What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Matai

hindy111

Post Whore
Not sure what everyones thoughts where on his head highs..But the first one he did i thought was almost a send off..The guy was standing still and he hits him flush with a swinging arm...
Everytimes i see him play he hits someone High...The NRL have to sort him out and if he doesnt get atleast 5 weeks for tonight id be dissapointed

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He is a grub of the highest order, i'd like a dollar every time Catai grabs his shoulder in a game i'd be able to retire. He didn't miss Humble on that first shot the young bloke shook it off well.

what a joke in the second one when he started walking away if i was ref i would have said 'if you want to walk away mate keep going' and sent him to the bin

Dutchy

Immortal
Kudos to Humble to getting up for a dog shot that actually connected. f**k you Hayne, cat staying down for a fairy tap.

Nickeel

Juniors
f**k you Hayne, cat staying down for a fairy tap.

Would that be the fairy tap that connected with his chin?

It's a moot point; Matai should have been showered and suited up long before that stage in the game.

Nick

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
Kudos to Humble to getting up for a dog shot that actually connected. f**k you Hayne, cat staying down for a fairy tap.
I hate when he does that, fair enough staying down to milk a penalty sometimes, as everyone else does it, but he pretends to be knocked out. As you say from the slightest of touches too.

That said, Matai is a class A grub and only ever seems to tackle from the neck up, how is this idiot not suspended more?

I reckon Reddy and co should've at least stepped in and pushed him around or something after that hit on Humble. They just stood there and did nothing, I'm not asking for an all in but at least step in and stick up for your teamates. Manly rushed in later on at something minor compared to the Humble high tackle.

Dutchy

Immortal
Would that be the fairy tap that connected with his chin?

It's a moot point; Matai should have been showered and suited up long before that stage in the game.

Nick

May have hit his chin, but it wouldn't have hurt a 4 year old.

natheel

Coach
I hate when he does that, fair enough staying down to milk a penalty sometimes, as everyone else does it, but he pretends to be knocked out. As you say from the slightest of touches too.

That said, Matai is a class A grub and only ever seems to tackle from the neck up, how is this idiot not suspended more?

I reckon Reddy and co should've at least stepped in and pushed him around or something after that hit on Humble. They just stood there and did nothing, I'm not asking for an all in but at least step in and stick up for your teamates. Manly rushed in later on at something minor compared to the Humble high tackle.

that wasnt a slight tap, matai collected him pretty good but i agree hayne does tend to milk a bit but so do alot of players

matai needs to sort himself out

Stagger eel

Staff member
what is it with Matai continually coming off like he's been mowed down like a machine gun and then comes back on as if nothing really happened...

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
that wasnt a slight tap, matai collected him pretty good but i agree hayne does tend to milk a bit but so do alot of players

matai needs to sort himself out
I agree tonights was more than a slight tap but he has stayed down as if he's been shot from slight taps in the past. I wasn't talking about tonights being a slight tap, but he still over did the milking.

Nickeel

Juniors
May have hit his chin, but it wouldn't have hurt a 4 year old.

No, you're right; it would have missed a four-year-old by about a metre and a half. An adult, on the other hand, it would have hit across the face. I admit to have been a little dubious about Hayne staying down until I saw the replay. He was well within his rights.

Matai ought to have a good look at his tackling technique. There's aggression and then there's whatever low style it is Matai wants to practice out there. Was absolutely incredulous he wasn't sent off for the hit on Humble. As it was there seemed to be a big delay in even placing him on report. But that's officialdom in 2010.

Nick

Forty20

First Grade
what is it with Matai continually coming off like he's been mowed down like a machine gun and then comes back on as if nothing really happened...

He might have had a valid reason to call for a trainer after Tahu cut him half when he came back on :lol:

Revenge is a dish best served by an angry 102kg human sledge hammer

Runaround Man

Juniors
That WAS a beautiful crunch. Tahu must have been waiting the whole game for that, because they seemed to be playing on opposite sides of the field for most of the game.....shut the Manly fans up around me, I think they were in awe

mickdo

Coach
I have no problem with any player that stays down after a Matai high shot. The guy is a cat and has to fix his game.

I have no problem with any player that stays down after a Matai high shot. The guy is a cat and has to fix his game.

Agreed.

And as for this "slight tap" nonsense (From Daily Tele web report) -

At the time, Hayne had no idea who or where he was. He'd just suffered a high shot from Manly's Steve Matai and was concussed.

Bit rich to assume he laid down for it, though I suppose a bit of his cry-wolf in the past wouldn't help the perception of him.

Also rich for Manly supporters to say he milked it - look at that genetic crime against nature, Watmong, and the number of times he'd throw his hands up in the air for a penalty, after being tackled or fumbling a ball.

Lucky the NRL don't have positive discrimination for players with mental special needs.

Kornstar

Coach
When it first happened i thought there was nothing in it and i was pretty cranky with Hayne........then i saw the replay and understood why he actually stayed down!

The attitude towards Maxwell was appalling and i am confused as to why he was not in the bin for 10? Didn't Ryles get 10 in the bin for asking a question to the ref on Saturday night??????????

Inconsistency is rife among the ref's and it is getting to a serious stage, the quality is poor, i can't remember them ever being this bad......you hear them talking to players like they are in school but then Matai shows complete contempt towards them and they let him do it??? No wonder the players have no idea what to expect!!!!!

Gronk

Staff member
Astonishing that Caylo gets binned last month for doing f**k all and Matai can thumb his nose at authority and not get the yellow card. Watching him turn his back to the ref 2 or 3 times was very poor sportsmanship and his club should not condone such BS behaviour.