What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Witt

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
Bloody Smith wanting to have a settled halves combo at the start of the season, wanting to go with the guy who has performed in the finals. :shock:

What has Dykes ever done in the finals?

Eelectrica

Referee
El Duque said:

2001 when he had his break out season. Probably played a big hand in the Sharks Grand Final run in the Super league too. I didn't follow SL at all so I'm not sure about that one.
So I think Dykes has had more finals experience than Steve Witt ever had.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eelectrica said:
El Duque said:

2001 when he had his break out season. Probably played a big hand in the Sharks Grand Final run in the Super league too. I didn't follow SL at all so I'm not sure about that one.
So I think Dykes has had more finals experience than Steve Witt ever had.

Yes but he has achieved nothing in the finals. One losing GF in a split comp. Wow.

Misty Bee

First Grade
So where are all of the Smith apologists now? HJ? MITS? Colonel?

So Smith is the best coach we can get. Smith is the one who has brought us to our peak. Smith is certain to win us a comp. And it wasn't Smiths fault we had a shit season. It was injuries.

WRONG!!! It was friggin Smith! I've been telling you all for 6 months that Smith needs to go. Now, even Smiths former best mate Georgeie is questioning him.

And Denis Fitzgerald, where were YOU when the club you pay for was mismanaged to this extent?

BRIAN SMITH MUST GO. END OF STORY!!!!!!

Y2Eel

First Grade
misty this is for you.... :-({|= stop bringing other people.into your posts...

I agree though what smith did was disgusting he should have a hard loooong look at how he is going to run things it dont look good for 04 if thats how he has been treating his players.... :evil:

Eelectrica

Referee
El Duque said:
Yes but he has achieved nothing in the finals. One losing GF in a split comp. Wow.

So being an integral part of a winning team in the finals and playing in a Grand Final - even in a split comp is not an achievement? If you say so.

If Steve Witt not had injuries at the wrong time I'm certain he would have had a run in the top side. The game I'm talking about is the game Vs Manly at Brookvale where Hopkins was the 5/8. S. Witt was unavailable for selection and missed his opportunity. It's a shame and I hope he has that chance at Newcastle.
Lightning struck once for the Johns Brothers, I'd love to know if it could have struck twice but probably never will.

lol, yeah Smith is the only one playing favourites, lol.

Bennett (best Coach in the game) and Anderson (Australian Coach) are both well known to be favouritists, and both have won plenty of competitions. Bloody hell every single coach plays favourites.

lol, you think Witt and Solo are the only ones? Damn I could name at least 10 players that have left because Smith has played favourites against them. Some were good players and others weren't so good.

And please don't go crying to me about Witt. Witt's exit has been on the cards for two years now, and Michael was in the same position a year ago, and me and Dust were very vocal about keeping them to Smith and let Smithy know what we thought about Steve leaving. Dust has been mates with the Witt boys for quite a while now, as have others, and you are complaining because an unproven first grader is leaving? Spare a thought for the likes of Dust and Nikki who are losing a mate as well.

And Misty, what the hell do you know about Stevie anyways? Damn how many times did you see him run around this year? Hang on, how about ever?

But that won't stop you from bringing up anything you can to hack shit on Smithy, will it? Sure, maybe in 12 months if Witty has become a star of the Newcastle team it might be a valid point, but no offense to the kid, but what has he done? Nothing? Stuff in reggies that in all honesty cna mean jack squat in Firsts. But now it's just another excuse to hack shit on Smith, hey?

Please, don't let rational thought stop you from crying like a bitch.

For the record, however, having watched Stevie play for quite some time (and thus knowing quite a bit about him and his potential, hey Misty?) I am quite filthy about the way he ahs been treated and the fact he won't be with us anymore.

But he is not the first and he will not be the last, and that's not just at Parra either.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think it's everyones right to dislike Smith if their favorite player was discarded by the coach. But HJ's right if you think it only happens to Parramatta well you know nothing about the game. Why don't you ask the following players whether they thought they were treated fairly by the head coach or retention committee. Luke Dorn, Micheal Monohan, Steve Turner, Chris Hicks, Glen Hall, Wade McKinnon, Mitchell Seargent, Carl Webb, Lincoln Withers, Amos Roberts, Paul Dezolt, Logan Swann, Justin Ryder, Aaron Mercer, Jarrod Anderson and ofcourse Steve Witt fits into that category. and incase your wandering every club is represented in that list.

Misty Bee

First Grade
So HJ says I can't agree with everyone all of a sudden? Why? Because he's Smith's mate!

I've seen Witt play, and thought he was average. That's not the point, Klniger. And if you are too thick/hammered to realis that, I'm not wasting my time spelling it out for you.

BTW, you quote Bennet and Anderson. Gee, they overachieved with their player rosters too, didn't they! I guess if you want to keep comparing Smith to the worst coaches in the NRL, he's in good company I guess!

He's not bad compared to Langmack or Sharp, either!

BTW, as if Smith would listen to an irritating boozed breath frock wearer like you!!!!

And if you thnik the NRL is fullof coaches that tell players they will never get a run in firsts, AFTER they have starred for the club in the sevens, then you need treatment!

Chipmunk

Coach
I think that if Smith thought that Steve Witt was never going to play first grade at the start of the year, then why didnt they let him go and find a first grade spot last year???

