What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo on the Twins

themacemaceman

Juniors
(Image: Getty)

Peter Sterling has ripped into George and Tom Burgess for failing to take their careers to the next level.

Sterlo joined Triple M's NRL coverage on Saturday and was queried about the form of the Burgess twins.

He ripped into them for failing to take the next step, saying they should be "unstoppable".

"It's one of the real mysteries, that George and Tom haven't gone and hit the heights that I think we all thought they were going to after that standout season when they won the competition," he said.

"You just thought, here's a couple of young blokes that are on the rise physically, they are awesome, that confidence of winning a grand final under their belt, they're just going to go to a new level.
"It just hasn't happened."

Sterlo labelled their slump in form a "mystery".

"There may be injuries in there that are a concern, but I've seen enough of them," he said.

"I don't know what's happened, because the world was at their feet and they haven't been the type of player that I thought they would be over the last one-and-a-half seasons.

"It's a mystery as to why they don't have the impact now that they were couple of seasons ago.

"They're in their prime. They really should be in their prime...they should be unstoppable."

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't think it's a mystery at all.
They are very limited props.
They can't pass, they can't offload and they have no footwork. When you know a bloke will only run straight, won't pass and won't offload he becomes incredibly easy to defend. Yea he'll break a tackle now and again from pure strength alone but i don't think any single nrl forward will dread defending against the twins anymore.
That with their lack of endurance, when the interchange rules have forced props to have to play an extra 5-10 minutes in a stint has seen them fall back hard

themacemaceman

Juniors
They can't pass, they can't offload and they have no footwork. When you know a bloke will only run straight, won't pass and won't offload he becomes incredibly easy to defend. Yea he'll break a tackle now and again from pure strength alone but i don't think any single nrl forward will dread defending against the twins anymore.
That with their lack of endurance, when the interchange rules have forced props to have to play an extra 5-10 minutes in a stint has seen them fall back hard
I would agree with most of this except the footwork part. George's grand final Try is testament to his mobility and footwork.

Dogmatix

Juniors
The twins don't need any footwork. They just need to run it strongly and they are so big and hard to put down this will wear down the defenders by itself. If the defence needs to throw in 3 and 4 defenders every time 20 times a game for each twin it helps to win the game

George showed some promising signs vs the Dogs. He is on the road back from injury and was very poor last year. Is not back to his best yet but on Friday he was making more yards and was a handful for the defence to stop. I can see him coming good in a few weeks time

The players who should be copping most criticism are Reynolds, Walker and Johnston as Souths have had nothing in the opposition 20m zone the past month. The attack has been the big problem recently not making yards

Rsag85

Bench
The twins don't need any footwork. They just need to run it strongly and they are so big and hard to put down this will wear down the defenders by itself. If the defence needs to throw in 3 and 4 defenders every time 20 times a game for each twin it helps to win the game

George showed some promising signs vs the Dogs. He is on the road back from injury and was very poor last year. Is not back to his best yet but on Friday he was making more yards and was a handful for the defence to stop. I can see him coming good in a few weeks time

The players who should be copping most criticism are Reynolds, Walker and Johnston as Souths have had nothing in the opposition 20m zone the past month. The attack has been the big problem recently not making yards

I wouldn't put Walker on that list, he has been our best attacking weapon this year

callmack1

Staff member
George has great footwork, just look at 2013-mid 2015.

As others have said I think the twins are slowly improving but they are still not good enough. I have no idea why they dropped off so dramatically but we NEED them back on form.

CAFPOW

Juniors
George has great footwork, just look at 2013-mid 2015.

As others have said I think the twins are slowly improving but they are still not good enough. I have no idea why they dropped off so dramatically but we NEED them back on form.

Maybe they need Thomo back as our Physio?

alien

Referee
they've still been making good metres most of the time, but it has been all the dropped balls that has really annoyed me

alien

Referee
even with only 8 interchanges allowed, there is no reason why the twins can't play 2 x 20 minute stints as a part of the prop rotation. madge having both farah or cook in the 17 means some forwards need to play more minutes, which can make them less effective. this needs to stop! madge, farah or cook in the 17 - not both!

Travitoh

First Grade
Play one or both on an edge far a stint or teo and see if they could cause havoc there? Hopefully get a bit of confidence into them to run hard and break tackles

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I don't think we were ever gonna use them as ball playing forwards. More battering rams that can charge over the line. They haven't even provided that for a while though.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't think we were ever gonna use them as ball playing forwards. More battering rams that can charge over the line. They haven't even provided that for a while though.
It doesn't matter if we want to use them as ball playing forwards.
A defender will look at the twins about to take a hit up. You know you they won't pass so you can rush up on them. You know they won't use late footwork on you so you don't have to worry about that. You know they won't offload so you dont even have to worry about wrapping up the ball first. It makes tackling them so much simpler. They'll still break the occasional tackle because of their sheer size but the majority of tackles on them are easy.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
A defender will look at the twins about to take a hit up. You know you they won't pass so you can rush up on them. You know they won't use late footwork on you so you don't have to worry about that. You know they won't offload so you dont even have to worry about wrapping up the ball first. It makes tackling them so much simpler. They'll still break the occasional tackle because of their sheer size but the majority of tackles on them are easy.

I get what your saying. I can't really defend the twins. They look disinterested in rugby league to be honest. I can defend Sam for the shoulder charge but George throwing elbows is just idiotic.

Pommy

Coach

I have no idea where people get all the stats from it would be interesting to see if the reality stands up to what I perceive, but it feels like our entire team is afraid to offload in comparison to other teams.
I'm not sure if it's something Madge is training in to the entire side and the twins do it even less or what but we have so little free flowing footy across the squad I can only assume it's Madge.