What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STATE OF ORIGIN 2 GAME DAY

possm

Coach
The extra shot shot at goal in 99 was due to foul play not for a professional foul.
Deliberate foul play in the act of a try being scored can end up with a penalty from in front after the conversion attempt but it is at the refs discretion (Harrgan loved making the news)
Interesting if not a penalty try tonight Hunt gets binned but as it was a try not binned that does seem strange.

Hard to believe it was a deliberate head high tackle; most likely an accidental head high tackle. A last ditch tackle to save a try that ended up high. Should never have been an eight point try.

BennyV

Referee
If the ball was on the ground and not moving and you only had to fall on it then certainly a penalty try but with it still bouncing the margin for error increases and the certainty of the outcome diminishes so IMO a penalty and a sin bin was the correct outcome.
There are plenty of players that become bumble fingered in moments of pressure and if it had of been 1 of the Morris twins early on in their careers they would have tripped over, knocked it on or kicked dead as they had hands like feet.
That was a textbook penalty try any day of the week.

There is no such thing as certainty (even if the ball wasn’t moving). Cordner could have fumbled the ball. He could have done an ACL 2m out and never got there. Or Chambers could have reached super-human levels of speed and whizzed past Cordner, clocking 70+ km/hr speed to knock the ball dead.

In reality, when you consider he had more than a 5m start over the next closest player, who was comfortably able to catch the ball well inside the dead ball line, then it’s safe to say that the interference didn’t prevent a try scoring opportunity, it prevented a try. And that’s what the rule is there for. The difference with the Roberts incident is that Turbo was close enough to create a reasonable level of doubt that there would have been a contest for the ball.

st penguin

Juniors
If the ball was on the ground and not moving and you only had to fall on it then certainly a penalty try but with it still bouncing the margin for error increases and the certainty of the outcome diminishes so IMO a penalty and a sin bin was the correct outcome.
There are plenty of players that become bumble fingered in moments of pressure and if it had of been 1 of the Morris twins early on in their careers they would have tripped over, knocked it on or kicked dead as they had hands like feet.

If the ball was bobbling along the ground I would agree with you. But if you look at the replay, it takes such a nice favourable bounce - even I could have scored!

Sterlo makes the same point when Gould stops talking for a moment.

BennyV

Referee
If the ball was bobbling along the ground I would agree with you. But if you look at the replay, it takes such a nice favourable bounce - even I could have scored!

Sterlo makes the same point when Gould stops talking for a moment.
Must have missed that part...

Mark D

Juniors
I probably sound bias but I honestly thought JDB was the best forward on ground ... his defence was out standing real Trevor Gillmeister / David Gillespie stuff on show.... Hunt unfortunately went missing which he has over the last month for the Dragons with some very up and off form... needs a big game against Parra for his confidence

Frank Facer

First Grade
It's amazing what happens when you pick players who are in form and playing well.

On that note, Tom T should not have been picked, sure he's a special player, but he's a fullback, not a winger as his defence proved tonight.
Pick the best winger to play on the wing, not the second best fullback.

Cordner was the only player not picked on from, but he stepped up.
Tom T should have been picked at center and Roberts on the wing.

giboz71

First Grade
Daley was stuck in the groove with his favourites for far too long.
Grub Gallen was a millstone for far too long.
Shows what youth, rejuvenation & a bit of selection imagination can do.
Hope our guys came thru OK?

100%

Pick footy players, and not cyborgs with no skills who can only execute game plans. Gallen, Farah, Woods, Pearce, Jackson, Dugan and co.

The no dickhead factor also helped, and made them a lot easier to support (especially with the Dragons players!).

