What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Statement from the RLIF Board meeting - March 28th 2017

thorson1987

Coach
http://www.rlif.com/article/8247/statement-fr

At its meeting on 28 March 2017 the RLIF Board made substantive progress to broaden and strengthen International Rugby League.

RLIF Emerging Nations World Championship

In support of the RLIF strategic plan ‘Global Conversion’ the Board determined to support an Emerging Nations World Championship in 2018. Each team will be required to be entered by the RLIF Member Nation and will be required to meet the RLIF eligibility regulations. The RLIF determined that a measure of success for the event and RLIF’s investment of $100,000 will be the legacy provided by players returning to their home nation to expand and further develop the sport. In addition to the Emerging Nations World Championship expressions of interest had been received by RLIF from regions to compete in their own competition. Whilst being unable to financially support such a competition the RLIF Board endorsed up to four regions participating in a parallel competition.

RLIF Rugby League World Cup 2021 Qualification

In respect of the qualification process for the RLIF Rugby League World Cup 2021 it was agreed that this would be a 16 -team tournament. Seven teams will be qualified from Europe, 6 from Asia Pacific , 2 from the Americas and one from a play-off series hosted in Middle East/Africa . The Quarter-Finalists in the 2017 RLIF Rugby League World Cup will qualify as of right.

Should 6 teams not pre-qualify via the RLIF RLWC17 Quarter-Finals from Asia-Pacific then the 16th place will be awarded to Middle East/Africa.

Should 6 teams pre-qualify via the Quarter-Finals from Asia-Pacific in 2017 and Lebanon do not qualify via the Quarter- Finals in 2017 then the 16th place will be determined by a play-off hosted in Middle East/Africa between the Middle East/Africa Champions and the 7th placed nation in Asia-Pacific.

Should 6 teams pre-qualify via the Quarter- Finals from Asia Pacific and Lebanon qualify via the Quarter Finals in 2017 that a play-off be held hosted by Middle East/Africa between the highest placed team in Middle/East Africa excluding Lebanon, the 3rd placed team in the Americas and the 7th placed team in Asia-Pacific.

RLIF Chairman Nigel Wood commented;

“The Board were mindful that every nation should have an opportunity to participate in a qualification process for the RLIF Rugby League World Cup in 2021. This solution provides every nation with that opportunity whilst rewarding success for eight of our Members who reach the Quarter-Finals of the 2017 RLIF Rugby League World Cup.”

FIRL (Italy)

The RLIF Board received a report that FIRL (Italy) had now fully complied with all criteria regarding RLIF Full Membership and therefore the RLIF Board now recommends to the Members at the AGM that Italy become a Full Member of RLIF.

Nigel Wood commented;

“Italy has demonstrated through its development programmes as well as its success in qualifying for the 2017 World Cup that the nation fully merits becoming a Full Member of RLIF. The Board will make the required recommendation to the Members at our next AGM and we warmly congratulate the Officers of FIRL”

The International Calendar

Substantive progress was made with the International Calendar.

RLIF Chairman Nigel Wood commented:

“This meeting received the Tier One Nations proposed programme for the next four-year cycle together with the RLF Global Events. The RLIF Chief Executive David Collier will now work with our Continental Federations and our International Competition Group chaired by Graeme Thompson to bring forward proposals to our 9 May Board meeting concerning complementary Continental competitions and matches to expand Tier Two and Tier Three Nation international fixtures.

Whilst the detail of the matches will not be finalised until the Autumn RLIF is delighted to have identified a full programme for the next four-year cycle to enable the completion of the International Calendar.”

The Board agreed that in 2019 the November tours by England to Australia and New Zealand should be complemented by an RLIF Nines World Cup. Expressions of interest to host the RLIF Nines World Cup have been received and a full report will be made to the 9 May Board meeting. Following an evaluation of the 2019 RLIF Nines World Cup the Board will review whether the 2023 RLIF Global Event should be a Nines World Cup or a 13 a side event.

RLIF Board meeting summary

Nigel Wood summarised the meeting:

“This has been an historic meeting for RLIF. Detailed discussions concerning the International Calendar have been progressing for more than a year. Today we have progressed those discussions, made substantive progress with the Calendar and supported all levels of our Membership. Further detail will be discussed at our May Board meeting in Sydney when we look forward to detailing the breadth of international rugby league being played throughout our 68 member nations”.

Ends

Contact detail media@rlif.com

The best bit of the lot is that two American teams will make the WC for the first time from my point of view. And the possibility of a third depending on results.

Burns

First Grade
Beat me to it! Lock my thread pls mods.

So what are the Big Three doing in 2018??

roughyedspud

Coach
I hope the 2023 global event isn't changed from the IC cup to 9s!

You can't swap 8 team,month long comp with a weekend,2 day, chuck about!

