What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranger Things

azzah72

Bench
So I binged watch Stranger Thing on Netflix over the weekend.

Great show with awesome nostalgia elements throwing back to the great 80's.

Influences like Stephen King & Spielberg.

It has creepy and scary moments but the highlight is just the awesome throwback to the great movies and music of the 80's.

The Cast is great, Notably the kids, Winona Ryder and David Harbour (who I hadn't seen before or don't remember him)

I'd liken it do a weird 80's mix of Silent Hill meets ET meets Poltergeist and Carrie.

Very Cool!

natheel

Coach
Up to the 4th episode. Really getting into it. Riveting and a great nod to older movies. David Harbour is a great actor he was in The Equalizer and I enjoyed him in a few other dirty crime movies too.

OVP

Coach
The opening theme music is 80s synthesizer style. It reminds me heaps of Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon, the cheesy 80s style game Ubisoft did after Far Cry 3. Would be cool if Michael Biehn shows up in a later episode (only watched 2 so far).

Apey

Staff member
Thoroughly enjoyed this series.

There are tons of references, themes and vibes but the most noticeable ones for me were Stand by Me, Twin Peaks, Akira with a couple of ET scenes thrown into the mix.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending was too Twin Peaks. I mean I know the whole vibe of the show was going in that direction with the whole Upside Down vs Black & White Lodge but it felt like that mirror scene finally crossed the line from homage to copycat.

saint.nick

Coach
I'm up to episode 6 (haven't read any posts), what a f**king show. I was first hooked onto this alternate dimension, tear in spacetime stuff when I watched Interstellar, and its really cool in this show

axl rose

Bench
In this world dont have red hair and go missing, no-ones going to look for you
e49b780e76a7a46c8c637b76cf78a358.jpg

reanimate

Bench
The opening theme music is 80s synthesizer style. It reminds me heaps of Far Cry 3 : Blood Dragon, the cheesy 80s style game Ubisoft did after Far Cry 3. Would be cool if Michael Biehn shows up in a later episode (only watched 2 so far).
The whole soundtrack was amazing, it really nailed the time period. New Order's Elegia is one of my favourite songs and they used it really well here, as did one of Metal Gear Solid 5's trailers- I was stoked to see it get a run in two major recent productions, it's one of New Order's hidden gems.

thorson1987

Coach
So have finally started watching this.

Up 2 ep 4 and am hooked.

Not much else to add though as others have already stated pretty much everything.

Pommy

Coach
I thought it was great if a little overhyped in my opinion. I think series two is out for Halloween.

Even had the D10s for D&D

Nerd!!!!

Cric_life777

Juniors
A Netflix Original. When a young boy vanishes, a small town uncovers a mystery involving secret experiments, terrifying supernatural forces

mozza91

Coach
I've just finished watching the 1st season and I really enjoyed it. It's very well written, acted and is a wonderfully nostalic experience. Ryder and Harbour both excell but the kids are the most impressive, particularly the kid who plays Dustin.
The only downside is Mike's older sister Nancy she might look like Emmy Rossum but her acting is truely atrocious and predictable.

Last edited: