What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo on the couch.....

nrlnrl

First Grade
The show struggles to offer much apart from the 1-on-1's, so much easier to just interview former players on League Legends. Channel 9 would always want to keep Sterlo for his game analysis & colour commentary, especially for SOO & Finals.

Vee

First Grade
I really like Sterlo but gee that's a boring show. Its no loss.
Agree, but think the boring aspect is more to do with the panel - Anus is just a holier-than-thou pain-in-the-ass, Parker is dull as dishwater and Blocker is just a dribbling cliche. Oh, and James "I'm the story" Hooper, please...

Sterlo's 1-on-1s are the best interviews on tv.

gallagher

Juniors
Agree, but think the boring aspect is more to do with the panel - Anus is just a holier-than-thou pain-in-the-ass, Parker is dull as dishwater and Blocker is just a dribbling cliche. Oh, and James "I'm the story" Hooper, please...

Agreed with your thoughts on the panel. The 1 on 1 interviews are interesting but I think that's because of the subject rather than anything asked by Sterlo. Very disappointed with the 1 on 1 with Ribot, he avoided asking any tough questions.

Incorrect

Coach

Hooper is THE most annoying person in broadcasting, be it TV or radio... His incessant use of nicknames when addressing people, try hard buzz phrases and rhyming slang whenever he gets asked his opinion or inside word is nauseating....

Exhibit A

Tony Squires - "So James, what are you hearing about why the Rabbits let Nathan Brown go and how has he been such a good buy for Parramatta?"
Hooper - "Look, it's my understanding Tone, that Brown was only offered minimal coin to stay at Redfern, the concern was he was a bit loosey goosey and not worth throwing big money at. The Eels, and BA in particular, thought he was worth the punt so they offered him a bit more cashola to move west"
Girdler - "Is he the best buy of the season Hoops?"
Hooper - "Oh without doubt Girds'. He's enjoying his footy and looking after himself. No more Dogs Eye and Dead Horse for lunch, he's more likely to sink his Barry Beeth in to a salad these days and the results are showing on the footy field"

Knob

Vee

First Grade
Agreed with your thoughts on the panel. The 1 on 1 interviews are interesting but I think that's because of the subject rather than anything asked by Sterlo. Very disappointed with the 1 on 1 with Ribot, he avoided asking any tough questions.
I credit Sterlo with having the cred with his interview subjects that establishes the trust that draws the interesting answers out of them. But yes, he went very soft on Ribot re SL, because he's employed by Fox who are owned by Murdoch, so... Apart from that, I thought it was a good interview.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The only other panellist I prefer on the show is Ennis. Blocker does get a bit fired which is funny at times, but it seems like he takes over the show all the time. Parker is a bit soft and boring. Hooper is just a me person.

The one-on-one interviews are good and the only thing I'll miss from the shows. Maybe we'll see them on Channel 9.

axl rose

Bench
Blocker does get a bit fired which is funny at times, but it seems like he takes over the show

Noticed that a lot, Sterlo gets a bit jaded and reins him in sometimes. Fairly well known that those two don't get along anyway.

disappointed with the 1 on 1 with Ribot, he avoided asking any tough questions.

Weak. While they want it to appear spontaneous all these interviews are heavily scripted/well rehearsed beforehand.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
Hooper is THE most annoying person in broadcasting, be it TV or radio... His incessant use of nicknames when addressing people, try hard buzz phrases and rhyming slang whenever he gets asked his opinion or inside word is nauseating....

Exhibit A

Tony Squires - "So James, what are you hearing about why the Rabbits let Nathan Brown go and how has he been such a good buy for Parramatta?"
Hooper - "Look, it's my understanding Tone, that Brown was only offered minimal coin to stay at Redfern, the concern was he was a bit loosey goosey and not worth throwing big money at. The Eels, and BA in particular, thought he was worth the punt so they offered him a bit more cashola to move west"
Hooper - "Oh without doubt Girds'. He's enjoying his footy and looking after himself. No more Dogs Eye and Dead Horse for lunch, he's more likely to sink his Barry Beeth in to a salad these days and the results are showing on the footy field"

Knob
Spot on, especially the Hooper bit. He is all about himself getting that very punchable face on TV.

I've got to say I'm going to miss Sterlo's one-on-one's, if that's the case.

Surely that segment can remain without the other turkeys. Parker really is so drab and offers nothing. Roach sucks, and the other bloke is a f**kwit too. I can cop Ennis but the rest are shit.

Sterlo's one-on-ones are really good though.

Just the other night I got an appreciation for Steve f**king Price, who came across as an intelligent, well spoken bloke. I really didn't think much of the bloke at all before this.

If the NRL are serious about developing their profile in the media, they could do a whole lot worse than let Sterlo interview our players and let the public know how our game has influenced their lives.

Then there's the older players. Some that were around before our time (Langlands, Krylich), that we all hear about but have no idea about. This is where Sterlo steps in. Then players that we were here for and love, but too young to know what was going on at the time (Mick O'Connor).

The Mat Rogers interview was great. I had no idea about this bloke and the good work he has done in the community, and it his story, and others are interesting and should be known.

On foxturd, we've got exclusive channels for Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal ffs.

NRL, start pushing our own barrow! Letting Sterlo interview past players is a drop in the ocean. The formula works.

Make it happen, Greenburg ya shitbag!

Life's Good

Coach
I wonder if this is a sign that Fox are going to be cutting back on spending??Sterlo would have to be on good money at Fox (vs. most of the others their anyway). Could end up being more reruns of sh*t and less original content.

Incorrect

Coach
I wonder if this is a sign that Fox are going to be cutting back on spending??Sterlo would have to be on good money at Fox (vs. most of the others their anyway). Could end up being more reruns of sh*t and less original content.

I've often wondered how they afford to keep as many people on the payroll as they do. Although I guess some of the callers and co-commentators would only be getting casual payments and not necessarily contracted to Fox - the likes of Buderus for example. But they've got a shedload of on air people and for a medium that doesn't make a lot of money in this country, I've wondered how much of a bath they are taking over the years....

Life's Good

Coach
I've often wondered how they afford to keep as many people on the payroll as they do. Although I guess some of the callers and co-commentators would only be getting casual payments and not necessarily contracted to Fox - the likes of Buderus for example. But they've got a shedload of on air people and for a medium that doesn't make a lot of money in this country, I've wondered how much of a bath they are taking over the years....

If they can't produce new content then I hope they increase the showing of older games. How good would it be for Fox to run a weekly/monthly poll on what games viewers want to see and provide a list of say 10 options that can be voted on. It would likely generate interest because past games is something I am sure plenty would love to see.

FlameThrower

Bench

Exhibit A

Knob
My god, what an idiot and now that u mention this rhyme slang stuff, he does the same thing on radio on Triple M!!