It's like England & Australia saying the cricket ashes won't play 5 tests later this year,we'll play three 20/20s on Friday,Saturday & sunday for the urn!

The RLIF need to use 9s as a extra event! Not a replacement event!,they can have 3 global events,the world cup,IC cup & world 9s

adamkungl

Immortal
Not bad. Finally we hear some good news!

Summary of what we know and some things we can guess at:

2018 - ENWC. Looks like Combined Regional teams will be excluded from the tournament main but will play their own mini comp.
Presumably Australia will take the year off because Cam Smith is too tired. England v NZ is a possibility based on past?

2019 - Nines WC + England touring down under - Good. I'd have hoped for a 4N replacement in this slot with England touring in 2020 but hey I'll take it.

2020 - Qualifiers - not quite the format i'd go with but I'm glad that there actually is a format I guess.
No idea what the big 3 are doing here?

2021 - England WC

2022 - ??? I'd play the ENWCs and 9s WCs in this slot every 4 years.

2023 - RLIF event - I'd for for a 6 or 8N proper not a 9s comp. See above.

2024 - ??? Likely Aus tour England, if we're extrapolating

2025 - USA-Canada WC

Scubby

Juniors
I hope the 2023 global event isn't changed from the IC cup to 9s!

You can't swap 8 team,month long comp with a weekend,2 day, chuck about!

It's like England & Australia saying the cricket ashes won't play 5 tests later this year,we'll play three 20/20s on Friday,Saturday & sunday for the urn!

The RLIF need to use 9s as a extra event! Not a replacement event!,they can have 3 global events,the world cup,IC cup & world 9s

I like the idea of a 9s WC at the end of (or during) an England tour in 2019. This could be in Perth or the SFS and would be a massive hit IMO.

Someone is deliberately trying to scupper this 8-team Intercontinental Cup. My guess it is one of the big 3. If Australia don't want to be in it - stuff them. An 8-team comp with something like USA, Eng, Fra, NZ, Sam, Tong, PNG, lebanese would still be pretty awesome.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also would like to see an annual 9s circuit complementing a WC.
A sport played once every 4 years aint gonna be making the Commonwealth Games any time soon.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The Board agreed that in 2019 the November tours by England to Australia and New Zealand should be complemented by an RLIF Nines World Cup. Expressions of interest to host the RLIF Nines World Cup have been received and a full report will be made to the 9 May Board meeting. Following an evaluation of the 2019 RLIF Nines World Cup the Board will review whether the 2023 RLIF Global Event should be a Nines World Cup or a 13 a side event.

Wooh!!!!! I reckon this will be a massive success. I just hope the are ambitious with the location; this isnt like a WC where you are advertising across a whole country for games across 6 weeks, this is one weekend in one location.

Id personally either go with South Africa or Asia (South China immediately comes to mind, but Japan/Indonesia/India would have some potential as well)

roughyedspud

Coach
I'm steadfast on the 9s being pre season..

Let's test the water in Feb 2019 and then from 2022 host it every two years,then that means the RLIF have a event every year

2021 RLWC
2022 RLIF 9s
2023 IC cup
2024 RLIF 9
2025 RLWC

repeat

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Also would like to see an annual 9s circuit complementing a WC.
A sport played once every 4 years aint gonna be making the Commonwealth Games any time soon.

Or at least every second year either side of the RLWC

It would end up being the break year for most top players and i think the comp would be fine with a some emerging talent mixed in rather than just the very best...

Edit:
2021 RLWC
2022 RLIF 9s
2023 IC cup
2024 RLIF 9
2025 RLWC

repeat

Yeh, this...

roughyedspud

Coach
Someone is deliberately trying to scupper this 8-team Intercontinental Cup. My guess it is one of the big 3...

This...Someone shot the 2019 IC cup down last November at the RLIF Congress....And i can't see England or the kiwis not wanting it.

morningstar

Juniors
It's easy to point fingers, but the ARL have the most to lose if 2019 is an RLIF event.

Think they realised giving the players 2018 off meant they wouldnt be able to cream the profits from a tournament/series again until 2020!

roughyedspud

Coach
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/nigel-wood-qa-rfl-chief-10114467

Nigel Wood references the calendar talks here, and voices support for the Great Britain touring concept.
Guess it's not a Mascord fantasy after all. Nigel being the head of both the RLIF and RFL, this seems likely to happen. Put an asterix on that England tour, every chance it could be a GB tour.

Don't really see the point myself.

Notice how it says he'll discuss it with just wales & scotland....Not Ireland,that's cos Ireland said it wants nothing to do with GB,it wants to be its own stand alone test team...Now...What's in it for Wales & Scotland? Their best players are Australian and Danny brought will be 37..

Having a GB team littered with Aussies is as pointless as a GB team full of Englishmen.

I really wish this stupid idea will die once and for all