Didn’t have the stomach to support the other guys in years gone by even though I hate QLD.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Hard to believe it was a deliberate head high tackle; most likely an accidental head high tackle. A last ditch tackle to save a try that ended up high. Should never have been an eight point try.[/QUOTE
I hate any reminder or mention of what happened right in front of me in 1999, it was the pits for a mad dragon fan...worst trip home ever!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I probably sound bias but I honestly thought JDB was the best forward on ground ... his defence was out standing real Trevor Gillmeister / David Gillespie stuff on show.... Hunt unfortunately went missing which he has over the last month for the Dragons with some very up and off form... needs a big game against Parra for his confidence

Yes, JBD was solid but l thought Maloney was in everything.
He was my MoM.

3 - Maloney
2 - JBD
1 - Hunt ........ for us.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes, JBD was solid but l thought Maloney was in everything.
He was my MoM.

3 - Maloney
2 - JBD
1 - Hunt ........ for us.
Several in the Qld side that were good for us but Hunt wasn't at the top pf that list by any stretch and in fact quite poor of you to insinuate so.
Hunt had a couple of mistakes but did plenty of good stuff too and not his fault the play went to the ball hogs in Slater and Munster.
Their coaching and captaincy had far more to do with our win than Hunt.

Old Timer

Coach
Tom T should have been picked at center and Roberts on the wing.
If he isn't the best FB then he gets a bench spot at best.
The notion of playing players out of position in rep games when everyone is fit is simply ridiculous and it almost proved very costly last night.
QLD just not consistent enough to exploit the weakness but I truly believe even if just Smith had of played there would be plenty of regrets re TT this morning.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Several in the Qld side that were good for us but Hunt wasn't at the top pf that list by any stretch and in fact quite poor of you to insinuate so.
Hunt had a couple of mistakes but did plenty of good stuff too and not his fault the play went to the ball hogs in Slater and Munster.

I agree with the coaching side of things.
To me and likewise from the commentary team, Hunt started off strongly but he slid from their on.
As mentioned, sometimes things work out, sometime not.
Hunt has bigger fish to fry with us.
If we were to make the GF, it would be interesting how he handles the occasion.
I'm hoping he can put it behind him and shine for us.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If he isn't the best FB then he gets a bench spot at best.
The notion of playing players out of position in rep games when everyone is fit is simply ridiculous and it almost proved very costly last night.
QLD just not consistent enough to exploit the weakness but I truly believe even if just Smith had of played there would be plenty of regrets re TT this morning.
With Teddy at fullback, I think Mitchell and Tom T are our best centres. Tom has previously played centre for Manly and played very well there. I don't think that Roberts sets up his winger good enough, but I would like to have his speed on the wing instead.

I would be very happy if we had Tom T centre for St George.

The Damo

Juniors
Yes I agree. He mad a bad call with the kick that went dead, but he was pretty solid with limited opportunities otherwise.

hazzbeen

Bench
It looked like to me that Munster was taking and calling most of the shots in the second half . Not sure if it was a coaches call or not or it was just the way it happened .....

ouryears

Bench
THAT. WAS. GODDAMN. EPIC!
Fantastic match on both sides. Anytime you hear a Queenslander talking about heart or guts or wanting it more or not giving up - point to this game and tell them to blow it out their arse.
Down on possession and field position all game, plenty of harsh calls, last ten minutes down to 12, and they scrambled, and fought and got belted and got back up and belted back and f**king won motherf**kers!
Once QLD select a new number 7 that delivers on the night, NSW won't get close in Brisbane, and I am NSW!

They got beat by 4, should have won by 14 plus had Hunt delivered.

Ponga into the halves, goodnight NSW.

You won't agree, time will tell.

I am happy to go on record and say QLD by 20 up there IF they drop Hunt.

Once QLD select a new number 7 that delivers on the night, NSW won't get close in Brisbane, and I am NSW!

They got beat by 4, should have won by 14 plus had Hunt delivered.

Ponga into the halves, goodnight NSW.

You won't agree, time will tell.

I am happy to go on record and say QLD by 20 up there IF they drop Hunt.
So Hunts been great for us all year, has a game with a couple of mistakes and now he's rubbish?