It was a close call Chipmunk. They were set to leave last year during the mid-season buy-a-thon, and it was pretty close to a lock, but they were dead set on staying and for some unknown reason they ended up getting another deal. Like I said, it had been on the cards for some time, and its only pure luck that mick now has a 4 year deal and isn't playing for someone else.

And Misty, Bennet is one of the worst coaches in the comp? Mate, you really have lost it.

The Colonel

Immortal
Actually as I have been away until now and this is the first I have read of it I haven't had a chance to respond.

However, as Trader says he has sat down and had a few beers with Witt. Hmmm. Player gets cut by coach, fan asks player how he feels about the coach and player hacks on Smith. Sour grapes, possibly. Clash of personalities, possibly. Coach played favourites, big deal. Player stood up in big game situations instead of Sevens hit and giggle, NO.

Having had the oppurtunity to talk to a few players myself about them leaving - Chan and Green - I was able to get a completly different matter of events. Green was delighted by the fact that the club had one everything they could top help him back on the field but his body just couldn't hack the pace anymore. He knew that Smith gambled on him but he assured Smith the gamble was good one. It didn't pay off.

Chan on the other hand was offered good money to play in Melbourne that the club couldn't match. Said quite a few good things about Smith. Good coach, hard and strict but if you can accept the discipline it was ok.

Funny that a few different players - who are all leaving - can accept the decision without bagging the coach because I never got a chance. If Witt goes on to play first grade then wonderful but we have also signed a lot of players in the past who have had potential and their brothers or fathers have played well here or at other clubs. Jamie Mahon, Luke Goodwin, Daniel Brown, The Capovilla brothers..... and they haven't made it.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
for the ppl that know me, you all know how i feel about Smith's treatment of the Premier league team.
For those that don't.......
I'm sitting here.. CRYING!
I sat at the SFS down the front of the bulldogs army, and watched Premier league get booted from the finals and b&g dust will vouch for me... i sobbed.
I believe every word about Steve almost crying, cos me and him haven't been able to talk to each other since he signed with the Knights, because i get all teary, which upsets him, and we both can't handle crying in the middle of a (example) Trivia night!! same goes for Robson, Wheels, Boydy, and Bubsy... tears! lots of tears!!
Brian Smith's "cleanout" of divvy has gutted my love for this club, because he has gotten rid of (almost) everyone "PARRAMATTA" to me. i can't tell you if i'll even have the same gusto in my cheering next year, because i'll be cheering for someone else's players! If it weren't for Burty i would have NO favourites left! I (at any given time) have been known to have like, 10-12 favourite players goddammit!!!
How can BS be stuck up for wen he treats the players YOU support sooo badly!??!!
i'll admit, smithy is a nice bloke, but i can't honestly talk to him as a mate any longer, because i hear such horror stories about him...
good luck to ya if yas wanna stick up for smithy, i'll be found at a wests game, or a melbourne game, or a newcastle game or a canberra game... got more ties to them then i do to most of our side for next year

bartman

Immortal
JessEel said:
good luck to ya if yas wanna stick up for smithy, i'll be found at a wests game, or a melbourne game, or a newcastle game or a canberra game... got more ties to them then i do to most of our side for next year

Don't do it Jess...

I know it's hard to stomach sometimes, but as HJ said similar problems effect other clubs as well. It's unfortunately part of the life of a player in these sport-as-business days. Loyalty is (and will become even more) rare on both sides, often despite the wishes of either. Our juniors are great, and that's why everyone wants a piece of them, and partly why Parra just can't hold onto them all and have a competitive top 25 at the same time.

Just remember why you first started supporting your team, and feelings that you can get, and maybe that can keep you hanging on through the harder times.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Gotta agree, Jess.

I really admire you for your strong loyalty to those players. That is a wonderful quality to have, and far better than the 'love em one day, hate 'em when they change clubs' attitude that is the go of most supporters. Don't change clubs, just admire those ex Eel players in their new roles. The more supporters we have like you, the better our club becomes.

You sound like a wonderful eel supporter to me! :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
God luv ya Jess.

Just remmember what made you a fan of these guys in the first place...........they played for the Eels.

If they were not Eels, you would never have met them.

In a few good years you will still be their loyal friend, and there will be a new bunch junior Eels to support.

"Tis the circle of life"

Now I'm quoting Timoen and Pumba, I must be watching too much TV.

I hear ya Jess, in a way, and you know I do.

I was the same when Ian got shafted (basically), but I got angry and abusive and not teary. but its the same shit really.

One thing I know that that comforts me is that I don't need them to play for our team for us to be mates, or for me to support them. I know me and the likes of Bubsy, Wheels and Steve will always be able to have a good chat and a beer when we get together in the future, just sucks it won't be as often.

But what it comes down to is I support the Eels, not individual players no matter how much I may like and support them as both players and men. I lost Ian and got Muzza, and there will be others that come along that you girls can stalk....er....I mean support :p :D

And don't forget you have me and Dusty there each week too 8)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Look, I know the feeling jess I really do. But I for one don't want to go to a firstgrade, Prems, SG Ball, Jersey or Mathews game and not see Yourself and the girls there. By all means support the boys who have moved on, but there will be others taking their place, look on the bright side the 2 x Cowboys coming over will need to be welcomed over with open arms when they move in this strange but friendly city of ours.

Latest posts