What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney new Warriors Coach

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Given the slim pickings in the market I'm happy with that.

Yeah not much on the Market - Greg Eastwood would be the only forward I can see that I would really be interested in.

Again though, with RTS fit and Sipley + Afoa playing a bigger role next year, as well as Ligi Sao floating about, with Foran we potentially have 4-5 players different to the team that was playing this year. We don't really need any more players imo.

What I am concerned with though, is those off contract next year. We have Foran, SJ, Fusitua, Vete, Sipley, Roache, Thompson, Hingano, Hoffman,Matulino, and Lillyman all off contract. The ones in bold will all potentially need upgrades to stay, and I really can't see where we would get the money from. Can see us losing out on Roache, Thompson and Lillyman

Cold Roses

Juniors
What I am concerned with though, is those off contract next year. We have Foran, SJ, Fusitua, Vete, Sipley, Roache, Thompson, Hingano, Hoffman,Matulino, and Lillyman all off contract. The ones in bold will all potentially need upgrades to stay, and I really can't see where we would get the money from

Hoffman, Lillyman, Vatuvei. That's a fair chunk of cash to do some upgrades and get in the market for two new forwards.

Foran won't stay beyond next year. Add that to the previous three and we're looking just fine.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Hoffman, Lillyman, Vatuvei. That's a fair chunk of cash to do some upgrades and get in the market for two new forwards.

Foran won't stay beyond next year. Add that to the previous three and we're looking just fine.

Realistically, I think we'll probably keep Hoffman for one more year. Manu's contracted til the end of 2018 too so I think we'll be paying for both of them until the end of 2018.
While we probably won't keep Foran, if there is a possibility of him to stay I'm sure we'll be doing our best to keep him beyond 2017.
I guess time will tell. Something's gotta give though

Big Marn

Juniors
I think Kearney should definitely invest in a quality mental skills coach after listening to Shaun Johnson on Radio Sport.
They were discussing the Grand Final and Johnson mentioned how it would have been a huge psychological blow to the Storm when they had 4 sets down on the Sharks end for no reward then Sharks came up the field and then on the back of a penalty scored soon after. Shouldnt the Storm just have strengthened their resolve when that happened (which they did, cause they're a good side) rather than be mentally shot, which is what Johnson suggested should happen.
Yes,they did lose, but they almost won the game in the last 10 seconds of the game because they kept trying to the last whistle, whereas a Warriors side folds and gives up 20points in the last 20mins of a game because they give up.
I dont like hearing that sort of response from one of the leaders of the team, as what message does that send to the younger ones?

So yeah, a decent mental skills coach (better than the one they already use, if they are using one) as i think 70% of the problem at the Warriors is the top 2 inches.

Iafeta

Referee
One step at a time mate. It'd be nice if they could tackle too. Wishlist for the year=wind protected microphone and learn to tackle.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Good stuff from Kearney talking about the way they need to focus on player attitudes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few players fall by the wayside over the next 12 months if they don't respond well. I'm especially interested to see the make up of the forward pack for the opening game.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11747826

NRL: Change in attitude needed at Warriors - Kearney

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney says the player's attitudes and mental application needs to improve for the NRL club to begin consistently performing at a high level after years of underachieving.

Just weeks into the role as new head coach and a fortnight into preseason training, Kearney says it is clear that changes are needed in the wake of them missing the NRL playoffs for a fifth straight year.

The former Kiwis World Cup winning coach is looking to instill and grow a club culture that enables players and the team to perform at their peak each week with a focus on improving their mindset and mental strength.

"It's pretty obvious that there needs to be change and sometimes that change is pretty challenging for some," Kearney told Newstalk ZB"s Tony Veitch.

"But what I do know is there needs to be change and that change for the most part is from an attitude perspective.

"Part of that is building a culture which encourages the team to perform the best every time we take the field.

"The strong teams in the competition have cultures which certainly have that and it's my goal, it's my vision, to have a football club that does that."

Despite the mental side of the game being closely related to team performance, Kearney says greater emphasis is often placed on preparing players physically and improving their fitness and playing skills.

He intends on further promoting mental growth among his players through intense training that requires them to work together and respond under pressure and fatigue.

"I'm a firm believer that it is a big part of the game," he said.

"In terms of how much time we spend on the running part of it, the fitness, then we make them lift weights, and then we do tackle technique and wrestle, and very little time is spent on the mental side of the game.

"A lot of that mental development also comes from the challenging aspects of the training.

"We try and put them in a position where they don't feel real comfortable and it's a matter of them working through that process so they do respond correctly. That's a big part of mental training

"I certainly do value that part of the game and we're working closely to hopefully give the guys some awareness and skills to work through so we do exercise that part of the program."

Cold Roses

Juniors
Absolutely. A lot of what he said is pretty stock standard for a new coach starting out at a club. But likewise, he's pretty telling with some of his statements.

"It's pretty obvious that there needs to be change and sometimes that change is pretty challenging for some,"

Memory could be letting me down, but I don't recall the previous 2 guys focusing so much on mental weakness.

Seems like he's fairly certain that he knows where the problem lies, and that sacrifices are going to have to come at some point.

Can he please please please teach us to defend like Bronco's did tonight vs Storm!
Wingers held their positions, middle didn't rush up individually, worked in groups.
Took a battering from Storm at home.
Storm got some luck on last try.

Blair

Coach
Can he please please please teach us to defend like Bronco's did tonight vs Storm!
Wingers held their positions, middle didn't rush up individually, worked in groups.
Took a battering from Storm at home.
Storm got some luck on last try.

If our current coach learnt the best part of his trade at both the Storm and Broncos then why can't this happen?

Another thought I just had, instead of 3 assistant coaches, we probably need 3 sport psychologist!

On defense they are thinking as individuals not a team or groups.