massive efforts by Frizz and JDB there to assist them and Vaughan didnt let anyone down from the bench.

Dragsters

First Grade
I was saying that DeBelin was made for origin a few years ago. I am very happy that he finally got the opportunity to prove me and himself right. DeBelin is one of my favourite players. When he first entered first grade, I said that I thought he was our best forward prospect that had come through our system since Tallis. He very well could be than now too.

Dead right mate but i reckon you're not Robinson Caruso in thinking JDB was something special early on and should have been picked in origin a few years back.

I just as excited by the blues winning the series as i am about what this could do for JDB, Friz and Vaughan's confidence and self belief for the rest of the year in the red V...

The Damo

Juniors
THAT. WAS. GODDAMN. EPIC!
Fantastic match on both sides. Anytime you hear a Queenslander talking about heart or guts or wanting it more or not giving up - point to this game and tell them to blow it out their arse.
Down on possession and field position all game, plenty of harsh calls, last ten minutes down to 12, and they scrambled, and fought and got belted and got back up and belted back and f**king won motherf**kers!

Dragon for life

Juniors
So now it’s 2/0
Best of 3 no need to play again
It’s disruptive enough without a dead rubber save any chance of injuries
And well done NSW !!
Well done Freddy for selecting Dragons pack
No Rocket, 3-0 will ease a little bit of pain for the last decade.

Don’t celebrate to hard boys and bury them in Brisbane. Nothing better than seeing Inglis with a sour taste in his mouth. Hope it continues for a loooooong time.

The Damo

Juniors
Dead right mate but i reckon you're not Robinson Caruso in thinking JDB was something special early on and should have been picked in origin a few years back.

I just as excited by the blues winning the series as i am about what this could do for JDB, Friz and Vaughan's confidence and self belief for the rest of the year in the red V...
Yep, damn right he’s made for it. Shame nsw coach and selectors have been such useless tools for so long. But it’s a new era now.
Hail Fittler. Long may he reign.

Frank Facer

First Grade

I thought that Price mismanaged DeBelin's career early on. I thought DeBelin should have been our starting lock from early in his career, with Merrin put back to prop. Looks like I have been proven right on both counts.

I too hope that our players, including Hunt come back from origin more confident and better players. I think they will.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Yep, damn right he’s made for it. Shame nsw coach and selectors have been such useless tools for so long. But it’s a new era now.
Hail Fittler. Long may he reign.

Daley was stuck in the groove with his favourites for far too long.
Grub Gallen was a millstone for far too long.
Shows what youth, rejuvenation & a bit of selection imagination can do.
Hope our guys came thru OK?

The Damo

Juniors
There needs to be a high level of certainty in awarding a penalty try. Just because Cordner would have gotten to the ball first doesn't mean he would have scored (with the high degree of certainty required).

Genuinely gobsmacked.

Straight Shooter
You know you’re very dear to me OV, and I hold you in high esteem. But this sort of thing is why you stick to slagging off the coach and admin. Because you are wrong about this. In fact you could win the annual Mr Wrong competition you’re so wrong. Barring an opposition player shooting someone with the ball over the try line, that is as clear a case for a penalty try as you will ever see. If you need a higher degree of certainty than that, then it might as well not even be in the rule book.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Daley was stuck in the groove with his favourites for far too long.
Grub Gallen was a millstone for far too long.
Shows what youth, rejuvenation & a bit of selection imagination can do.
Hope our guys came thru OK?
Yep, NSW selectors have been getting it wrong for so long. They got it right this year and won the series. Maybe Freddy Fittler isn't Blind Freddy after all. He was when he was found crashed out in front of a police station many years ago.

There needs to be a high level of certainty in awarding a penalty try. Just because Cordner would have gotten to the ball first doesn't mean he would have scored (with the high degree of certainty required).

Genuinely gobsmacked.

Straight Shooter
Yeah, Cordner would have got to the ball, but it was a long way away and nobody could say for certain he would have scored, no way a penalty try.
But then again it was awarded, so why wasn't the sin bin used?

It's amazing what happens when you pick players who are in form and playing well.

On that note, Tom T should not have been picked, sure he's a special player, but he's a fullback, not a winger as his defence proved tonight.
Pick the best winger to play on the wing, not the second best fullback.

Cordner was the only player not picked on from, but he stepped up.

Old Timer

Coach
You know you’re very dear to me OV, and I hold you in high esteem. But this sort of thing is why you stick to slagging off the coach and admin. Because you are wrong about this. In fact you could win the annual Mr Wrong competition you’re so wrong. Barring an opposition player shooting someone with the ball over the try line, that is as clear a case for a penalty try as you will ever see. If you need a higher degree of certainty than that, then it might as well not even be in the rule book.
If the ball was on the ground and not moving and you only had to fall on it then certainly a penalty try but with it still bouncing the margin for error increases and the certainty of the outcome diminishes so IMO a penalty and a sin bin was the correct outcome.
There are plenty of players that become bumble fingered in moments of pressure and if it had of been 1 of the Morris twins early on in their careers they would have tripped over, knocked it on or kicked dead as they had hands like feet.

The Damo

Juniors
If the ball was on the ground and not moving and you only had to fall on it then certainly a penalty try but with it still bouncing the margin for error increases and the certainty of the outcome diminishes so IMO a penalty and a sin bin was the correct outcome.
There are plenty of players that become bumble fingered in moments of pressure and if it had of been 1 of the Morris twins early on in their careers they would have tripped over, knocked it on or kicked dead as they had hands like feet.
I get what you’re saying, but honestly think that if that’s the standard - ball lying still in goal, no opponent nearby - then there’s no point having the rule at all. He was onside. He would have reached the ball well before anyone else, he had so much space he could’ve slowed to a mild jog to catch it and put it down with time to spare. Even In cases of foul play like the famous incident in 99, maybe the player (forgotten who it was) would’ve dropped the ball anyway even if ainscough didn’t hit them in the head.